Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Just for s&g an article on climate change lobbying. My figs in prior post were a total of three years and about the GMO labelling in US so not directly comparable. But back to climate change this article says $115M yr is spent by firms lobbying against climate change compared to $5M by pro climate change orgs.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    ra0uc24di6jg.jpg

Nice chart but sort of irrelevant to the post about money being on the side of the GMO companies.... all it does is compare gross revenues between a few companies. Not even a comparison between GMO vs nonGMO. But If you go here, it shows that $192M was spent in proGMO lobbying but only one tenth of that, $9M on antiGMO lobbying.

https://static.ewg.org/reports/2016/food-lobby/anti_pro.html?_ga=1.258402122.1162684285.1488099486

I guess I do like your chart in the sense that it gives hope that the truth will out despite massive contrary efforts of industry giants like Exxon Mobil. Though I don't know how much they did spend on anti climate change lobbying....but my curiosity is peaked.

A lot more than Monsanto has in total. And not for one minute did the actual science say "oh well maybe it's not that bad".
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Amerane wrote: »
    Just a couple of notes as someone with a little experience in the field:

1. Not all studies funded by industry (but conducted by a university or other outside organization) are inherently bad or biased, vice versa for independent studies. Research conducted BY industry can be tricky, but again not all of it is bad. The best thing to do would be to look at the journal it's published in and the history of the researchers involved. Is it a respectable, high-impact journal like Science, Nature, PLOS One, PNAS, etc? Are the researchers known for high-quality work? Then it's probably ok.

2. GMO is a tool. Saying all GMOs are bad is like saying all face creams are bad. Each GMO does something different. Some aim to reduce herbicide use, some make corn sweeter, some improve flavor and storage time, others provide protection from insect damage. Some even produce Bt, which is a commonly used organic pesticide with high selectivity for caterpillars.

3. Farmers aren't made of gold, and pesticides are expensive. Even using small amounts of the industrial versions (aka the stuff the farmers use not what you buy at stores) for research can get $$$ (although most companies will donate material for research if you ask). Farmers are probably not wasting hundreds or thousands of dollars on herbicides/pesticides if they don't need to due to GMO crops (which are also not necessarily cheap).

4. Agricultural companies are not evil. Yes, they want to turn a profit, but they also want to maintain effectiveness of their products and not get hit with tons of litigation for literally poisoning the global population. Sure, sometimes the research comes late (ex. DDT), but the current system of pesticide registration usually takes 10+ years before a product actually reaches the market, including extensive research on safety. GMOs have been around for a long time, much longer than people realize. And yet the most valid arguments against GMOs are not for human safety, but for ecological reasons such as having roundup-resistant weeds.

1. Agree not all industry funded studies are bad...but they are all biased. There is no way they couldn't be. Agree not all independent studies are good..nor are they all unbiased...some are biased the other way. As well as reputation of publisher/researcher, I think conflicts of interest are important to consider. Publishers and/or researchers who have conflicts of interest are much more likely to skew results in favour of whoever is throwing money at them or they have loyalty towards.

2. Yes GMO is a tool. I don't think they are all bad, I personally think that none have been proven to be good for the environment or safe for consumption. The safety testing should be at same level as tests for new drugs....right now GMOs are being introduced with zero long term studies on health impact or environmental impact. With no labelling it is impossible to trace whether any of the anecdotal reports of health issues are due to GMOs or not. Some well respected animal studies have shown health problems linked to GMOs. Even if we have been astoundingly lucky so far, we have no way to quickly find a single "bad" GMO either before or after it hits the market and no process is perfect. For the environment, GMOs have not delivered on the higher crop yield, insect repelling, less pesticide using, drought resistant, etc etc promises. In fact, US farmers are beginning to move away from GMOs as much as they can because the GMOs have higher production costs (more expensive seed, need more fertiliser, no less pesticide in some cases more pesticide, more susceptible to extreme weather conditions, etc).

3. As addressed above, yep farmers are not made of $$$, which is one reason why some are now switching from a GMO to conventional or organic crops as a result of a purely economic business decision.

4. I do think Big Agra engages in unethical business practices. I wouldn't say they are "evil" but they are certainly very willing to talk up their products beyond what there is scientific evidence, fight against consumers even having a the freedom to choose whether or not to buy/eat their products, spend millions lobbying for no regulation and immunity from poisoning innocent consumers. It's not exactly ethical neighbourly behaviour and should not be condoned.

