Apple Cider Vinegar Water - Beneficial or a fad?

Recently an acquaintance of mine mentioned that he drinks 32 oz of water with 2 tbsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I've heard of this before, and heard of many different variations... adding lemon juice, cinnamon, etc. but does anyone else have any experience with it and is there any real big benefit? Can you tell the difference if you take it?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    It's a fad. It's not the best thing for your teeth and I'm pretty sure that it would taste awful.
  • Sunshine373
    Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
    It's a fad. It's not the best thing for your teeth and I'm pretty sure that it would taste awful.

It actually doesn't taste too awful, but I don't want to waste my time preparing and making it if there's no real benefit. Plain water would do just fine! I am mainly curious
  • GottaBurnEmAll

It actually doesn't taste too awful, but I don't want to waste my time preparing and making it if there's no real benefit. Plain water would do just fine! I am mainly curious

Ah! I'm biased, admittedly. I can't stand vinegar :p
  • Sunshine373
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Raw ACV has nutritional benefits...not to be confused with weight loss benefits. It doesn't magically burn fat or anything like that. It does help with muscle cramping.

That's helpful! I don't really want to drink it for weight-loss purposes, I've heard that is helps with digestion and gut-related issues. Weight-loss is one of my goals, but eating more healthy and nutritious foods are my priority.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    I brew my own probiotics - water kefir, lactofermented veggies. They taste good. Do you like the taste of ACV? If not, there are better ways to get similar benefits. Some LF carrots are an easy way to start:
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/southwestern-lacto-fermented-carrot-sticks/

• GottaBurnEmAll

Raw ACV has nutritional benefits...not to be confused with weight loss benefits. It doesn't magically burn fat or anything like that. It does help with muscle cramping.

That's helpful! I don't really want to drink it for weight-loss purposes, I've heard that is helps with digestion and gut-related issues. Weight-loss is one of my goals, but eating more healthy and nutritious foods are my priority.

I would just eat better, tbh. You could have any perceived gut benefits from fermented foods, you know? And save your teeth in the process.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    fad
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

It can help gut flora...but really, just eating better is going to go a long way there. Also, fermented foods are good for this and much tastier.

I primarily use ACV in homemade salad dressings and for my cucumber salad. I do get charlie horses in my calves from time to time and a shot of ACV seems to bring that down pretty quickly, but that's the only time I really take the stuff straight.

In regards to the effects on blood glucose, a glass of red wine has shown the same benefit...and I'd much rather have a glass of wine.
  • Sunshine373

It can help gut flora...but really, just eating better is going to go a long way there. Also, fermented foods are good for this and much tastier.

I primarily use ACV in homemade salad dressings and for my cucumber salad. I do get charlie horses in my calves from time to time and a shot of ACV seems to bring that down pretty quickly, but that's the only time I really take the stuff straight.

In regards to the effects on blood glucose, a glass of red wine has shown the same benefit...and I'd much rather have a glass of wine.

Haha! I agree that a glass of wine would be much more preferable! I think I'll take your advice and just use ACV in dressings or recipes. Thank you everyone for your insights. :smiley:
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I use it in dressings - nicer than ordinary vinegar- and with hot water and honey for colds (no idea if it really helps!)
    With gut issues- I have ulcerative colitis and it does zero for that. And if your issues are to do with acid reflux,I found it can make mine worse.
    It's great for getting rid of limescale :D
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I drink shots of ACV in water when I feel a cold coming on, and it works really well for me to stop the cold from coming on full-force. I don't think that it has any weight loss benefits, though. If anything, the nasty taste might just kill your appetite and cause you to eat fewer calories because of that.
  • boomyrose
    boomyrose Posts: 3 Member
    Absolutely its benificial !! With a healthy diet..like anything else really..u couldnt lose weight on it alone ..plenty of water and excersise
  • cloberella
    cloberella Posts: 2 Member
    My GI recommended it to help combat Acid Reflux and it has worked pretty well, in conjunction with trying to avoid trigger foods.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    boomyrose wrote: »
    Absolutely its benificial !!

in what way?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    According to the add I keep seeing on MFP your friends won't even recognize you after two weeks!

That could have its advantages
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I don't drink it in water like that, but I make all my own sauces, dressings and marinades using Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar. I have gout and since I have started including this in my diet I have not had a full blown episode. And those occasional times that I do, I add Black Cherry Juice to my diet and, between the two of them, it goes away.