Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Perfect morning for a run! Well... if you call 4:30 am "morning".
    I don't know what drop any of my shoes are... but they have the most padding so probably a big drop.

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 34 miles biking
    3/5 - 28 miles biking
    3/6 - 4 miles
    3/7 - 4.5 miles

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I don't know what drop any of my shoes are... but they have the most padding so probably a big drop.

padding does not equate to drop. so for example a lot of the Hoka shoes are low drop but you could hardly call them lacking in cushioning.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    This morning's run was delayed a little while I waited for a storm system to pass by, and then I spent more time waiting for the other runners in the group that turned out to be a no-show (due to said storm)...so less miles than I would've liked, but it's all good.

01 - 13.30
    02 - 9.87
    03 - 18.13
    06 - 13.37
    07 - 7.13

Total: 61.80 / 200
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    In happier news though, I have an awesome new problem. I'm still trying to lose some weight, but last week I lost ~3.5 lbs, and another 2.2 the previous week. That's too fast! So I need to eat even more! Woohoo! Guess I've been being a little too conservative with my estimates, and staying under my net goal a little too much.

I've been trying to make my weight trend sideways for 5 years now, and marathon training makes it hard to see the trend. I can be down a full pound two days in a row, then up 3 or 4 pounds after a rest day. That comes back off with 2 days of running. The fluctuations have to be water and other residuals in my gastro-intestinal system; but the fluctuations can obscure the truth.

Lately I've come to think that I'm mostly seeing water bound to glycogen going away with hard training, and coming back with rest. I think I began to see this a little when I was running 35 miles per week, but it's very obvious when I'm over 50 miles per week with a couple of quality workout days and a long run.

So . . . depending on how often you weight, what you're seeing may or may not reflect reality. The weight can fluctuate more in serious training mode than it does when you're just running the same amount every week. And yes, ramping up the miles can mean you need to eat more to maintain the weight; but if you're trying to lose, you feel good, and your running performance is good, I wouldn't worry about the weight coming off. Time enough to worry about that when you no longer want to lose and/or your running performance suffers and/or you feel awful after losing too much, too fast.

Just for the sake of example, here's my last 7 days of weight fluctuation.

rest day, then +1.2 lbs.
    speed work day, then -0.2 lbs.
    easy run day, then -0.4 lbs.
    long MP interval day, then -1.0 lbs.
    rest day, then +3.0 lbs.
    16 mile snowy run, then -2.0 lbs.
    12 mile run on tired legs, then -0.8 lbs.

Net change over 7 days, -0.2 lbs. I'll call that maintenance, even though the daily numbers bounce around more than they would if I were just conservatively running 35 mostly easy miles per week. Rest day today, and I expect my weight to bounce back up tomorrow morning.

@MobyCarp

Thanks for that! You made me look at my stats. (Sorry, my formatting is a bit different.)

01 Mar – 12.6 km easy; 64.2 kg
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming; 63.4 kg (-0.8 kg from previous day)
    03 Mar – 10 km fairly easy; 64.4 kg (+ 1 kg from previous day)
    04 Mar – 8.2 km including parkrun which was flat out; 64.2 kg (-0.2 kg from previous day)
    05 Mar - rest/walk day; 63.5 kg (-0.7 kg from previous day)
    06 Mar – 14.2 km easy; 64 kg (+0.5 kg from previous day)
    07 Mar - 07 Mar – 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming; 64.3 kg (+0.3 kg)

I'd been confused why I'd noticed I was going up after a rest day, but hadn't realised I was going down after a run day. Apart from today, but I ate a lot of salt yesterday.

This is interesting. I keep meaning to start using a weight trend tracker and actually weigh every day. I suppose I should suck it up and start, lol. Especially as I get down closer to my goal weight. Normally I weigh once a week, same day/time/lack of clothing/post bathroom trip/etc. This was my recent trend:

Sunday, 2/19 - 159.6
    Sunday, 2/26 - 156.8
    Sunday, 3/5 - 153.2

150 marks the top end of my supposed healthy BMI range, so I was definitely surprised to see this much of a drop this quickly. It would be interesting to see how it fluctuates on a daily basis, and how it's influenced by my workout schedule. Right now, my weigh in day is the day after a cross-training day, which just consists of a 1 hour zumba class.