1. To say they're all biased is flat-out wrong. I personally know people who have conducted such industry-funded research, and they didn't care what our results were, as long as they were accurate. Few agricultural research programs can exist without at least some funding from industry. The funding goes through sometimes years before the research is finished, so it's out of the company's hands once they sign it over. Plus the company is interested, financially and ethically, if results counter-indicate current usage.

2. Yes, GMOs have delivered higher crop yield, inset repelling, less pesticide-using, drought resistant crops. Ask farmers who plant corn, soy, or cotton.

3. Organic is not more economical due to losses and expensive alternative management strategies. Certain conventional crops can be, but do realize there isn't gmo everything.

4. Won't argue on this as I think it's a problem with most businesses in a free market/capitalist system. But again, no more evil than literally every other company/industry.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Corn never grew this far north. But now I see regular crops. There has to have been a new variety developed.
  • Macy9336

1. Not all studies funded by industry (but conducted by a university or other outside organization) are inherently bad or biased, vice versa for independent studies. Research conducted BY industry can be tricky, but again not all of it is bad. The best thing to do would be to look at the journal it's published in and the history of the researchers involved. Is it a respectable, high-impact journal like Science, Nature, PLOS One, PNAS, etc? Are the researchers known for high-quality work? Then it's probably ok.

2. GMO is a tool. Saying all GMOs are bad is like saying all face creams are bad. Each GMO does something different. Some aim to reduce herbicide use, some make corn sweeter, some improve flavor and storage time, others provide protection from insect damage. Some even produce Bt, which is a commonly used organic pesticide with high selectivity for caterpillars.

3. Farmers aren't made of gold, and pesticides are expensive. Even using small amounts of the industrial versions (aka the stuff the farmers use not what you buy at stores) for research can get $$$ (although most companies will donate material for research if you ask). Farmers are probably not wasting hundreds or thousands of dollars on herbicides/pesticides if they don't need to due to GMO crops (which are also not necessarily cheap).

4. Agricultural companies are not evil. Yes, they want to turn a profit, but they also want to maintain effectiveness of their products and not get hit with tons of litigation for literally poisoning the global population. Sure, sometimes the research comes late (ex. DDT), but the current system of pesticide registration usually takes 10+ years before a product actually reaches the market, including extensive research on safety. GMOs have been around for a long time, much longer than people realize. And yet the most valid arguments against GMOs are not for human safety, but for ecological reasons such as having roundup-resistant weeds.

1. Agree not all industry funded studies are bad...but they are all biased. There is no way they couldn't be. Agree not all independent studies are good..nor are they all unbiased...some are biased the other way. As well as reputation of publisher/researcher, I think conflicts of interest are important to consider. Publishers and/or researchers who have conflicts of interest are much more likely to skew results in favour of whoever is throwing money at them or they have loyalty towards.

2. Yes GMO is a tool. I don't think they are all bad, I personally think that none have been proven to be good for the environment or safe for consumption. The safety testing should be at same level as tests for new drugs....right now GMOs are being introduced with zero long term studies on health impact or environmental impact. With no labelling it is impossible to trace whether any of the anecdotal reports of health issues are due to GMOs or not. Some well respected animal studies have shown health problems linked to GMOs. Even if we have been astoundingly lucky so far, we have no way to quickly find a single "bad" GMO either before or after it hits the market and no process is perfect. For the environment, GMOs have not delivered on the higher crop yield, insect repelling, less pesticide using, drought resistant, etc etc promises. In fact, US farmers are beginning to move away from GMOs as much as they can because the GMOs have higher production costs (more expensive seed, need more fertiliser, no less pesticide in some cases more pesticide, more susceptible to extreme weather conditions, etc).

3. As addressed above, yep farmers are not made of $$$, which is one reason why some are now switching from a GMO to conventional or organic crops as a result of a purely economic business decision.

4. I do think Big Agra engages in unethical business practices. I wouldn't say they are "evil" but they are certainly very willing to talk up their products beyond what there is scientific evidence, fight against consumers even having a the freedom to choose whether or not to buy/eat their products, spend millions lobbying for no regulation and immunity from poisoning innocent consumers. It's not exactly ethical neighbourly behaviour and should not be condoned.

1. To say they're all biased is flat-out wrong. I personally know people who have conducted such industry-funded research, and they didn't care what our results were, as long as they were accurate. Few agricultural research programs can exist without at least some funding from industry. The funding goes through sometimes years before the research is finished, so it's out of the company's hands once they sign it over. Plus the company is interested, financially and ethically, if results counter-indicate current usage.

