Just not that hungry

13»

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    In order for 1 to succeed indefinitely this, has to be a lifestyle change instead; of a temporary diet! Unless this person's certain that, they'll be able to live the rest of their lives without; ever taking a bite or sip of something that isn't nutritionally dense, they'll most likely regain all of; the weight again plus extra! So what situation's most unhealthy, having a treat that fits into; your goals or banishing them, until you've a; desperate craving & binge with, them often enough; to regress?

I'm not disagreeing with this. I never said anything about you not incorporating foods that are not "nutritionally dense". My argument is that you can still label some foods as "unhealthy". These are foods that should be incorporated with extra mindfulness, that's all.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

We all need to find a balance. Labels of unhealthy & "bad" foods aren't helpful. I don't need to feel guilty because I had an ice cream bar.
    I don't see anything wrong in calling a food "unhealthy" if it is lacking nutritional substance. You can eat "unhealthy" foods like ice cream bars because you are balancing it with other better choices in terms of nutritional items throughout the day.

Unfortunately, some people just don't know the difference between what kinds of foods are packed with nutrition and what kinds are not. They don't have the education/experience, which is possibly why many are here and struggling. Explaining that some foods are "unhealthy" can be helpful to those who do not know the difference. It's not meant to shame or make you "feel guilty".

Please explain what specifically is unhealthy about a 1/2 cup 200 calorie serving of ice cream?

I actually wouldn't say it is. I just used that example because that it what the other poster used as her "guilty" pleasure.

I'm imagining more along the lines of processed, sugar-filled garbage. Foods that are packed with so many chemicals and preservatives that they never spoil, for example.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I do eat a lot of meat, eggs every morning for breakfast, lots of fruits and veg. Good bit of fiber each day. I don't eat any bad food whatsoever, No sweets, fast food, or dining out food and I only eat the amount of carbs I am given with the program and even with them, I try to limit. So far my weight loss is going down (for now).
    There is no such thing as "good" food or "bad food" (unless you have a medical condition), only good/bad food habits.

And carbs aren't bad.

Calories are king for weight loss.

I was given a carb amount not to exceed 174. I was freaked and thought I should be eating no more then 50. I do eat more then 50 each day.

then you would freak at my carbs - 5'3" female, 149 and I take it just shy of 300g a day on my high day and 230 on my low and have lost 10lbs in the last 4 months
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Foods that are packed with so many chemicals and preservatives that they never spoil, for example.

Such as what?
    In order for 1 to succeed indefinitely this, has to be a lifestyle change instead; of a temporary diet! Unless this person's certain that, they'll be able to live the rest of their lives without; ever taking a bite or sip of something that isn't nutritionally dense, they'll most likely regain all of; the weight again plus extra! So what situation's most unhealthy, having a treat that fits into; your goals or banishing them, until you've a; desperate craving & binge with, them often enough; to regress?

I'm not disagreeing with this. I never said anything about you not incorporating foods that are not "nutritionally dense". My argument is that you can still label some foods as "unhealthy". These are foods that should be incorporated with extra mindfulness, that's all.

If you can incorporate it into your diet without causing health problems, it's not unhealthy. The fact it causes health problems in larger quantities is neither here nor there - too much fruit and veg can cause digestive problems, many vitamins are toxic in excess, even water can kill you if you drink too much. What is the difference between an ice cream bar and vitamin A? Both cause health problems if eaten to excess.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

We all need to find a balance. Labels of unhealthy & "bad" foods aren't helpful. I don't need to feel guilty because I had an ice cream bar.
    I don't see anything wrong in calling a food "unhealthy" if it is lacking nutritional substance. You can eat "unhealthy" foods like ice cream bars because you are balancing it with other better choices in terms of nutritional items throughout the day.

Unfortunately, some people just don't know the difference between what kinds of foods are packed with nutrition and what kinds are not. They don't have the education/experience, which is possibly why many are here and struggling. Explaining that some foods are "unhealthy" can be helpful to those who do not know the difference. It's not meant to shame or make you "feel guilty".
    But alas, that's only helpful in theory. In practice, it generates great angst and questions like these:
    seekps wrote: »
    This pretty new to me and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what to eat with carbs that aren't full of sugar? Any suggestions?
    My suggestion would be to read up - from reliable sources; if necessary, learn how to recognize reliable sources - on what carbohydrate and sugar is, what it does in our body, how much you need, where to find it, and then decide for yourself what to eat.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    I do eat brown rice a couple times a week. I really miss my reg pasta as a side. I just can't get past the taste of whole wheat pastas. I have tried multiple brands.

