WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Karen - Thanks for the summary. I will definitely have a look at that. :flowerforyou:
    And now you are giving me Instantpot envy. :sad: Can't justify it as I am home all day to mind stuff and it takes up room. I'm making yoghurt right now, using my small oven. The porridge setting also looks good. Love the pinhead oatmeal.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    Uuuu
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Rita ... Love it!

Prayers for my 88 year old dad appreciated. Just now in surgery for twisted bowel. Hoping for best case scenario ... they take out bad section and reattach two ends. Worst case is removal of bowel and a colostomy bag.

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    Options
    Rita love it.

Beth prayers for Dad.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for the link to the personality test! I enjoyed the experience. I never expected to be labeled an adventurer. :bigsmile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Katla - nor did I expect "Architect" but I have found the summary strangely liberating in that it has allowed aspects of myself that I found troubling to be more appreciated by me. I'm enjoying myself more!

Heather <3 xxxxxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Common Courtesy Day, French Bread Day, and World Poetry Day!

goochinator - 3.5 pounds in a month is slow, sure, but it's not bad. Better to go slow, steady, and sustainable than to get too ambitious and burn out. I know people say that you can lose weight by cutting calories alone, but I'm like you... if I'm not working out, then my results tend to be minimal. Much as I wish it were otherwise, the workout program is going have to be a permanent lifestyle change.

Heather - I've been taking turmeric for awhile and I think it's helping with my arthritis. I also take glucosamine/chondroitin complex.

Kate - That is some parade! Loved seeing your photos.

Re - We try to keep the A/C off as long as possible, but I came close to giving in this week. Managed to resist by turning on a fan and sitting right in front of it for awhile. The pollen is also an issue... the cars around here are covered with yellow dust.

Allie - Hang in there! I hope things will settle down at your office and you'll be able to find your place again.

Ginger - Our old house is riddled with moths, especially the pantry. I'm in the process of doing a thorough clearing out and cleaning, and slowly replacing all of the containers with nice, airtight containers from Oxo.

Lanette - Thanks for that graphic. I needed the reminder to be grateful for all the good things in my life.

It's a windy day here. I'm excited because my blueberry plant and potato starts have arrived so I'll be planting soon. Still waiting on the pomegranate tree and some bare root roses.

While doing my grocery shopping yesterday, I re-stocked all the veggies I like to keep for snacking. Hopefully that'll give me a healthy alternative and help me cut down on sugar. I was overdue to shop and got low on the healthy stuff. Another good thing is that while I was out at Third Thursday I found out our little market is now doing a produce box. I signed up for the "kids box" even though we don't have kids, because it was focused on healthy snacking. Each box will have fresh produce and a protein (hummus, natural peanut butter, etc.).

Holding all of you and your loved ones in my thoughts.

-Yvonne in TX
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, on the train to Toronto, it is about a 4 hour ride. I have successfully ignored the refreshment trolley. I brought my own healthy lunch and did my workout this morning. Having dinner tonight, a work thing so I am affirming with y'all as my witnesses that I will do well.

Loved having all of you keep me company on my trip. It is fascinating reading all your posts. Imagine if they made a movie about all of us meeting, sitting around a super huge wooden table. I think we would gab for hours lol!

I recognize and appreciate the pain and sorrow many of you are experiencing now and I am sending you a warm hug.

Wishing the best for all!

<3 Sarah, almost in Toronto, Ontario.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :) One thing that Gretchen Rubin said in her Happiness Project Manifesto is "What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa." It goes perfectly with my #1 Happiness Commandment "Be Barbie". I love reading about all your lives and activities, but am so happy in my life that doesn't include cooking, decorating, grandchildren, travel, horses, church, and the many other things that enrich all of your lives. And with that, I'm sure many of you look at my life of dog walking, dancing, riding the exercise bike, knitting and watching TV as a life that would not be fun for you.

:) Jake comes home today from his week long trip to Southern California. Late this afternoon I have to drive for an hour to pick him up where the airport shuttle will drop him off.

Katla, Happy Anniversary.

:)Sharon, I read "Year of No Sugar" and was inspired to continue being committed to the eating plan I already had. Completely eliminating all sugar in the absence of a true allergy seemed more that I wanted to do. My eating plan leaves out all the traditional sugary foods (desserts, doughnuts, muffins, etc) with very rare exceptions. What has helped me most is creating boundaries that work for me and sticking with them.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Yvonne - Both hummus and real peanut butter are trigger foods for me. :o I can't have them in the house. :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth sending hugs and strength to you all while you await your dads surgery

NYKAREN
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Rita ... Love it!

Prayers for my 88 year old dad appreciated. Just now in surgery for twisted bowel. Hoping for best case scenario ... they take out bad section and reattach two ends. Worst case is removal of bowel and a colostomy bag.