2. Yes, GMOs have delivered higher crop yield, inset repelling, less pesticide-using, drought resistant crops. Ask farmers who plant corn, soy, or cotton.

3. Organic is not more economical due to losses and expensive alternative management strategies. Certain conventional crops can be, but do realize there isn't gmo everything.

4. Won't argue on this as I think it's a problem with most businesses in a free market/capitalist system. But again, no more evil than literally every other company/industry.

1. We'll have to agree to disagree on the bias issue. History tells us that the scientific studies on tobacco funded by the tobacco industry were in fact biased. So it's not outlandish to say that GMO studies funded by the GMO industry are similarly biased. For the record, I also think organic studies funded by the organic industry are also biased.

2. Ahhh well you see GMO crops have not delivered...and I'm getting my info from farmers. They say the crops worked at first, but within five years the yields were down and they needed to ramp up pesticide use dramatically. A growing number are moving away from GMOs because the yields are no different, the same pesticides are needed, the cost of seeds are much higher than non GMO, and nonGMO can sell at a premium. They're doing it purely as a business decision.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/02/04/money-talks-some-farmers-go-non-gmo-because-of-price-premiums-not-rejection-of-biotech/

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/american-farmers-abandoning-genetically-modified-seeds-non-gmo-crops-productive-profitable/

3. Organic can be more profitable than GMO when you take into account all the costs of production vs. crop prices. Farmers look at maximising returns per acre...yes it may be higher cost to go organic, but the profits are higher. It is also a farming model better suited to small rural farmers..so organic supports small family businesses. I do know there isn't gmo everything since I did say farmers were moving towards organic and conventional non GMO crops.

http://www.non-gmoreport.com/articles/january-2015/more-farmers-plant-non-gmo-this-year-some-considering-organic.php

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/11/30/usda-organic-corn-soy-profitable-conventional-crops-despite-higher-costs/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Corn never grew this far north. But now I see regular crops. There has to have been a new variety developed.

This mentions a little something on that (corn being grown more in farther northern regions of Canada than before): http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/96-325-x/2014001/article/11913-eng.htm

"In Manitoba, corn for grain acreage increased significantly with the development of earlier maturing varieties which expanded areas suitable for corn production. The largest market for Manitoba corn is livestock feed, followed by processing in the ethanol production plant which opened in 2008. The number of farms reporting corn for grain increased to 713 in 2011 compared to 152 farms in 1971. During the same period, the seeded area jumped by more than 20 fold from 3,678 to 85,449 hectares. Average area of 119.8 hectares per farm was almost twice as big as the national average of 56.8 hectares per farm reporting corn for grain (Table 3)."

• lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Weird, it lets me post this, but I have tried twice to link an article and post a quote about corn production in Canada to follow up the comment from jgnatca above and it keeps saying I need approval. Who knew Canadian corn production was the most hot button and sensitive of all possible topics in the eyes of MFP! ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Anyway, the site, without rewriting my not particularly incendiary comment: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/96-325-x/2014001/article/11913-eng.htm

Supports the idea that corn production is increasing farther north in Canada.
  • Macy9336
    CSARdiver wrote: »

1. We'll have to agree to disagree on the bias issue. History tells us that the scientific studies on tobacco funded by the tobacco industry were in fact biased. So it's not outlandish to say that GMO studies funded by the GMO industry are similarly biased. For the record, I also think organic studies funded by the organic industry are also biased.

2. Ahhh well you see GMO crops have not delivered...and I'm getting my info from farmers. They say the crops worked at first, but within five years the yields were down and they needed to ramp up pesticide use dramatically. A growing number are moving away from GMOs because the yields are no different, the same pesticides are needed, the cost of seeds are much higher than non GMO, and nonGMO can sell at a premium. They're doing it purely as a business decision.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/02/04/money-talks-some-farmers-go-non-gmo-because-of-price-premiums-not-rejection-of-biotech/

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/american-farmers-abandoning-genetically-modified-seeds-non-gmo-crops-productive-profitable/

3. Organic can be more profitable than GMO when you take into account all the costs of production vs. crop prices. Farmers look at maximising returns per acre...yes it may be higher cost to go organic, but the profits are higher. It is also a farming model better suited to small rural farmers..so organic supports small family businesses. I do know there isn't gmo everything since I did say farmers were moving towards organic and conventional non GMO crops.

http://www.non-gmoreport.com/articles/january-2015/more-farmers-plant-non-gmo-this-year-some-considering-organic.php

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/11/30/usda-organic-corn-soy-profitable-conventional-crops-despite-higher-costs/

This isn't following a scientific method - you are biased in your analysis, constructing argumentum by strawman, and subscribing to conspiracy theorem rather than connecting the points of data.

1. ....and? It is outlandish until proven otherwise. This is pure biased conjecture.

2. Yield of corn has quadrupled. Bushels / acre have increased from ~50 bushel/acre observed in 1960 to ~200 bushel/acre in 2010.

3. The profits are only higher as this limited scale market serves a consumer base with disposable income. The market has reached capacity and has reached maximum expansion. This is a fad and will not survive an economic downturn.

1. No, bias exists both conscious and subconscious it is part of the human condition. It has been proven that it exists many times over. Funding source does drive a bias towards the vested interest of that funding source. Bias is the reason behind most ethics laws and regulations. Most corruption investigations "follow the money trail" as corruption is simply a type of bias that affects government operations.

2. Now who is biased. You disagreed that nonGMO yields were as good as GMO yields and said to me just go ask the farmers. So, I got sources with farmers saying they get an avg of 15-30 bushels an acre more with nonGMO vs GMO corn. But that didn't match your bias that GMOs are exactly as advertised. So now you're tossing out an (unsupported) historical statistic of 1960-2010 (even though for most of that time, the majority of crops were non GMO as for the first 30yrs of that 50yr span GMOs weren't even grown). If you look closer at the causes behind the historical trend, you'll find that the yield increase is due to farming methods not GMO vs nonGMO. Farming methods are a lot more high tech than they used to be, they have also incorporated organic principles like crop rotation and no till planting. Too a recent study comparing crop yield gains in US vs Europe showed that it was the advances in farming methods not GMOs because Europe had just as much a gain as the US and they don't grow GMOs.

3. GMOs used to be a niche market....so it doesn't matter that something is a niche market or not. What matters is that the farmers are responding to consumer demand (which is what is driving prices up). Organic foods already survived and thrived through the Great Recession...so yeah they'll be around after the next economic downturn.
  • Macy9336
    Organic food production has not actually reached maximum capacity. In fact there is a shortfall and the US is importing organic grains from places like Romania. Current estimate is that between one and five million acres will need to be transitioned to organic production.
    https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/02/20/us-producers-struggling-to-keep-up-with-rising-demand-for-organic-non-gmo-grains/.
  • lemurcat12
    Organic food production has not actually reached maximum capacity. In fact there is a shortfall and the US is importing organic grains from places like Romania.

These two sentences don't seem to go together.

Food production reaching capacity is about how much can be produced (i.e., supply).

A shortfall is about demand.

That there is demand beyond the current point says nothing about maximum supply. It does affect price.

US wheat isn't GMO, so you seem to be mixing two separate issue, organic and non GMO. (Most US sweet corn that's eaten as corn isn't either. Lots of GMO corn is grown, but for other uses.)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This isn't following a scientific method - you are biased in your analysis, constructing argumentum by strawman, and subscribing to conspiracy theorem rather than connecting the points of data.

1. ....and? It is outlandish until proven otherwise. This is pure biased conjecture.

2. Yield of corn has quadrupled. Bushels / acre have increased from ~50 bushel/acre observed in 1960 to ~200 bushel/acre in 2010.

3. The profits are only higher as this limited scale market serves a consumer base with disposable income. The market has reached capacity and has reached maximum expansion. This is a fad and will not survive an economic downturn.

1. No, bias exists both conscious and subconscious it is part of the human condition. It has been proven that it exists many times over. Funding source does drive a bias towards the vested interest of that funding source. Bias is the reason behind most ethics laws and regulations. Most corruption investigations "follow the money trail" as corruption is simply a type of bias that affects government operations.

2. Now who is biased. You disagreed that nonGMO yields were as good as GMO yields and said to me just go ask the farmers. So, I got sources with farmers saying they get an avg of 15-30 bushels an acre more with nonGMO vs GMO corn. But that didn't match your bias that GMOs are exactly as advertised. So now you're tossing out an (unsupported) historical statistic of 1960-2010 (even though for most of that time, the majority of crops were non GMO as for the first 30yrs of that 50yr span GMOs weren't even grown). If you look closer at the causes behind the historical trend, you'll find that the yield increase is due to farming methods not GMO vs nonGMO. Farming methods are a lot more high tech than they used to be, they have also incorporated organic principles like crop rotation and no till planting. Too a recent study comparing crop yield gains in US vs Europe showed that it was the advances in farming methods not GMOs because Europe had just as much a gain as the US and they don't grow GMOs.

3. GMOs used to be a niche market....so it doesn't matter that something is a niche market or not. What matters is that the farmers are responding to consumer demand (which is what is driving prices up). Organic foods already survived and thrived through the Great Recession...so yeah they'll be around after the next economic downturn.

1. Stay on topic please. Strawman construction serves no purpose.

2. There are a multitude of variables in agriculture that have resulted in a 200% increase yield in corn production of which GMO must be included. To further refute anti-GMO nonsense can you differentiate between hybrid seed, original line and "GMO"? Substantiate your claim with data.

3. Did you mean to state organic? Market capacity is a critical business parameter. A business is either expanding, stable, or downsizing - all based on market forces. Organic farming expanded based upon faulty logic and junk science. There is no demonstrable difference between the end products. Organic is nothing more than marketing woo playing on fears of the science illiterate.

I look at the organic industry in the same light as the diet industry - much emotion, no data, little logic, but outstanding marketing preying on the ignorance of the masses through a massive disinformation campaign.

Are you attempting to get closer to the truth or trying to be right?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    I just wanted to comment on the ideas that several people pointed out about organic foods sometimes carrying "more" pesticides than conventional produce, organic being "woo", organics containing high levels of toxic pesticides, more toxic to humans, etc.

The number and type of pesticides allowed on organic foods is a lot different than what is allowed on conventional.

Conventional produce is allowed certain trace amounts of pesticide residues, but it can have traces of a high number and combination of those pesticides. Here is a link to the Code of Federal Regulations that lists pesticides allowed on conventional produce and how much of each is allowed:

(40CFRpart 180 subpart C) - (expand subpart C for specific allowable tolerances and scroll, scroll, scroll) 

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagedetails.action?collectionCode=CFR&searchPath=Title+40/Chapter+I/Subchapter+E/Part+180/Subpart+C&granuleId=CFR-2007-title40-vol23-sec180-900&packageId=CFR-2007-title40-vol23&oldPath=Title+40/Chapter+I/Subchapter+E/Part+180/Subpart+C&fromPageDetails=true&collapse=false&ycord=2674) *All* of those materials are harmful to the environment and wildlife.

Here is a link that shows conventional pesticides allowed on food listed by food.  https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-01/documents/tolerances-commodity.pdf

Organic farmers use very different pest control measures. From what I can gather, USDA certified organic produce is only allowed to have a few certain substances (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9874504b6f1025eb0e6b67cadf9d3b40&rgn=div6&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7#se7.3.205_1601) you can scroll down just a bit to see the list of substances allowed "as insecticides" (it is part "(e)").

Study that showed elementary school-age children’s body burdens of conventional organophosphate pesticides, including chlorpyrifos and malathion, peaked during the summer, when they ate the most fresh produce. But just days after switching to an all-organic diet, their levels were undetectable. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1367841/.

It seems that organic produce may be covered in more physical barriers like silica and soaps instead of malathion and carbofuran; and that exposure to all of those known to be toxic pesticides in subpart C up there will be reduced by sticking to organic produce as much as possible. That's why I do it. I am pretty strict when it comes to certain foods that I know have the highest levels and number of residues on them (like apples and strawberries).

GMOs are prohibited in organic products. While cross-contamination is always a factor, traces of pesticides and GMO products will be significantly lower in organic products than conventional. One interesting benefit of GMO produce is that some of it is being developed for insect-resistance so that farmers can use less pesticides. On the other hand, it's also used to make certain crops resistant to herbicides, so farmers can heavily spray their fields with glyphosate to kill weeds without killing their crop.

As I only know of the US federal regulations related to organic produce, I would be happy to look at other sources and evidence that support claims that organic foods are no better than conventional, specifically as it pertains to exposure to pesticides.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    http://academicsreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Academics-Review_Organic-Marketing-Report1.pdf

