WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Husband took off bandage horn thingy. Maybe a 1 1/2 inch horizontal stitched wound on forehead, and 1 inch wound on edge of eye brow. Husband was abit startled to see it, but after I carefully cleaned it with soap and a washcloth, it looked better. I was careful not to scrub just used my clean fingers to dab and washcloth to pat, rinsing of often with clean water. I didn't know he was taking off the bandage until I heard a meek voice say, "Rebecca?". Poor guy.
    Becca
    Nurse Becca in
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Sarah - the artwork idea sounds really good. <3 Once it's out there it seems to hurt less. Changes always create anxiety. When we say yes to something we have to say no to something else. That's how we grow. Staying the same is not an option, especially if you are not happy.

I was thinking about the "spark joy" thing with relation to food. I eat so many lovely things that spark joy. It's not about denying myself or excluding this or that. It's just about eating really good food. Food that lifts my life. Seeing food as a struggle or denying yourself is never going to work in the long term. It should be a joy. Our fish kebabs tonight were heavenly. <3:D Of course you do have to get enough exercise into your day so you can eat without guilt, but guilt is not a good way to live your life. We are not bad people because we enjoy something. Guilt only leads to binging and remorse. I am not a fan of restricted diets, be they Paleo, No Sugar, 5:2 or whatever. Just eat well. Eat beautifully. Spark joy.

Love yourself, love your food. Eat mindfully.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    A friend just sent me what to do if you think someone is having a stroke.
    1 ask them to smile
    2. have them repeat a simple sentence.
    3. have them try to raise both arms
    4. the new thing to look for is have them stick out their tongue if it pulls to either side it is a symptom

She sent it to me because if you get the person help with three hours all the effects of a stroke can be reversed. Time is of the essence!
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: I finally have some time to do more than read. I had a wonderful time at the horse expo last weekend and it was a joy to meet Katla in person. Rori was right, it was like meeting an old friend. Her DH was a real sport hanging out with three horsecrazy women. He and my DD found they both like buckskin colored horses. My DH who is not a horseperson was willing to throw hay to our horses while we were gone so kudos to him too.

Ginger - What do you eat to get in 30 grams of fiber? I am supposed to be increasing my fiber but am finding it hard. I am currently working on getting 25 grams per day.

Lanette - I currently have a pair of waterproof hiking shoes made by Bear Paws. I really like them.

Loving all of the DGK pictures!!!

Charleen - Congratulations on making the semifinals! I love that quilt.

Katla - Glad DH got his surgery done and is doing well.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the comments on the dress, all... Our 8th anniversary will be this June. Second marriage, blissful happy change from my first marriage, which was to an Eeyore. If you ever watch Last Man Standing, my Corey is just like Mike Baxter, just a little less vocal about it.

I always get tickled at the "I married my best friend" thing. Might work for some, but I HAD a best friend. I love her a lot, but pretty sure she doesn't want to marry me. I wanted to marry a husband. So I did. He was calling me "Mrs. Hannon" within three weeks of our first date, but took him a couple months to actually ask. ;)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather I like your philosophy on eating well, I aspire to cooking and eating like that more and more. The fresher and less processed the better.

Today I sparked some joy by tackling a lot of decluttering, cleaning and paperwork today in my P.J.s. Also made a lovely lemon cake for DH. DD comes home at midnight and I am determined to set the alarm to be awake to give her a giant hug!

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    MICHELLE - you were right what a wonderful film and wonderful women at least they were recognised i. the end

Kate UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Fff
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – Same number from Georgetown, GA called; I picked it up and said, “Fire Department, where’s your emergency – it went silent. So this next time I think I will answer ‘Bambi’s *kitten* House”. I’ve decided that I would answer it since it is a recording session. Maybe when they are informed to NOT call my number, they’ll be blocked.