Beth

Prayers going up for your Dad, Beth. (((Hugs))) <3

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sarah - the mental picture is quite a sight of a huge table at which we are all gathered. I cannot imagine the noise. We actually would need a week to 10 retreat to have enough time to meet and speak to everyone (well I would anyway, I'm a talker). Brought a big smile. Thank you. :)

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Gloria – Wow, give him a hug from us! Migraines can be random or triggered… I would certainly ask the doctor if the migraines and the heart issues are related! - and would stay away from any caffeine or other stimulate in the mean time.

Lisa - You are so good about looking inward and making choices to make you happy and fulfilled… You are a great role model.

Allie ((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) try to take some time for you!

Lanette - I would love to hear more about “Direct Care Clinics” is it a local thing? A group? ?????

Beth – sending good thoughts to you and DH

Barbie – I love that you have found what works for you and honor what works for someone else, there is too little appreciation for different paths to the same end in this world.

So I have had a couple of cooking scores and one big flop recently…but thought I’d share the current fun one, so I like soup – don’t love it, but like it, generally the creamy fat filled ones are my favorite, I also like the ones in Chinese restaurants… But try as I have to find a broth base I liked, I have failed.. so when a friend at yoga mentioned she had a great soup base; and I had all the ingredients at home I had to try – so here it is

1 Tbsp Miso Paste
    1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
    1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce
    1 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
    5 cups water
    Use your imagination for greens/vegies & protein.
    Enjoy!

I have used this with greens, veggies of all types, added noodles, added fish, shrimp, tofu, even one time ground beef (minced) and a can of tomato paste, I added coconut milk one time for a creamier soup.. Every time I’ve made it I’ve loved it, and it is very low calorie to start – to crazy with the add ins and the calories could go sky high…

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Beth - prayers for your Dad. Lots of hugs and healing wishes.

Kim - soup base sounds good. I love soups. I should try this one.

Ginger
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,419 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi Kim,

About Direct Care: Here's the link to the clinic we go to: http://washingtonpark.md/ If you read the story and Dr. Paul's blog, there's good info about how he made the decision to go that route. It's truly like going to a doctor 50 + years ago. The office is old but serviceable and clean, once you get a relationship with them you can email them and the docs themselves answer or call...no more going thru layers of office staff like we had before.

We switched to this clinic while we were still covered by my insurance at work so surgeries were covered by that, but for day to day stuff, blood tests, scripts - we bypassed insurance.

There might be clinics similar to this in your area, I'd probably do a search on "direct care clinics" and see what pops up. Lots of Dr. Paul's patients have this coverage and then a policy for "catastrophic" medical situations (surgeries) which has to be less expensive than what health insurers are offering now.

Here's another plan much cheaper than the current ACA - check out: https://www.libertyhealthshare.org/ . It's a Mennonite cost-sharing health coverage, not really insurance. I heard an interview the other day with a doctor who has put her whole office staff on this.... It doesn't appear the patients need to be that "churchy" - but just share some basic tenets about good health (not smoking/using tobacco) and being good people. I didn't read the fine print - not sure if you need a recommendation from a pastor, some of the religious ones I've seen do require that.

I am going to look at it a replacement for Medicare if our Regence costs go much higher, but will first check with our local hospital to see if they've encountered payment problems/situations with them. Looks like they'll pay for any doctor/hospital anywhere in the US-check out the program options, there are three, the top one pays $1 million per incident and costs $199/month for a single person from 30 to 65, with a $500 out of pocket per year if I'm reading this right. Again, I'm not the expert at all on this.

Third, check out Surgery Center of Oklahoma -https://surgerycenterok.com/ They are a cash-only surgery center. This is an example of a surgical model-don't think I'd fly to Oklahoma for surgery but there might be more like this in the country.

Insurance companies are gouging people and the taxpayers in my opinion. When these alternative medical care models are able to be profitable and give excellent service - there are truly good options so folks won't have to feel they've been left in the lurch if the Federal healthcare program changes.

And by the way, never be afraid to ask the doctor him/herself what the discount would be for their services if you pay CASH. If a person is able to save thousands of $$ on a less-expensive plan and bank that money, they might be able to pay a lot less by negotiating the fee up front.

Just takes some digging to find them. Good luck!

I've gotten a lot bolder in the last few years demanding better quality and less expensive health care.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Beth: Prayers for your dad. (((HUGS)))

Barbie: Thanks for your good wishes. We have plans for dinner out, DH is napping and I've spent time cleaning house. We're a wild pair. :laugh: We are happy & this is a good day. Thanks to Heather I've discovered I'm an adventurer, and that is both unexpected and fun. I'll take it. :bigsmile:

Becca: I'm glad you tossed in your anchor. I've been missing you & wondering how you are. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: How is Zak getting along? :heart:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I agree with you. Our men are lucky we allow them to share our time. :bigsmile:

Karen inVA: Thanks for your good wishes. :smiley:

When I took my personality test this morning a program hitchhiked onto my desktop. It wanted to become my browser. I like the browser I use so I tried everything to get rid to it. I finally rebooted my computer and called apple. The reboot did the job for me. I've been on the phone with apple support and although I vanquished the program myself, I am very grateful they are there.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy