Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Options

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    In Norway, bags of nuts often have a warning on the label: "May contain nuts".

necro quote, but i can beat that. waiting to talk to an intake person for the canadian infantry reserves 20 years ago, i saw a tasteful little wall-mounted display showing a canadian soldier's lunchbox and all its contents.

true story. the 'meal bar' had the following words printed on it, and nothing else: DO NOT EAT WRAPPER. no wonder when i finally did talk to sergeant intake, he leaned over the desk after four minutes or so and said in this big loud whisper: why the *kitten* do you want to join the infantry?

reminds me of an old SNL spoof on the worthers origional candies when i was a kid. I dont remember all of it i just remember the lady saying "sometimes i eat the foil".
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    In Norway, bags of nuts often have a warning on the label: "May contain nuts".

necro quote, but i can beat that. waiting to talk to an intake person for the canadian infantry reserves 20 years ago, i saw a tasteful little wall-mounted display showing a canadian soldier's lunchbox and all its contents.

true story. the 'meal bar' had the following words printed on it, and nothing else: DO NOT EAT WRAPPER. no wonder when i finally did talk to sergeant intake, he leaned over the desk after four minutes or so and said in this big loud whisper: why the *kitten* do you want to join the infantry?

reminds me of an old SNL spoof on the worthers origional candies when i was a kid. I dont remember all of it i just remember the lady saying "sometimes i eat the foil".

I remember this :neutral:

Eta I just tried to google that line to find out who said it and the suggested searches for "sometimes I eat..." were just upsetting. I need brain bleach.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the suggested searches for "sometimes I eat..." were just upsetting. I need brain bleach.

oh! oh! oh!. read this

i promise, you won't regret it.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    the suggested searches for "sometimes I eat..." were just upsetting. I need brain bleach.

oh! oh! oh!. read this

i promise, you won't regret it.

....Thank you. So much. <3
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @canadianlbs - Quite a family of appetite stimulants there.

"Regret" does not quite do aesthetic justice to the presentation....
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    :s

funny-product-name-fails-32.jpg

What's the macros on something like that?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    :s

funny-product-name-fails-32.jpg

What's the macros on something like that?

I believe the premium charged for this item is for reduced hormone levels and fat content, and perhaps less bile, than in the adolescent (green label) or adult (brown) varieties. Could have fewer snips and snails in some samples, more sugar and spices in others.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Tortillas said serving size 1.5 tortilla, 48 grams. Actual tortillas were about 65 grams. Not even close, haha.

I think the serving size is ridiculous. Who eats 1.5 tortillas? You're supposed to tear one in half and leave it for the next guy? :s
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I once picked up a can of pop that on the label had in all caps NO SUGAR NO ATRIFICAL SWEETENERS, 100% natural.

I looked at the ingredients
    First was carbonated water
    Second was evaporated cane juice
    Third was fruit flavoring.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I critique my sister's food diary for her, since I've been logging for years and she's relatively new and not the best at weeding out bad entries. Recently, she logged flour at a ridiculously low calorie number, and I texted her about it and she told me she got it off the label and sent me a picture. It said 100g of flour was 64 calories. I wish! (The label was just a typo, they missed the 3--flour is 364 cals/100g)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    neldabg wrote: »
    Tilapia with only 2 calories. I just knew it was pure BS. Perhaps the company had a printing error since literally every bag had the two calories marked on them. Sure enough, upon double checking with MFP, I saw ranges of 90-100 calories per serving. Can you imagine someone who's trying to lose just a little weight, and not knowing any better, buys this fish in bulk (there was a sale), and seeing their scale move up, not at all, or decreasing slower than usual, and wondering how it is that they're not losing weight optimally despite weighing everything? This is why I pay extra attention and care to food labels.

w92n2qvdm06n.jpg

I bought some shrimp at Walmart once and the package claimed that 85g of shrimp was 45 calories.

Just no.

It's actually not inaccurate, as the weight includes the tail/shell that is left on. So, if you weigh them right out of the bag, you're good by the time you peel, pull and eat. If not? Yeah, it's nearly double that.

