March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    I would run laps in a 100 square foot room before I would even think of getting on a treadmill. I hate those things! They F my cadence and stride all up and they give me the rebound effect that makes me think I'm faster than I am.
    Different for me I guess, as I see them as a tool. I got problems pacing myself, and at least on a TM I am in control rather than my single brain cell, which only tells me to go faster, until I break down, which does not help with longer distances

They are a tool and useful at times!! I have an indoor track that I can use, but hate it. I much prefer the great outdoors!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - nice picture of Alex. Will send him a note - thanks @shanaber.

@Stoshew71 - I had a similar problem with my Garmin Fenix 3 and had to google how to reboot it as well. I still feel like I only use about 1% of what it is capable of.

3/1 - 3.3 miles
    3/2 - 4.1 miles
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 34 miles biking
    3/5 - 28 miles biking
    3/6 - 4 miles + strength training
    3/7 - 4.5 miles
    3/8 - strength training
    3/9 - 4.6 miles

exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Goal : 60 Mi
    Strech goal : 65 Mi

Date Miles. MTD. To Go
    3/1 5.0 5.0 55 miles
    3/3 3.0 8.0 52 miles
    3/5 7.0 15.0 45 miles
    3/8 3.6 18.6 41.4 miles

Thought I got out early enough before the wind picked up but I was wrong. It was good for most of the run but at the end I turn a corner to head into wind for a short stretch with no wind breaks and felt like Wile Coyote, legs and arms moving and going no where.
    Apparently I mis-read my training plan and my race this weekend should be a 5k not a 5 miler so I was able to sign up for the 2 mile option instead. With the warm up and cool down I will be well past 5K so it will work out.

March 11- St Malachi 2 miler (partial course preview for Cleveland Half)
    April 9 - Cleveland Towpath 5 miler (maybe)
    May 21 - Cleveland Marathon Half
    June 10 - Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k
    June 11 - Run and Ride Cedar Point Half Marathon (Back up Plan) or Quarter Marathon
    September 10 - River Run Half (maybe)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    (hopefully last!) non-running check in. Finally feeling pretty much human today. I'm down almost 4# from a week ago, and still feeling a little weak, but I can tolerate food, and finally feel some of my energy returning.

Spent a while Emailing back and forth with the coach who made my training plan last night. I have a coaching call set for Monday, to discuss getting back into running after my 8 day lay off. He said that between now and then he wants me to try a few short runs to gauge where my fitness is, after injury and illness, so when we remake my plan, it takes into consideration where I am at now.

Question....what should I consider a short run? I was thinking to try to get in 2-3 miles tomorrow morning, and then maybe something a little longer (5-6) on Saturday or Sunday, does that sound reasonable?
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    sometimes you don't need to reboot a garmin - if the server is down you can have all sorts of annoying problems!

I run yesterday after a 3 hours sleep. not good, but I knew it

today I went cycling on hills near home, at a point I really thought someone was running me over. I think a double bus came 15cm from my elbow. but just before a roundabout a mother *kitten* overtook me on a bend, pushing 2 poor guys riding on the other side on the curb. I heard screaming and I got really scared, luckily nothing happened but that's unacceptable. not in a good mood right now.

anyway, tomorrow 9 miles using my new shoes

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 Wow, that would scare the crap out of me...too close for comfort, for sure! Also, as you mentioned the Garmin servers, that reminded me of link that you can use to see whether they're having problems on their end or not: https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/status

I can't believe how quickly this year is going by...just as it's starting to get lighter in the mornings, this weekend will see the clocks go forward an hour (here in the US, anyway). Back to darkness I go for the entire run again.

01 - 13.30
    02 - 9.87
    03 - 18.13
    06 - 13.37
    07 - 7.13
    08 - 13.37
    09 - 10.27

Total: 85.44 / 200
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 If you're jealous now, just wait. I've got a trail run planned in Colorado Springs for Sunday morning!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Haha! He'll just love letters. The last letter from him he wanted "news from the outside". I just don't follow any. They are doing hand to hand combat last I heard. He's going to be a Calvary scout.