CONCLUSION
    This review of more than 100 published academic and market
    research studies clearly shows that food safety and health concerns
    are the primary drivers of consumer organic purchasing. Further,
    research reveals that other factors, such as sustainability, environmental
    claims and even organic certification, do not motivate general
    consumers to purchase organic products in the absence of health
    risk claims. Research by USDA, the organic industry and independent
    academic organizations also confirms that the use of the USDA
    Organic Seal is critical to conveying confidence in organic labeling
    claims, which the majority of consumers mistakenly believe to mean
    healthier and safer food products.
    This research is well known and shared throughout the organic
    marketing industry via trade shows, market research publication,
    trade and mainstream media publications. Organic industry CEO’s,
    marketing directors and research consultants are quoted in sales
    presentations, financial analyst meetings and news interviews acknowledging
    consumer food scares and health risk concerns are key
    components to organic market growth. Some openly acknowledge
    that the industry should engage in fear-based marketing. Extensive,
    annually published trade and market research materials document
    the need to broaden organic sales growth to consumer segments for
    whom creating concerns about personal health and food safety are
    requirements to get them to switch from more affordable conventional
    to higher priced organic foods.
    This research is translated into organic marketing campaigns that
    imply or directly assert food health and safety risks with foods produced
    using competing conventional practices. Our review of the
    top 50 organic food marketers finds these practices to be pervasive
    throughout the industry and not simply by a few bad actors.
    This disparagement marketing via absence claims with direct and
    implied health risk allegations is found on food packaging and labeling
    claims, in-store marketing displays, online campaigns, media
    relations, and extensive advertising in print, radio and television. Additionally,
    research reveals that anti-GMO and anti-pesticide advocacy
    groups promoting organic alternatives have combined annual
    budgets exceeding $2.5 billion annually and that organic industry
    funders are found among the major donors to these groups.
    This review of published research, documented organic and natural
    produce industry practices and advocacy collaborations shows
    widespread, collaborative and pervasive industry marketing activities,
    both transparent and covert, disparaging competing conventional
    foods and agriculture practices. Further, these activities have
    contributed to false and misleading consumer health and safety
    perceptions influencing food purchase decisions. These findings
    suggest a widespread organic and natural products industry pattern
    of research-informed and intentionally-deceptive marketing and
    advocacy related practices that have generated hundreds of billions
    in revenues.
    Finally, the findings strongly suggest that this multi-decade public
    disinformation campaign has been conducted with the implied use
    and approval of the U.S. government endorsed USDA Organic Seal in
    direct contradiction to U.S. government stated policy for use of said
    seal. USDA’s own research confirms that food safety and health risk
    concerns associated with conventional foods combined with consumer
    trust and confidence in the USDA Organic Seal are responsible
    for the significant growth and corresponding profits enjoyed by
    the organic industry since the seal’s launch in 2001. This use of the
    USDA Organic Seal to convey superior food nutrition, safety or quality
    attributes of organic over conventional foods contradicts both the
    stated USDA intention for the National Organic Standards Program
    and the extensive body of published academic research which show
    conventional foods to be as safe and nutritious as higher priced organic
    products.
    As a result, the American taxpayer funded national organic program
    is playing an ongoing role in misleading consumers into
    spending billions of dollars in organic purchasing decisions based on
    false and misleading health, safety and quality claims. Further, U.S.
    government agencies, including the U.S. Food and Drug Administration,
    Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Department of Agriculture,
    which entrusted with the authority to enforce truthful, non-misleading
    consumer protections against such abuses have either ignored
    or become complicit in these marketing abuses.
    These combined marketing and advocacy expenditures disparaging
    conventional food health and safety by organic food marketers
    can be estimated to be in the billions of dollars annually. However,
    it would be interesting to see what would happen if a corresponding
    product disparagement campaign by conventional food industry
    competitors was run. It is likely any similar types of disparagement
    marketing and use of false or misleading health claims to increase
    conventional sales would result in condemning media headlines and
    editorials, mass tort litigation and congressional hearings.
  • BlueScoobie02
    BlueScoobie02 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    What I'm wondering is why people think GMO's are a new thing. If you ate corn or wheat anytime in the last 40 years, you've eaten a genetically modified food. Or are people just not counting the green revolution of the 1960's "officially GMO"?
  • Macy9336

I think it's quite clear you don't understand how funding works in research/academia. As I noted before, I'm talking about outside research institutions like universities that conduct research projects partially (common) or wholly (less common) funded by industry. When we get funding for a project from industry, also realize we're probably also getting funding from taxpayers/the university, from non-industry groups (think National Science Foundation, Xerces society, etc). None of those funding sources bias our results because it is literally our job to conduct objective, quality research. There are a few instances where this is not the case, but it is certainly not the standard. Unless you're accusing all of academic research of catering to "big ag", in which case good luck with finding non-industry, non-academic science to base your views on.

No, I do understand how funding/research works in academia. I was a Grants Officer with unlimited authority. I oversaw billions in grant money going to academia for R&D. Before that as a college student, I wrote and submitted a grant request for CMU. You have an outsiders perspective, I have an insiders perspective.