30% carbs - 40% protein - 30% fat

Help. I can't find good examples of how to do this. I just want ideas and examples of fairly small meals (300 cal) that fit these macros. I'm just trying to find easy suggestions, and nothing I look for fits

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    That's a big chunk of one's calories to spend on protein, and naturally going to be a challenge. Any reason for this?
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Suggested by the trainers. I just want to see some examples to decide if this sounds do-able or reasonable. I can't find examples, so I don't know.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    lean meat (chicken, Shrimp, turkey) are my go-to proteins; with pasta/potato/sweet potato for carbs - easily customizable for goal macros
  • deannalfisher
    I would also look at your logging - some of your entries are vague - what is 1 lasagna? did you weigh it compared to the serving size on the box?
  • fitbethlin
    I'm not eating that way now. 1 lasagna is 1 serving from a box that only contains 1 serving. I assume you are looking at the Amy's Frozen Lasagna - https://www.amys.com/our-foods/vegetable-lasagna

This is a suggestion from the trainer I just handed a lot of money over to. I just want sample menus or days or even suggestions of protein powder or bars to fill in the blanks to see if this is reasonable.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    chicken breast, vanilla protein powder, cottage cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt are a few of my favorite protein choices. For carbs, I like brown rice, sweet potato, Kashi Blueberry waffles, veggies
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    Help. I can't find good examples of how to do this. I just want ideas and examples of fairly small meals (300 cal) that fit these macros. I'm just trying to find easy suggestions, and nothing I look for fits

Here's a Korean dish I've made, obviously this is a few servings but you get the idea:

3it1pz2weaku.png

I could also recommend stuff like ground turkey, lean ground beef etc to fill in the protein quota. Protein powders are nice if you are on the go.
  • fitbethlin
    What vanilla protein powder? I can't find any that will fit that macro list. All the trainer recommendations are chocolate, which I despise (I know, I know, I'm insane). Eggs put me over the fats really really fast.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    What vanilla protein powder? I can't find any that will fit that macro list. All the trainer recommendations are chocolate, which I despise (I know, I know, I'm insane). Eggs put me over the fats really really fast.

usually the flavors don't change the macros of the protein powders so much. I use myprotein, its solid. You can get 90% or 80% content ones, here is what 90% vanilla flavor looks like:

h6zbliv4lg9p.png
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Suggested by the trainers.
    I understand, but for what purpose?
    I just want to see some examples to decide if this sounds do-able or reasonable. I can't find examples, so I don't know.
    Doable - yes - eat meat, fish, egg whites and protein shakes.
    Reasonable - nope - you'll have to base your intake on meat, fish, egg whites and protein shakes.
  • dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    The ratios your trainer is proposing is essentially The Zone diet, by Dr. Barry Sears. If you google that, you should find lots of menu examples. Good luck!
  • deannalfisher
    edited March 2017

I use 1egg and then egg whites together - which works - with some kind of all purpose seasoning (Mrs. Dash or similar)

46g of egg whites is about 5g of protein - so its easily tweakable for your goals
  • fitbethlin
    I'm with you on that deannalfisher. I went with this group because they were supposed to provide specific nutritional advice. Instead (after charging my card), I got a standard printout of meal ideas. 60% of them are things that sound awfully unappetizing for me or that take more prep time than I want. I need protein powder/bars that can help me without requiring much time as part of the plan, but all their recommendations are chocolate. Annoyingly, chocolate makes me nauseous. (I know, I'm weird.) I'm dealing with some unpleasant time constraints right now (caregiving, long working hours, lots of travel, etc). I paid them based on the idea that I would get a very specific plan, customized to my situation, then I would just execute the plan and not have to spend any more cognitive energy on this. Sadly, none of that happened. I want to see a sample game plan or menu, try it out, and see if this is something that I want to continue. I can come up with plenty of ideas of things that fit, but I'm exhausted and just want to see a sample menu that I can follow and evaluate.

• fitbethlin
    Suggested by the trainers.
    I understand, but for what purpose?
    I just want to see some examples to decide if this sounds do-able or reasonable. I can't find examples, so I don't know.
    Doable - yes - eat meat, fish, egg whites and protein shakes.
    Reasonable - nope - you'll have to base your intake on meat, fish, egg whites and protein shakes.

I feel like "doable" and "reasonable" for me are things that I'd like to define. No one else knows anything about my goals, my day-to-day, etc etc, so those are subjective terms that only I can really evaluate.

I'd love to know what protein shakes (that aren't chocolate) actually work to meet these requirements because most of the ones I've looked up have different macros.
  • fitbethlin
    dovnkels wrote: »
    The ratios your trainer is proposing is essentially The Zone diet, by Dr. Barry Sears. If you google that, you should find lots of menu examples. Good luck!

The Zone Diet uses 30 protein/40 carbs/30 fat. I want 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I'm with you on that deannalfisher. I went with this group because they were supposed to provide specific nutritional advice. Instead (after charging my card), I got a standard printout of meal ideas. 60% of them are things that sound awfully unappetizing for me or that take more prep time than I want. I need protein powder/bars that can help me without requiring much time as part of the plan, but all their recommendations are chocolate. Annoyingly, chocolate makes me nauseous. (I know, I'm weird.) I'm dealing with some unpleasant time constraints right now (caregiving, long working hours, lots of travel, etc). I paid them based on the idea that I would get a very specific plan, customized to my situation, then I would just execute the plan and not have to spend any more cognitive energy on this. Sadly, none of that happened. I want to see a sample game plan or menu, try it out, and see if this is something that I want to continue. I can come up with plenty of ideas of things that fit, but I'm exhausted and just want to see a sample menu that I can follow and evaluate.

How about you tell them that you did not receive what you expected to get and either need what you expected or a refund?

If that doesn't work you can do a dispute with your credit card company. This is easy to do...and something many merchants fear as they are charged more or dropped if their chargeback ratio goes up.

My other half is a caregiver who took up my suggestion to get massages regularly to help with the stress of this, which is a part time job on a good week and a FT job on bad weeks.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    dovnkels wrote: »

The Zone Diet uses 30 protein/40 carbs/30 fat. I want 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat.

If you do the math, the difference is pretty insignificant.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I wouldnt try making every single meal fit those macros. Prelog your day in the morning or day before and see what you end up with at the end. This way you can easily tweak things so you end up at your macros of choice.
    I'm set at 40/30/30 c/p/f, sometimes i hit them, but very rarely spot on. I'd drive myself nuts trying to get them bang on, close enough is good enough for me.

As for protein powders. My top picks are MyProtein, (they have a bajillion flavours that will fit your choices), and Optimum Nutrition.