Does anyone else have "rest guilt?"

I know rest is an essential part of a fitness plan, but I can't help but feel guilty resting if I have time to exercise. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• fitfiercemom
    fitfiercemom Posts: 7 Member
    YES lol
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    YES

I have been told to; get over it, enjoy the down time and to go for gentle walks on rest days or do lighter exercise like yoga.
    Guess which one I have been doing!? lol
    Pilates is a godsend.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    absolutely. Eventually though, you get to the point you have to rest and sleep.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I used to but I'm more disappointed in lowering my calories if i take an extended break now lol
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Definitely. I have mostly stopped taking rest days unless I have to (like if I'm traveling or sick). Instead I vary my intensity and have some easier days mixed in. So far it seems to be working fine for me.
  • nspink22
    nspink22 Posts: 83 Member
    I've already run 5k today, walked another 5k, and did a weight training session. I feel pretty tired, but still feel bad sitting around haha
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    I'm actually laying in bed sick now, but my stupid brain won't stop guilt-tripping me! Ugh.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Not guilt, although I often feel good and want to get some work in. But, then I remember that if I don't rest adequately, my training will suffer.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2017
    I used to feel weird about it, but I've accepted it and its value. My rest day is the day before my race pace day on my current training plan, and not taking a rest day affects the quality of that workout.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Why would you want to feel guilty about doing something that is an essential part of your fitness plan? Don't listen to the voices of guilt. Focus on the importance & role of rest. Pat yourself on the back for having a good plan & for following your plan!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    I do. :( And the bad thing is that EVERY TIME I have a rest day, I tell my boyfriend how much better my workouts are the next day. And I STILL have a hard time taking one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    nspink22 wrote: »
    I know rest is an essential part of a fitness plan, but I can't help but feel guilty resting if I have time to exercise. Anyone else have this problem?

No...because it's part of the overall plan, and that's where I actually make my fitness gains. Recovery is invaluable...running yourself into the ground isn't particularly smart.

Also, recovery days don't mean just sitting around doing nothing...I still go for a walk or a recovery ride or do some yoga, etc...it's just rest from more vigorous training so that I can recover and improve. I also take that time to go do fun stuff with my kids and live my life...fitness is important to me for sure, but it's just one aspect of my life and health...there are a lot of other things that go along with good livin', and balance is key.

this for sure ...
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I don't care for rest days, at least I did not use to - but as I am getting older, I'm trying to accept that they are necessary. Addressing the associated guilt for doing so is something I am currently dealing with.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    No, because rest days are easier to deal with than my workouts and recovery cratering because of overdoing it. There's a reason that rest days and deloads are incorporated into workout programs by people who intelligently design them.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I'm also on team "used to."
    There was a time when I thought I had to train 6 days per week, but I always felt like dog poop and started dreading my workouts, was not making much progress.
    Now I train 4 days per week, and if I don't really feel like it some days I might skip. I take my extra days to focus on recovery, and I feel 10x better now, not only in the gym but all day long.
    There are times when maybe you should push yourself to go and do a workout even when you're not feeling it, and there are other times you should just stay home/prioritize other things.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I used to, but once I learned more about the value/benefit of rest, I was much more comfortable with it.

Also, there's a difference between taking a rest day, enjoying life outside of exercise/workouts, and being lazy. The first 2 I'm OK with, the last one... not so much.

Ditto...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    for the longest time yes...then I got injured because I wasn't taking care of my body and resting...so now I do a much better job of it...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Rest might be my least favourite part of the process but it's vital.

They are mostly an intellectual enjoyment for me and they leave me chomping at the bit to get back to it
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited March 2017
    Only if it's an unintended, i.e. unplanned, rest day.

My training schedule is usually planned weeks in advance, including rest days and recovery weeks. If it's a planned rest day I just enjoy it. If it's an unplanned rest day, like yesterday where my workout time got taken up by things outside my control, it bugs the crap out of me. In fact, I've shifted my training schedule for the next 3 days around now to allow to make up yesterday's missed workout. I normally wouldn't bother except yesterday was one of my important interval sessions for the week and next week is a scheduled recovery week so I'm not worried about digging too deep and struggling to recover.
  • fizzie5
    fizzie5 Posts: 14 Member
    Rest days are imperative to progress as earlier posts say have a walk and enjoy the down time.
    Muscles need to repair so keep hitting them and you'll hit the buffers in no time.
    The key is consistency
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,341 Member
    @cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Also, a rest day/recovery day is a whole lot more palatable than having to take weeks/months off because you were a bone head...ask me how I know.

Bonehead here agrees fully.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    No.

I rest when ever I think I need it and have never regretted it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Not guilt, but when I run regularly, I miss it on the days I'm not scheduled to run. I don't like when I'm not able to do it on vacation, etc.

Right now, though, I'm trying to work back into running after straining a tendon and just started lifting this week to gain back my strength before I start working back into running.

I'm so sore even though I'm lifting super-light weights that I'm delighted to have this weekend off.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I have my cardio machines in the living room with the television and the sofa. I no longer care to sit and watch the tv. I'd much rather move.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I used to not like to rest, but I've gotten used to it. I do take 1 rest day per week. Sometimes I walk or do yoga, but sometimes I don't. I do try to make my rest day on my busiest day so I don't really have time to think about it.