Anyone have any favorite weight trend apps for Android?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    http://runningmagazine.ca/kris-bucci-recaps-5k-run-with-justin-trudeau/

Justin Trudeau is a runner, because of course he is!

I'm sure he squats too... just guessing from those glutes.

Is there some visual evidence to support this assertion?

http://www.thebitbag.com/much-new-justin-trudeau-memes-flood-twitter-due-bubble-butt-photo/228485

ah. that's just what a girl needs to start her morning..... ;)
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    3/01-3.1 miles
    3/02-1.44 miles
    3/03-3.14 miles
    3/04-3.85 miles
    3/05-yoga
    3/06-4.25 miles

Of course as soon as I posted that the registration wasn't open for the Road Race Series, it opened. I'm thankful for my useful coworker who had me join the local runners club and has checked up on me to see if I'm participating. No slacking for me. :D I still have to register for one more half but that opens in May. In the meantime, I'll keep on keeping on with my running, yoga and pilates.

exercise.png

Races
    • 5K - 7/16
    • 5K - 7/30
    • 5 miles - 8/13
    • 5 miles - 8/27
    • 10K - 9/10
    • 10K - 9/24
    • 10 miles - 10/8
    • 10 miles - 10/22
    • Half marathon - 11/5
    • Half marathon - 11/19
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Anyone have any favorite weight trend apps for Android?

Not so much Android, but if you have a Fitbit account, you can sync it to Trendweight.com. I used to have a Fitbit and kept my account just so that it acts as a pass-through... I enter weight in MFP, which goes to Fitbit, which then goes to Trendweight. Unfortunately, you can't enter weight manually there.

I've heard from others who use Happy Scale, but have no personal experience with it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    padding does not equate to drop. so for example a lot of the Hoka shoes are low drop but you could hardly call them lacking in cushioning.
    A perfect example. I have low drop (2-4 mm) trail shoes and mid drop (8mm) road shoes that feel like they have the same padding. Ironically Hokas felt really awkward just couldn't get into them.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for March
    3/1 5 miles - 5
    3/2 10 miles - 15
    3/3 3.1 miles - 18.1
    3/4 20 miles - 38.1
    3/5 REST DAY
    3/6 7 miles - 45.1
    3/7 7 miles - 52.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

For some reason my Garmin won't synch with my Connect app on my phone. Therefore, no Strava upload either. :frowning:

A little rain in my run this morning. it's a cutback week, so lower miles and slow & easy.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Hate starting a month on a rest day.
    3/2 - 5.0 miles.
    3/3 - Grrr...overslept this morning and have commitments after work. No run. Unwanted rest day!
    3/4 - 6.0 miles.
    3/5 - 3.1 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/6 - Life got in the way. Had to get kids up and going early.
    3/7 - WINDY 4.38 miles.

exercise.png
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner WOW nice shoes and beautiful pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    All this talk of shoes makes me want to shop. Hmmm...
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    A perfect example. I have low drop (2-4 mm) trail shoes and mid drop (8mm) road shoes that feel like they have the same padding. Ironically Hokas felt really awkward just couldn't get into them.

I know some people love Hokas, but I'm like you...just can't get into them either. Way too squishy for me.

@ddmom0811 The drop has to do with the difference in height between the toe and heel of the shoe. 0 Drop means that the toe and heel are at the exact same level, no matter how much or little padding is in the shoe. A 10 mm drop means the forefoot of the shoe will be 10 mm lower than the heel of the shoe. You can google your shoes and find out what the drop is.

The book, Born to Run talks a lot about this, but I know there are 2 sides to every story.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I had an epiphany: one of the reasons I run is because I'm too impatient to walk.

I walk a lot in addition to running, and I notice that I frequently get impatient when I walk. Like, I know I can get to where I'm going faster if I just RUN. But most of the time I walk, I'm not wearing the proper bra for running, so any attempts at running usually get nipped in the bud really fast. :smile: