March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn (and anyone else) - A classic link crossed my email again today: Train slower to race faster
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn- I agree with @MobyCarp that speed work is the hardest thing on the body and the first thing I back off of when I suspect something is amiss. I also agree that you should focus on slowing down. If You're running your easy runs faster then your goal marathon pace, you might want to rethink your GMP. And still slow down :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn- I agree with @MobyCarp that speed work is the hardest thing on the body and the first thing I back off of when I suspect something is amiss. I also agree that you should focus on slowing down. If You're running your easy runs faster then your goal marathon pace, you might want to rethink your GMP. And still slow down :)

yeah....there is that....both my 15 mile runs were GMP-20, so I might be able to go a little faster at race time....LOL, I'm going to work on slowing down, and keep my GMP the same and just decide on the fly (like 18 miles in) if I want to go for something faster on race day.....there's a 4:20 pacer (9:55 pace) that I was looking to get tucked in wit for the race.......all this is based on things so far, and subject to change.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

yeah....there is that....both my 15 mile runs were GMP-20, so I might be able to go a little faster at race time....LOL, I'm going to work on slowing down, and keep my GMP the same and just decide on the fly (like 18 miles in) if I want to go for something faster on race day.....there's a 4:20 pacer (9:55 pace) that I was looking to get tucked in wit for the race.......all this is based on things so far, and subject to change.

Just for reference, I was running easy runs in line with the paces you are running when I was training for my first sub 4, which ended up with a race pace of 8:50.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 5 miles

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just for reference, I was running easy runs in line with the paces you are running when I was training for my first sub 4, which ended up with a race pace of 8:50.

That's good to know. I'll definitely be slowing it down. My pace goal is pretty reasonable (I think) so I think I'm going to concentrate on keeping all my runs at like 9:45 or slower, just to keep it safe.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    March goal: lose (another)3lbs

3/1 2.54 + core/strength training

Total: 2.54
    And for any prospective @volcanorunners ......don't forget your snowshoes....
    o4w9ap48nc1a.jpg

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 30 miles

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Got a question:

This past weekend, a very dear friend of mine passed away due to complications from ALS. He was only 44, same age as I am. I would like to find a race that supports ALS awareness, research, etc. Does anyone know of any such race, preferably in or close to the Chicago area?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Goal : 60 Mi
    Strech goal : 65 Mi

Date. Miles. MTD. To Go
    3/1. 5.0. 5.0. 55 miles

First mile was into the wind and I had a hard time catching my breath so took more walk breaks then usual. Once I got into the park it was much better and I finished the run feeling pretty good.

March 11- St Malachi 5 miler (partial course preview for Cleveland Half)
    April 9 - Cleveland Towpath 5 miler (maybe)
    May 21 - Cleveland Marathon Half
    June 10 - Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k
    June 11 - Run and Ride Cedar Point Half Marathon (Back up Plan) or Quarter Marathon
  • MobyCarp
    Options

That's good to know. I'll definitely be slowing it down. My pace goal is pretty reasonable (I think) so I think I'm going to concentrate on keeping all my runs at like 9:45 or slower, just to keep it safe.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the musculo-skeletal system trains more slowly than the cardio-vascular system. As a new runner, it's possible that your heart and lungs could support a 9:00 pace for 26 miles, when your running chain won't. I think that's where I am now; the online calculators say I can run a marathon faster than I think I can. Heart and lungs are not my limiting factor.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Got a question:

This past weekend, a very dear friend of mine passed away due to complications from ALS. He was only 44, same age as I am. I would like to find a race that supports ALS awareness, research, etc. Does anyone know of any such race, preferably in or close to the Chicago area?

@RespectTheKitty I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Here's a 5K on July 11th in Chicago:
    http://lesturnerals.org/events/strike-out-als-5k/

On the top of the page, under the "Events" tab, there are other events you may be interested in.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    March Running Challenge

3/1: 2 very slow miles

Goal: 2 of 90

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26 (Registered): 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

The Trail Run at Eagle Mt Park (5 miles) Apr 2 (Registered)
    XTERRA ATX Trail Run (21K) Apr 23 (Tentative)
    Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run (HM at night) May 27 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

It felt good to get out for a bit and run in the sun. I'm feeling soooo much better today. Yoga and foam rolling seems to be helping. My muscles are still very tight. Luckily having a scraped up face doesn't affect my ability to run. It'll be nice when I can sleep on my left side again though. ;)
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Got a question:

@RespectTheKitty I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

Here's a 5K on July 11th in Chicago:
    http://lesturnerals.org/events/strike-out-als-5k/

On the top of the page, under the "Events" tab, there are other events you may be interested in.

Oh, this looks great. And it's at US Cellular Field! I've never been there.
    There's also a walk in September which looks good. Thank you, @7lenny7 !
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Another thing to bear in mind is that the musculo-skeletal system trains more slowly than the cardio-vascular system. As a new runner, it's possible that your heart and lungs could support a 9:00 pace for 26 miles, when your running chain won't. I think that's where I am now; the online calculators say I can run a marathon faster than I think I can. Heart and lungs are not my limiting factor.

I agree with this sooooo much!!

Cardiocascularly, I could have went much faster in my marathon. I was never out of breath or had that lung hurting / heart pounding out of your chest feeling like I've had in every other race. It was my lowest heart rate for a race. Muscularly, my legs weren't having it!! Lol! There were soooooo many people walking beyond the 20 mile mark. I was pleased with the fact that I was still running! I may have been passed by 2 or 3 people at most in the last 6 to 7 miles (with the exception of my fall).

I'm definitely going to try to slow down my long runs further during my next marathon training plan with the exception of a planned fast finishes. I now have first hand experience that time spent running is more important than pace on long runs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I'm learning from everyone's marathons. Your input on what @MobyCarp said just helped reinforce my need to slow down
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Goal: 40 miles

3/1 - 5.48 miles

Just a little under 2 months until my next 5k so excited! Glad it's getting warmer so I don't have to deal with the treadmill!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 7.32 easy with hills

March total to date – 7.32

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward Boston. Run well at the USATF Masters 8K Championship in Virginia Beach.

Today's notes – I cut yesterday's cool down short by a mile, so a mile got added to today's easy run. That changed it from the group run this evening to a run from home on a familiar 7 mile route with hills. At 3:15 PM it was 62º F (17º C), with 20 mph WNW wind. The wind wasn't an issue for temperature, but was noticeable for running effort when westbound. I went with a hilly route because Saturday's assignment calls for 20-22 miles with hills, but the venue for pacing doesn't have any significant hills. So I'll get my hills on other runs this week.

This was the break in run for the next pair of shoes into rotation, white Kinvara 6's. With this pair, I'm putting the shoes into Garmin Connect and Strava. So far, I haven't found a way to tell either of those sites how many miles are on shoes; so they will have the wrong miles on my other shoes in rotation, but the pair I started today will be right as long as I remember to attach them to the runs I use them on. I'll still track in my spreadsheet until I become convinced I will consistently get the shoes onto the runs in Garmin Connect or Strava or both.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)