Becca – Hair looks good – silky. All 4 of my granddaughters have longish, very thick hair. All but, one is very tender-headed, so I have rarely been able to comb their hair. I got Mother’s mirror and brush she got when she went off to college as a present. I took it to the glass shop and had the mirror replaced. They only glued the new mirror over the 1st one and did a crappy job; so I refused to pay for it, saying I had wanted it recessed and I knew it could be done; I made such a scene the owner asked me, not very politely ‘to leave and he wasn’t going to charge me’. So I took it to another glass company that I have used; they agreed it was a crappy job and they could sit it down into the frame. They said that the first people should have broken it out then place the mirror into the frame. Picked it up the next day and was done as I had told the 1st ones. I need to see if I can bleach the bristles and polish the silver. When she married, her last initial actually did not change. Mother used to have long auburn hair which she wore in a braided bun in the back; she cut it after having a bad wreck because she could not wash it herself because she could not take off the neck brace. Started spending the $$$ to go to a ‘beauty shop’ to get her hair done (washed). This was has what is supposedly ‘natural’ bristles. It feels so good to brush your hair with it.

DYS sent a picture to us where he busted his head open when he rose up and hit the “T” bar on the post when he and another man were putting up a pig trap. When he hit the other man turned around immediately and by that time he was totally covered with blood. A head injury looks a lot more serious from a small area. His was shaped like a “Y” … it looked awful. They had to do a MRI to make sure he had not ‘cracked his skull’ before they could sew it up. This is the same son, who in 4th grade fell on a tin can top that was sticking up at a 90° angle and sat up and watched them put in close to 15 stitches. The nurse wanted him to lay back; he was not going to. I told the nurse to ‘just let him watch’.

Margaret – When my BnL had his stroke; my sister heard him (felt him) get out of the bed to go to the restroom. She sleeps with a C-pap and dosed back off to sleep, then realized that he had not come back to bed. She went in and he had hit something and bleeding really bad from the head. She went out in the hall and screamed for help. I think they got him to the hospital under that 4 hour mark. The surgeon said that he was 4 hours away from being ‘dead’. They operated on him 3x in as many days; all lasting 6 – 10 hours. Other than some weakness in his arms, he has completely recuperated. Nothing short of a miracle. His testimony was awesome! One thing we had noticed back in early October when we all got together at the beach is that he seemed to get ‘angry’ quickly over the smallest things. Later in the month, but, before their trip, he spent 2 days in the hospital with some symptoms of a stroke; but, the MRI did not show anything. They put him on a seizure medication while he was in the hospital to keep him from having another seizure. They did not know if the seizure brought on the stroke or the other way around. They all told him that it was the worst, most extensive bleed that any of them had ever seen in their practices.

Thanks for the symptoms to look out for in a possible stroke patient.

DJ – Great view!

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~ I am up with Faith and Buddy , I am in bed with Buddy at the end of the bed... he will come up closer later...
    Tom called to make sure I got up here ok..
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    DJ - That looks like a cool place to be. Live music and waves. Two of my favorite sounds. Hope you have a great time.

Lisa - agree with everyone... that dress is gorgeous. I love the unexpected. Nice!

Skuehn48 - To get to 30g - I'm adding ground flaxseed and chia seeds to my foods where I can. And taking Metamucil before meals. I'm trying to get more from good ol' fresh fruits and vegetables, beans and nuts/seeds. A big salad - mixing ground flaxseed with olive oil and vinegar or Ranch. Beans. Yogurt with blue berries or raspberries and add chia seeds. And... occasionally Miralax (17g fiber).
    I'm also trying to limit carbs to 25g per meal. It's like a freakin' Sudoku puzzle... but I'm determined to figure this out. The goal of 30g is to push me to work on this. My last colonoscopy wasn't optimal. My doc says I need more fiber! And of course - water. J

Ginger in Texas

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Gggg
  • cbw1958
    cbw1958 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cathy, since I retired I don’t wear make-up unless I’m going somewhere. I also don’t wear a bra unless I’m going out of the house or someone is coming over. When I get home from going out I often change into my pj’s. I love retirement. LOL

DJ - So jealous! I cannot wait to retire! Just tired of having a schedule! No bra sounds wonderful! It is the first thing to go when I get home! The picture of the beach warmed my heart...we are having a snow storm, roads closed, white outs...I just close my eyes and think of the beach!

