Shall I cut out Porridge ?

So I usually have about 1 cup of porridge with milk. I want to try and find a healthy substitute that doesn't make me feel so bloated but keeps me full. ( I eat at 6:30am and don't have lunch till 12pm) so I need my breakfast to be realistic ! Oh and I live in Honduras so food variety is limited .... any ideas for a good easy breaky ?

Replies

• marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    What about oatmeal with some fruit?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    So you don't want to eat the porridge because you believe it is bloating you? Or it could be the milk too right?

Either way there are zillions of breakfast ideas. I love a small potato with eggs and salsa for satiety. Yogurt and fruit is nice as well.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Hmmm... I just plugged this Baleadas recipe into the tracker (note: it's using commercially prepared flour tortillas, rather than the 'do-them-yourself' recipe lower down on the page.) It seems that if you get four servings, each one would be 214 calories. That's with cotija cheese.

http://www.whats4eats.com/appetizers/baleadas-recipe
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Try lowfat milk instead of full-fat, if that's what you're using.
  • Danihoo8
    Danihoo8 Posts: 11 Member
    Is it for weight loss reasons that you want to drop
    It? I just added it to my diet and am wondering if it's a good idea. :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Go to the recipes section of the community, there are tons of posts there about what to eat for breakfast.

I generally have a PB sandwich for breakfast because I can make it real quick (read: not away for another 2hrs and my coffee). Between breakfast and coffee (a decent amount of creamer in it, so it's a snack), I don't eat lunch for 5hrs after I get to work. Snacks are sometimes necessary (ie string cheese, beef jerky, etc).
    Before I got pretty sick of them I'd have a slice of toast and 2 hard boiled eggs, sometimes a frittata (freezing them isn't bad).
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    I don't know if you can get it, but I really like Bob's Red Mill 10-grain cereal as an alternative to oatmeal/porridge. I make it with unsweetened almond milk in the microwave. I add blackberries, Splenda and chopped walnuts to it.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    So I usually have about 1 cup of porridge with milk. I want to try and find a healthy substitute that doesn't make me feel so bloated but keeps me full. ( I eat at 6:30am and don't have lunch till 12pm) so I need my breakfast to be realistic ! Oh and I live in Honduras so food variety is limited .... any ideas for a good easy breaky ?

When I lived in a tropical location, my normal breakfast was:
    - a big slice of papaya
    - bowl of homemade yogurt with a spoon of raw muscovado mixed in (DELICIOUS!)

maybe try half porridge mixed with yogurt? Yogurt will up your protein a bit.

No excuse for you not to have fruit regularly
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Is there a chance that the milk is a problem for you?
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    I make overnight oats with coconut milk often and it's never bothered me. I load it with fruit and some almonds on top. I also make my hot porridge with water and then spice it up with cinnamon and brown sugar or apples. Also, I often have congee/jook (rice porridge) in the mornings with an egg.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Whole milk is fine, whoever said to switch to low fat is misinformed. Whole milk is more satisfying and the calorie difference isn't significant.

1 cup is a lot!! I usually just have half a cup. Maybe you are feeling bloated because you are eating too much? Try just eating half a cup and adding some fresh fruit.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Is there a chance that the milk is a problem for you?

That's what I thought too. I make mine with almond milk. Worth a try?
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    I make mine with water then add a bit of milk over it to serve. Also try traditional rolled oats instead of quick oats.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Drop the milk first before abandoning your porridge. Adding some brown sugar instead. The sugar and calories will probably be less than the milk. Also try having a a one egg omelet with it.
    Oatmeal is a wonderful complex carb which doesn't spike your blood sugar and takes a good while to break down through the day.
    It will be hard to replace especially if your calorie allowance is low.

I'd entirely agree with trying switching out the milk and adding eggs to breakfast, but I'm curious about the brown sugar recommendation - what's the rationale for that?
    Everyone has a different experiance of satiety, but I'd find that deliberately/unnecessarily adding sugar would generally increase calories, whilst the meal less filling
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    phill_143 wrote: »
    Drop the milk first before abandoning your porridge. Adding some brown sugar instead. The sugar and calories will probably be less than the milk. Also try having a a one egg omelet with it.
    Oatmeal is a wonderful complex carb which doesn't spike your blood sugar and takes a good while to break down through the day.
    It will be hard to replace especially if your calorie allowance is low.

I'd entirely agree with trying switching out the milk and adding eggs to breakfast, but I'm curious about the brown sugar recommendation - what's the rationale for that?
    Everyone has a different experiance of satiety, but I'd find that deliberately/unnecessarily adding sugar would generally increase calories, whilst the meal less filling

I think he means it has a distinct taste that goes well with oatmeal minimizing the need for milk so it doesn't taste bland.

ETA: I agree. Drop the milk first to see if it's causing the bloat. You may not need to give up your porridge all together if that's what's filling for you if you replace the milk with something else like some kind of nut milk (if you aren't also allergic to nuts) or plain water with brown sugar or apple pieces.