It's the same thing with canned chicken breast. The reported kcals/weight are absurdly low, until you realize that it includes the water in the can.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Dana_E wrote: »
    Do any of you remember Olestra? Give it a google.

I remember Olestra, though I never had the privilege of trying it. It does remind me of the customer reviews on Amazon for Haribo sugar-free gummy bears. If you have ten minutes, a box of tissues, and no recent abdominal surgery, I highly recommend reading through them.

I'm nearly in tears- those reviews are hilarious!

Yep. These reviews are worth reading. Go to the one star customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00CMS8RQC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_show_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2DQNJRV27D3P0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000EVOSE4#R2DQNJRV27D3P0

When I was 9 years old they had sugar free gummy bears made with sorbitol. My sister and I ate a large bag. Most of these descriptions are accurate of what ensued.
    The descriptions were hilarious none the less.
    I see Haribo gummy bears are at it again.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Tortillas said serving size 1.5 tortilla, 48 grams. Actual tortillas were about 65 grams. Not even close, haha.

I think the serving size is ridiculous. Who eats 1.5 tortillas? You're supposed to tear one in half and leave it for the next guy? :s

Home-baked tortilla chips? Cut each piece into 8 (jumbo-sized; I usually use the 7" ones for this) wedges and bake till crispy, so 12 chips/serving? IDK, I got nothing.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I once picked up a can of pop that on the label had in all caps NO SUGAR NO ATRIFICAL SWEETENERS, 100% natural.

I looked at the ingredients
    First was carbonated water
    Second was evaporated cane juice
    Third was fruit flavoring.

Macrobiotic Trifecta!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    raymax4 wrote: »
    Dana_E wrote: »
    Do any of you remember Olestra? Give it a google.

I remember Olestra, though I never had the privilege of trying it. It does remind me of the customer reviews on Amazon for Haribo sugar-free gummy bears. If you have ten minutes, a box of tissues, and no recent abdominal surgery, I highly recommend reading through them.

I'm nearly in tears- those reviews are hilarious!

Yep. These reviews are worth reading. Go to the one star customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B00CMS8RQC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_show_all?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2DQNJRV27D3P0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000EVOSE4#R2DQNJRV27D3P0

When I was 9 years old they had sugar free gummy bears made with sorbitol. My sister and I ate a large bag. Most of these descriptions are accurate of what ensued.
    The descriptions were hilarious none the less.
    I see Haribo gummy bears are at it again.

There are enthusiastic 5-star reviews that are pretty good, too - variations on "WWIII Happened in my Colon" in poetic garb.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I bought a snack-bag of peanuts and it said "may contain peanuts." MAY? MAY? I hope it bloody well does contain peanuts otherwise what the hell have I just bought? MAY?!?! Sheeesh.

This actually happens a lot.

Not crazy really, more annoying, is grabbing a salad or something which looks really good and low cal but when you look closer it says "per 1/2 pack" in TINY little letters. That one caught me out a few times before I realized why I wasn't losing. Not just read the packaging but read it very carefully. Sneaky little....
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Ocean Spray makes me laugh. Just the variety and the ensuing marketing.

Regular cranberry cocktail - 8 ounces - 110 calories
    Diet Cranberry cocktail - 8 ounces - 5 calories
    Lite Cranberry cocktail - 8 ounces - 50 calories
    Low Cal cranberry cocktail - 8 ounces - 40 calories.

Apparently Diet and Low calorie are not interchangeable. Lite I think refers to the amount of actual cranberry in the drink as some people find it a bit tart. Challenges like this in the grocery aisles are sometimes too difficult for me when i am in a rush!

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I once saw a package for these little "healthy" Indian and thai meals. I Can't remember the brand, but they were in these cute little cups like easy mac. I picked up one, thinking it might be good to try it for lunch. Looked at the back for nutritional info, and it had like 3-4 servings in it! Each serving was like 170 calories. I almost slammed it back on the shelf.