Are Squat Butts Real??

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell kettlebell kettlebell. I am 48. Even though I have been unable to work out for 3 years from having neuro Lyme Disease...my butt is my best asset lol. It is still lifted luscious and round. I am including this link for youtube with varied people doing exercises. I have Lisa Balash Kettlebell bombshell dvd and love it as well as numerous others but hers is great because it is a slow workout with method as opposed to work out like a class. Capiche? If you have any questions at all let me know. I was a personal trainer and group fitness instructor before I got sick and plan on getting back to it. The kettlebell is my second boyfriend.

just commenting to say, as someone who also suffers from lyme disease, you are amazing! it took me years to manage the pain, but i am back to working out all the time now so i know you will be soon too!

+2
    I have RA and walked with a cane for many years.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Structured training.
    Lots of food.
    Lots of time.
    Genetics.

Failing that.

Adobe gainz.
    Contorted posed pictures.
    Surgery.

LOL for Adobe gainz.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    IG/YouTube is full of people posting trying to be famous and/or selling a product. Much like one sees a model using a bowflex or aerobics DVD with muscular body, its just a form of marketing to sell products. Social media is full of bad information and followed by people that believe and follow them/it.

this..

stop cruising social media looking for your "ideal body" type....

LOL It's everywhere :) I sometimes wish I could avoid it...lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    IG/YouTube is full of people posting trying to be famous and/or selling a product. Much like one sees a model using a bowflex or aerobics DVD with muscular body, its just a form of marketing to sell products. Social media is full of bad information and followed by people that believe and follow them/it.

this..

LOL It's everywhere :) I sometimes wish I could avoid it...lol

just focus on being the best version of yourself that you can be...
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    The best butt at the Gym I go to belongs to a young woman, (under 30 I would estimate) who kills it on her "leg day" after her warm up she goes straight for a barbell and a bench to do hip thrusts with some 315 lbs... 3 sets of 15... then the smith machine for lunges ... then it's off to the squat machine and then leg curls, she spends at least 2 hours "working it" what is her diet like? I couldn't say... I do know she takes her workouts a serious as any.

Loved this story, thanks!
    of course it takes time and dedication to work yourself up to weights exceeding 300 lbs... and this young lady has obviously taken the time and dedicated herself to herself... sure there are smoke and mirrors to enhance fitness models... but if you spend anytime at a co-ed gym... you will find women of all ages putting in the effort... just like dudes. Bro's and Brah's ... so, spend less time cruising social media... and become a participant in your life and YOU won't be asking questions like this.

this..

I'm actually not on much social media currently. I follow that girl's fitness channel on YouTube. (Notice in the one picture I had googled her Instagram and not taken the picture from Instagram.)

I don't keep a serious Facebook account either. Five friends :D .

Actually... the only thing I'm on regularly is Twitter. Which I use for news. And here.... (Rather funny talking about cruising social media while posting on a forum.)

Besides! Nothing wrong with wondering what's physiologically possible. :)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    Options
    I'm kinda late to the party but (lol butt) my two cents...
    Never too late for you! I love all your pictures. I'd happily have your booty. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    dpg2503 wrote: »
    Lol.... Now I know why some posts have kitten in them! Lmao....

I know Right? I didn't get why people were always saying it in posts till it happened to me.

You can for sure build a squat booty. It takes time, progressive lifting, and a surplus. But it will happen. Glute bridges are definitely the way to go in terms of glute activation, along with lunges. My girlfriend complains about her but size but won't do any workouts I suggest meanwhile my butt keeps getting bigger and stronger.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    The other thing is that these beauty standards are so arbitrary. When I was 20, I was supposed look waif-like. Then it was broad shoulders/narrow hips. Now I'm supposed to have a flat stomach and a round butt? How about just getting fit and letting your body take its own optimal shape, instead of trying to look like someone else?

/Rant

No kidding! I grew up in fear of "secretary spread." I tried to explain this to a much younger coworker and he was completely dumbfounded. Could not believe there was a time when women wanted small butts!

My mom used to make fun of my big butt lol. It wasn't "big" just super round "apple bottom".

She had a similar shape to what I have now :) lol... which would have been OBESE back then...smh.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    P.S. I think it's totally acceptable to see something like that and wonder "is this for real?"
    We want to set obtainable/realistic goals, and obviously photoshop and surgery isn't something we can accomplish naturally.