Edit- they can only have letters. No newspaper articles, or clippings or goodies.
    @Elise4270 postcards are okay too, or does it have to be inside an envelope?
    If he's still there for a bit (might take between 1-6 weeks for mail from here to there) I'll send him a card!
    Btw, doed cavalry scout really mean with horses? That would be totally awesome :-)
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @Orphia and @girlinahat thanks so much for the Libra app feedback, will definitely download that one. Now just need to get into the daily weighing habit, and let myself not freak out about the fluctuations, lol.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Question....what should I consider a short run? I was thinking to try to get in 2-3 miles tomorrow morning, and then maybe something a little longer (5-6) on Saturday or Sunday, does that sound reasonable?
    Tough call. Trying to plan the best distance when I just started back to running was the toughest call of all. You shouldn't have lost all that much in comparison, so you're probably good to just start back with a short run mileage from about a month ago. Your judgement is best, you know best where you're at and possibly capable of. Good luck!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Orphia he will be there in boot camp until May 11th. Then and additional 3-4 weeks of AIT. Idk if the mailing address changes, but he'll be at the same base.

Thanks to everyone! Many of you know he's struggled to find his calling (outside the shennigans of youth).

They are doing a lot of running! He did 2 miles just in 14 minutes. :wink: and lots of ruck hikes.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Tough call. Trying to plan the best distance when I just started back to running was the toughest call of all. You shouldn't have lost all that much in comparison, so you're probably good to just start back with a short run mileage from about a month ago. Your judgement is best, you know best where you're at and possibly capable of. Good luck!
    Thanks. I think 3 tomorrow would be about right, that's the shortest distance I've run in a while. For sat/sun, I'll see how I feel after running tomorrow. main goal is to stay healthyish so I can still run my marathon in June.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »

I have the same problem with going too fast as well. I've set my running app to verbally tell me when I go too fast or slow.
    Which running app are you using, as mine (Runkeeper) tells me my pace (and calls me Maggot), but I need one to tell me to slow down (or up my pace if I go too slow), so an app where you can pre-set a pace would be great. Should not be too hard, and you could do it with Garmin, where you could create trainings, but not certain if you can still do that with "Connect"
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Hate starting a month on a rest day.
    3/2 - 5.0 miles.
    3/3 - Grrr...overslept this morning and have commitments after work. No run. Unwanted rest day!
    3/4 - 6.0 miles.
    3/5 - 3.1 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/6 - Life got in the way. Had to get kids up and going early.
    3/7 - WINDY 4.38 miles.
    3/8 - 3.45 'mill miles, then upper body weights.
    3/9 - 4.8 treadmill miles at Trek class.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

juliet3455 wrote: »

Like many others I have multiple types of Running Experiences.

1: Zen - Everything is flowing - floating along - no niggles, twinges, easy breathing etc. etc. Happens most often when doing trails through the bush along the Riverbank Hills. Feel like a kid cat jumping fallen trees, quick short agility steps around - through ruts, washouts, roots, rocks etc.

2: Battle - A struggle to get into the rhythm. Pace feels off or shoes don't feel right or shirt is rubbing, ankle, calf, knee, hip, ribs or arm seems to have the dreaded Niggle.

3: ARGG - Why do I run, this is foolish. Lets just turn at this corner, cut across the park and I can be home in 2 km.

Nice! Totally agree! I would add 1.5: Just a nice, comfortable run. Feels good once you get rolling, smooth, relaxing, but not without some effort here and there.

I find most treadmill runs default to 2. I'm like the Princess and the Pea on a treadmill.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Haha! He'll just love letters. The last letter from him he wanted "news from the outside". I just don't follow any. They are doing hand to hand combat last I heard. He's going to be a Calvary scout.

Edit- they can only have letters. No newspaper articles, or clippings or goodies.
    @Elise4270 postcards are okay too, or does it have to be inside an envelope?
    If he's still there for a bit (might take between 1-6 weeks for mail from here to there) I'll send him a card!
    Btw, doed cavalry scout really mean with horses? That would be totally awesome :-)

That would be cool! But there's been no mention of horses. I suspect something more like drones or something hi-tech!

I think post cards at fine. They just can't have anything that might distract them from their training.

He's a people person. So I can just about guarantee he'll write back as he has time.

I've developed a, not so manageable, case of greater trochanteric bursitis. I scheduled a shot but its April 21.... Be forever away. So I'll be trying to hit the bike rather than walking or running.