Beth – very familiar with Orchard Park, pretty town! Lots of relatives in East Arura! From a large Italian family, Mom has 7 siblings, most in the area…36 first cousins! All over the country but most in Buffalo area.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon – so hard being away from the grandkids! I have been to Portland a few times, beautiful!

Lenora – So glad you had the moment! I need one! My Mom has always been thin but not the best skin, and I did not get the thin but got the skin!

As I mentioned we are having a snow storm...at this time of year really depressing! My son and girlfriend went skiing for weekend so making the best of it...I hate snow!

Crazy week at work, today just too busy...looking forward to the weekend!

Hope everyone has a nice one!

~Cathy in the freezing snowy UP of MI~

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I am a book-a-holic. I've had no "dry" days. :noway: I also live in a town with a library that offers a program called library to go. I check out electronic books. It is managed through Amazon. Right now I'm reading a book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, First Star I See Tonight. I've been on a waiting list for it. I am a happy reader, and saving a lot of money on paperbacks. :smiley:

Becca: Your hair has a nice natural wave. Lovely. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I'm so glad you shared the information with us about strokes. DH had one a few years ago & was stubborn about going to the doctor. We finally made him go, but he ended up with some permanent damage to his vision because he waited so long to get help. This is not related to the current eye surgeries. His visual damage from the stroke is the visual portion of his brain. He's been tested and is still legal to drive. :heart:

Sue in WA: I enjoyed our day so much. DH says "hi." :bigsmile:

DJ: What a glorious view you have from your room. Thank you for sharing it with us. :smiley:

DH is doing better and I got to go to yoga today for the first time this week. Our teacher didn't come due to a conflict and one of the students stepped in and did a great job. I have a riding lesson tomorrow and didn't get any time with Arrow during the week. I missed getting to work with him. DH's eye surgery and follow up appointment took all the available time. I'll make the best of my lesson tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hey Super Sisters!

Jammie Day has been a delight - and now I am off for FOUR glorious days! Got a checklist... it basically consists of "go to the pool." LOL. I suppose I will do some housework and yardwork and such... but I am just glad to get a little break from work.

DH decided we should skip the gym, tonight... so, I am ever so glad to have fasted all day. I would hate to have to try and skimp on dinner. I really don't do well with that. So, I have almost all of my 1400 calories to play with. Yay.

Sharon - HUGS!! I am hoping things can only get better...

Lisa - LOVE the dress - gorgeous!

NYKaren - ((Hugs!!)) hope the declutter can help you turn your mood around. Activity of any kind - ACTION! - usually helps, for me.

Rita - if that boy can't make you smile, I surely don't know what could! ((Hugs!!))
    ydailey wrote: »
    Re - Insurance companies are never happy unless they've explored every possible option for not paying for something.

Yvonne
    - TELL me about it! Aetna employs this legal firm... every time you have any treatment exceeding a certain dollar amount, they are ALL over you trying to see if it was some injury that they can sue someone over... When DH broke his ankle, they sent letter after letter - and even after he told them (several times) that there was no one to sue, they kept on. So far, I have only had to tell them "no" once... but, I expect to hear from them again, every time I go in for any treatment.... *sigh.* Talk about Ambulance Chasers!

Katla - so glad your Honey can see!

Becca - the hair looks great!

Sarah - stress probably has much to do with your cravings, recently... I ALWAYS want bad stuff when I am stressed out. They call it comfort food for a reason, Sugar. ((Hugs)) And love me some Beatles... now I am singing that song, too... LOL.

Heather - tonight, my joy is Braunswauger sandwiches... with thin sliced onions, tomatoes and cheeeeeeeeese. Mmmm. I agree - guilt is no way to live.

DJ
    - aw... I miss the beach! Even when I lived inland in Oregon, I used to go regularly... *sigh* It's a long haul from Dallas. :/ Thanks for the vicarious Beach experience.

Well, I am off to slice onions and tomatoes and cheese. If you had told me when I was 12 that a liver sandwich would be one of my most favorite things to eat - a TREAT - I would have rolled with laughter.

Hugs for everybody!!

Re in TX