March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    So my friend that fell off her bike last night wasn't up to walking, so I got to get my run in in the sunshine this morning rather than the rain tomorrow

Started the run pretty much as the local parkrun was ending, which was interesting as I was running up the hill as they were all coming down. One suggested I join them next week!!! At the moment, parkrun might slip into the middle of a long run, but it also might upset my planned slow runs. Today was also the Green Man ultra, but I missed the starting runners. Members of my club seem to have done okay in it (45 miles round Bristol).

My run turned out better than could've been predicted from my recent runs. I think it helped that I took an off-road route with some hill climbing at the start making it different from normal. Average HR was still 161 (max on the run on 204). I didn't feel as tired as early, which is interesting as my past long runs have taken place in the early afternoon, having had a decent meal a couple of hours before, but this was first thing, having had some chocolate cereal straight before. I munch on dried mango if if feel like I need a boost, but didn't really feel like it this time.

Good to get another 9 mile in, having not run much of late. Makes me think building mileage for my HM shouldn't be too bad. Going to aim for a recovery run tomorrow in between raindrops, so I don't have to fit in a run on Monday.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---Rest
    2---3.07 run/walk
    4---2.49 walk

5.56/31

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner nice picture and that looked like a great run!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Well hello sesamoiditis! Long time no see. Please leave. Thanks.

Tentatively knocking off 30 mi-- so new Goal is 90

@dpwellman I thought you were talking to someone in the thread and thought you were very rude for a second! :smiley:

Sorry! Be as rude and obnoxious as you like to Mr Sesamoiditis. He's a *kitten* fuckwit of a *kitten*.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    I love seeing more of the old gang returning like @ariceroni, @WhatMeRunning and @tdbernrd! It is great to have you back with us.
    @9voice9 - did you actually get snickers at the HM? 2:15 is a great time even if you didn't get a PR.

I didn't feel great when I started out this morning, other than that is was much cooler than yesterday. My legs loosened up though and it turned into a wonderful 9 miles. The breeze turned into a pretty stiff headwind when I was running right along the river was making me cranky but when I turned off and didn't have it any longer I realized how much cooler it was keeping me :smiley: It really was just simply a really nice run! Oh also - I did not see or hear any birds today. It was really strange. I can normally hear them down along the water even with my headphones on. My headphones died around mile 6 and all the way home it was so quiet!
    Date.........Miles.......Total
    03/01......0.00........0.00
    03/02......5.20........5.20
    03/03......6.02......11.22
    03/04......9.40......20.62

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 2/27/17 - 3/5/17
    M - 8 m. TM - 9:30 pace.
    T - 10.4 m. TM - 8:50 pace.
    W - 3 m. TM - 10:00 pace.
    T - 7.3 m. TM - 8:38 pace.
    F - 9 m. TM - 9:20 pace.
    S - 9 m. TM - 9:15 pace
    S -
    Total -
  • hannahbananna80
    hannahbananna80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I love running with my dog, gives me double the reason to go. Only thing is it can be frustrating if he drags which is why it is good that I prefer trail running over our local hills. He can run off more freely then. Though he still sometimes can get under my feet as he can follow pretty close! Haha.

4/3 2.4 miles
    Total 5.4

34.6 to go (slow and steady!)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - That may just be the best sounding race ever!!!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 3.5 mi.
    3/2 - 4.0 mi.
    3/3 - 4.2 mi.
    3/4 - 4.0 mi.
    March total: 15.7/100
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Today, I tried to go out and run the trail where my 4/1 race will be held. Apparently there is a bridge closed for repairs. This bridge connects trails to a 2nd section of the park with additional trails. The 4/1 race will include those trails, and there is no other way to access them (legally, anyway) aside from this bridge. It is closed until 3/31, so I guess I'm not going to run that part of the park again until race day.

It is a rather difficult and hilly trail and my pacing was slow, but still much better than last time. I hope to continue to improve, and I still just want to not be last place.

exercise.png

Also, I saw a product today at a sporting goods store. It is a mask to help train for activity at higher elevations. I live at about 1K ft. elevation and my June race course ranges from 5K-6K elevation. I planned to spend a few days driving there and arriving 1.5 days early to gradual get to the higher elevation and have a little time to get used to it, but wondered if maybe this would help. Has anyone in this thread used such a device? Does anyone have feedback?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My "back to running" training plan started today with a 3 mile run. My plan calls for 38.5 miles in March so I'm setting my goal at 38 miles.

Awesome to see you back @WhatMeRunning
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I know a couple of friends that ran the Snickers full Marathon today. Congratulations!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner that is one pretty hill <3 .
    @greenolivetree this is relevant- spent 22k with my mill today lol

Thinking about doing cross tomorrow. My stupid left foot is giving me trouble (it's my shoes, they are beyond spent- can't figure out what shoes to replace them with though so this problem continues -_- )

March 1- 15km
    March 2- 18km
    March 3- 15km
    March 4- 22km

70/250km

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @dpwellman I thought you were talking to someone in the thread and thought you were very rude for a second! :smiley:

Sorry! Be as rude and obnoxious as you like to Mr Sesamoiditis. He's a *kitten* fuckwit of a *kitten*.
    I appreciate the leeway. I have an unnecessarily acerbic sense of humor, I must admit. As for my foot? Well, nothing rest and NSAIDs can't fix-- or more bike time.