The only one my hubby will eat is Barilla White fiber. It is not a 100% whole wheat pasta but I figure at least I am getting a little whole wheat into the guy.
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    I like the fiber gourmet pastas and crackers. Tons of indigestible fiber and lower calories. I LOVE their cheese crackers.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    I love wholegrain crackers, oatcakes, cereals, bread, and I'm just discovering I rather like brown rice if it's cooked for long enough (a pressure cooker really helps). I don't much really like wholegrain pasta, muffins, dumplings and I'm so-so on whole wheat Tortillas, home made ones can be good but the packet ones less so.

It doesn't need to be all or nothing, you can eat whole grain where you enjoy it and leave it out when you don't.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Foods that are packed with so many chemicals and preservatives that they never spoil, for example.

Such as what?

My question exactly!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    You can get mentally scared to eat more incase you fall off plan that's a usual reason to not 'feel' hungry
    I've done so many plans and vlcd is best fit no hungry as you go into ketosis but I've also had the I'm not hungry attitude when in the zone but once I fall off that I then can't get back into it so eating what you should is essential for health emotionally as well as psycally
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I see fruit has more carbs. Some things seem to have a good carb count and way to many calories for an evening meal. It's hard trying to fill the carb count when your not hungry after eight cups of water throughout the day.

I always wonder about this water makes you full thing. It doesn't work for me. I'm supposed to drink 3 liters a day for medical reasons and while I'm usually around 10 cups, I can still easily fit in plenty of food.
    It doesn't seem to keep me from getting hungry.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »

Please explain what specifically is unhealthy about a 1/2 cup 200 calorie serving of ice cream?

I sometimes use that to make sure I get enough calcium and protein. As long as my calories and cholesterol are fine I'll have a serving. (Cholesterol is doctor ordered.)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I see fruit has more carbs. Some things seem to have a good carb count and way to many calories for an evening meal. It's hard trying to fill the carb count when your not hungry after eight cups of water throughout the day.

I always wonder about this water makes you full thing. It doesn't work for me. I'm supposed to drink 3 liters a day for medical reasons and while I'm usually around 10 cups, I can still easily fit in plenty of food.
    It doesn't seem to keep me from getting hungry.

All these things depend on the person. Lots of protein is meant to make you full, but protein without carbs makes me feel empty very quickly. We're all different.
  • dmc4blessings
    dmc4blessings Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2017
    KWlosingit wrote: »
    I do eat brown rice a couple times a week. I really miss my reg pasta as a side. I just can't get past the taste of whole wheat pastas. I have tried multiple brands.

The only one my hubby will eat is Barilla White fiber. It is not a 100% whole wheat pasta but I figure at least I am getting a little whole wheat into the guy.

I will look into that one
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Carbs aren't "bad" or nutritionally void foods...they're just the latest and greatest of dietary demons...there will be another to come along shortly. There are numerous sources of quality, whole food carbohydrates...I eat a lot of potatoes (and other root vegetables), oats, beans, lentils, etc. Pasta or rice is perfectly fine though they don't pack as much nutrition as other things do..same can be said for their whole wheat counterparts...there's not a ton of difference nutritionally speaking between brown and white rice or regular or whole grain pasta.
    Define ton. Brown rice has significantly higher levels of magnesium, zinc, manganese, iron, phosphorus, fibre and a few dozen other vitamins and minerals. It also has 10% less calories by volume.

Making small changes, like substituting brown rice or, even better, whole grains, can make significant differences to overall health and fitness:

Boston, MA—In a new study, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) have found that eating five or more servings of white rice per week was associated with an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. In contrast, eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with a lower risk of the disease. The researchers estimated that replacing 50 grams of white rice (just one third of a typical daily serving) with the same amount of brown rice would lower risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%. The same replacement with other whole grains, such as whole wheat and barley, was associated with a 36% reduced risk.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/white-rice-brown-rice-whole-grains-diabetes/