What a nitwit!

Options
13»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I saw on the forums even pre-packaged food should be weighed as the actual weight can vary from the labelled weight. This particular nitwit spent two weeks doing this before realising removing the packaging was probably a good idea. Two weeks. After having coffee. I am a smart university student, I promise......

Right on. You know what, though? Putting frozen dinners on a plate (without the tray) feels so dang fancy.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    cordney wrote: »
    You could also put the whole container of whatever you're eating on the scale, tare, then take out what you want and just use the negative amount.

This is what I do. It is very convenient.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nevada wrote: »
    I figured out how to weigh a bone-in chicken breast. Weigh the whole piece. Eat it, and set the bones aside. Weigh the bones and subtract from first number. The bones were 8% of the total weight. Next time I just do the math.

Another tip: Forgot to weigh the bowl now containing soup? Put an empty bowl from the same set on the scale, tare, then remove the empty bowl and put the soupy bowl on the scale.

@Nevada I strongly, disagree with; that assessment & these're just saucer plates for cups, so larger plates might've a; much larger difference between weights:

ql1tfqkbv3tw.jpg
    vvrezh1f0qep.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    8g difference is within a reasonable standard error of measurement (approx. 4%)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to weigh a bone-in chicken breast. Weigh the whole piece. Eat it, and set the bones aside. Weigh the bones and subtract from first number. The bones were 8% of the total weight. Next time I just do the math.

Another tip: Forgot to weigh the bowl now containing soup? Put an empty bowl from the same set on the scale, tare, then remove the empty bowl and put the soupy bowl on the scale.

@Nevada I strongly, disagree with; that assessment & these're just saucer plates for cups, so larger plates might've a; much larger difference between weights:

ql1tfqkbv3tw.jpg
    vvrezh1f0qep.jpg

Not only I agree with you but I also LOVE your plates :)
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

@deannalfisher that's just, a cup's saucer I used as; an example! if that small of a plate has even that, much of a difference of course much; larger plates might've unreasonable standards!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

ql1tfqkbv3tw.jpg
    vvrezh1f0qep.jpg

Not only I agree with you but I also LOVE your plates :)

@Gisel2015 thank you! B)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

@deannalfisher that's just, a cup's saucer I used as; an example! if that small of a plate has even that, much of a difference of course much; larger plates might've unreasonable standards!

my point is that a slight variation in g's likely won't change the overall calorie count of the dish too excessively...the difference between 100 and 106g of something may be miniscule...

I guess if you wanted to be that precise - you could measure all your plates, and take an avg to account for any differences...
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Another brilliant idea I wish was mine.
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    cordney wrote: »
    You could also put the whole container of whatever you're eating on the scale, tare, then take out what you want and just use the negative amount.

When I read this last night I didn't get it. It made me feel like even more of a nitwit. But tonight I read it again and it makes perfect sense. That's the best idea yet for my morning yogurt.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,369 Member
    Options

Or just put the very same exact bowl back on the scale after you eat the soup.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    This morning I was weighing peanut butter. Scale says 50 grams. Didn't look like that much to me but it was early and I hadn't had enough coffee. Went to weigh something else and realized the scale was on ounces instead of grams. Duh.

You weighed out 50oz of peanut butter and thought it didn't look like a lot??

Confused...
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    This morning I was weighing peanut butter. Scale says 50 grams. Didn't look like that much to me but it was early and I hadn't had enough coffee. Went to weigh something else and realized the scale was on ounces instead of grams. Duh.

Confused...

I was wondering about that, too... Maybe she means it was 0.50 ounces and she missed the decimal due to being sleepy?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Confused...

LOL - I'm not THAT bad! I weighed out .50 ounces. :)
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't attempt to do anything in the morning before my coffee.

Except making my coffee. ;)

I've put a mug full of water under the Keurig, put a new pod in and pushed the button, then wondered why my coffee wasn't working. Hint. Put the water in the machine, not leave it in the mug.

One morning, as I was rushing to get out the door, I forgot to put the mug back, imagine my surprise when I heard a running water type of sound, and glanced over to see why it sounded different. Coffee was going everywhere. I never did that again,lol.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »

I've put a mug full of water under the Keurig, put a new pod in and pushed the button, then wondered why my coffee wasn't working. Hint. Put the water in the machine, not leave it in the mug.

One morning, as I was rushing to get out the door, I forgot to put the mug back, imagine my surprise when I heard a running water type of sound, and glanced over to see why it sounded different. Coffee was going everywhere. I never did that again,lol.[/quote]

I forgot the cup when using the juicer I was standing right in front of. I managed to juice the whole carrot slice, not stopping in the first few seconds of spillage, before I worked it out. Carroty denim. Nice. My housemates have still not let me live that one down and I spent a good ten minutes cleaning up the bright orange splatter.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Mine would have to be forgetting to weigh my pan/dish before putting the meal into it, and just not taking advantage of the whole weigh-the-dish/meal-at-the-end-and-then-weigh-your-portion thing. For instance, my family loves 7-layer dip with chips for dinner. I meticulously weighed all ingredients as I added them, but separately, not in the dish. Then later realized that instead of guesstimating the amount I would take out to eat, say 1/6th of it, I could have weighed the whole thing and accurately weighed what I removed. Oh well, maybe next time!!

This was me! What I did one one cozy Sunday was weigh all the typical pans/containers/pots and write the weight down on a piece of paper. One less derp moment for me!

That is brilliant!
  • CynthiasChoice
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »

One morning, as I was rushing to get out the door, I forgot to put the mug back, imagine my surprise when I heard a running water type of sound, and glanced over to see why it sounded different. Coffee was going everywhere. I never did that again,lol.

I forgot the cup when using the juicer I was standing right in front of. I managed to juice the whole carrot slice, not stopping in the first few seconds of spillage, before I worked it out. Carroty denim. Nice. My housemates have still not let me live that one down and I spent a good ten minutes cleaning up the bright orange splatter.[/quote]

How funny! Your story reminds me of the time I had relatives about to arrive from Germany. The flight was delayed, so dinner was delayed and I was getting hungry. I had just finished doing makeup, hair and putting on some new clothes, and decided the easiest, cleanest thing to do was drink a protein shake. I put the milk and powder in the container, snapped on the plastic lid (or so I thought) and then shook furiously. It exploded right into my face, all over my kitchen ceiling and everywhere else, including my two beautifully dressed children! There are no words.....
    I was stunned for a few seconds, and then we all started laughing hysterically. I was finding little bits of spray here and there for months afterwards!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    How much yogurt were you leaving on your spoon?
    I don't worry about the tiny amount of yogurt on my spoon. I do put the yogurt into the bowl on the scale.

I suppose my moment was with salad dressing. So much easier to put the salad on the scale and add the salad dressing than measure it separately.

Well greek yogurt is pretty thick and I don't like to whack my spoon on the side of my bowl early in the morning and wake everyone up. So maybe 10 grams of yogurt stuck to my spoon?

Brilliant idea about the salad dressing!

I'm curious how much yogurt sticks to my spoon now. It doesn't look like much but I probably do whack my spoon. Not worried about waking people up.

My latest kitchen screw up was grabbing Worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce and dumping a bunch of it on the stir fry. It was pretty different.