I've been told I can never look like Dana Linn Bailey, and maybe I can't, but that doesn't mean I can't be inspired by her to become the best version of myself possible. ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The best butt at the Gym I go to belongs to a young woman, (under 30 I would estimate) who kills it on her "leg day" after her warm up she goes straight for a barbell and a bench to do hip thrusts with some 315 lbs... 3 sets of 15... then the smith machine for lunges ... then it's off to the squat machine and then leg curls, she spends at least 2 hours "working it" what is her diet like? I couldn't say... I do know she takes her workouts a serious as any.

of course it takes time and dedication to work yourself up to weights exceeding 300 lbs... and this young lady has obviously taken the time and dedicated herself to herself... sure there are smoke and mirrors to enhance fitness models... but if you spend anytime at a co-ed gym... you will find women of all ages putting in the effort... just like dudes. Bro's and Brah's ... so, spend less time cruising social media... and become a participant in your life and YOU won't be asking questions like this.

this..

I'm actually not on much social media currently. I follow that girl's fitness channel on YouTube. (Notice in the one picture I had googled her Instagram and not taken the picture from Instagram.)

Actually... the only thing I'm on regularly is Twitter. Which I use for news. And here.... (Rather funny talking about cruising social media while posting on a forum.)

Besides! Nothing wrong with wondering what's physiologically possible
    . :)

if you want to know what is physiologically possible then I would suggest reading real articles on health and fitness and not cruising social media for it.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

this..

if you want to know what is physiologically possible then I would suggest reading real articles on health and fitness and not cruising social media for it.

I could be wrong, but I feel like 'physiological' is being used in the wrong context here?
  • ndj1979
    Options

this..

I could be wrong, but I feel like 'physiological' is being used in the wrong context here?

crap, yea you might be right...I was speed reading..
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I think there's only so much you can do through exercise and a lot of it comes down to genetics.

^ Hit the nail right on the head.

You can be the best YOU possible, but you can't be somebody else.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I really wish I had some side or back before pictures from before I did Stronglifts the first time three years ago. I have fat butt genes like my aunts and was a gymnast as a child, so I've always been well endowed in the rear. somewhere in my weight gain my butt started getting droopy looking. I started doing Stronglifts while eating in a deficit at about 250 lbs and a month later my butt became crazy perky and round. I don't know if it was the squats or the deads, but it made a huge difference. Like I seriously couldn't stop checking out my rear view in the mirror for weeks. I manged to keep the butt perk through gaining back the weight and then some doing SL off and on through the years.

I added hip thrusts a couple weeks ago, because I'm under the delusion that I'm losing my butt. Logic tells me that is impossible, but a few hip thrusts added to the end of SL won't kill me. I do have pics this time so I'll let you know if I see any difference.

From your photos @SierraFatToSkinny it looks like you have some good lower body fat genes, so I'm sure you will end up with a great butt if you work for it. Having a small waist can also help add to the illusion of a bigger butt. All that hiking you do won't hurt either. In my experience those squats and deads make a difference. Just make sure you are going below parallel in your squats, because that is where I feel it in my glutes, like right at the bottom those glutes fire up and lift me out of the squat. In my case it helped to video myself squatting because I felt like I was getting low when I started but really wasn't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My squat butt is real...
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    edited March 2017
    Options

this..

Boy... you guys sure know how to nitpick.

Does anatomically work better for you?

Nothing wrong with wondering about what's anatomically possible.

Tbh... my original confusion had to do with the constant drum beat of women not being able to build large muscles and ALSO building large bums by lifting heavy. I'm wondering where on the spectrum reality is.

Edit: You know what... I'm sorry. I've been neglecting all the really helpful information.

I'm inspired. I'm currently in a deficit, so my muscle building won't do much. But I can look ahead and see a future where my butt isn't too saggy from weight loss.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I think women can expect to gain .5-1 lb of muscle per month if eating over maintenance and training consistently. But, you can't just gain in your glutes.

You can target working your glutes if you have something to work with. Everyone has glutes, of course, but some glutes are very underdeveloped.

Bret Conteras' Strong Curves is good.

it is more like .25 muscle to .75 fat for every pond gained...

*kitten*, really? That ain't fair :s
    Remind me to never bulk.