WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2017

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    GLORIA ~Prayers for you and Zac. How scary on top of all the other problems y'all are dealing with.

MELANIE ~ So glad you are back in your house. Congrats on the weight loss.

LISA & ALLIE ~ Prayers for both of you facing a possibly unknown future.

Life is good here today! So thankful for all our blessings.

DH has gone to the gastro doctor to evaluate the pr0gression of a abdominal aneurysm. I know this can be very dangerous and am glad it is being watched. If he could lose some of the huge amount of weight he has gained since quitting smoking, I think a lot of his physical problems would be resolved.

Carol
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Katla, happy anniversary. You and your husband are among a very special number of those married long term. An accomplishment to be proud of. Do you have a wedding picture to share with us? I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing it.
    Enjoy your day.

Kim from N. California I discovered Bolthouse dressings shortly after I had bariatric surgery. I love them.

Janetr okc.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Gloria - Hope Zac can get his appointment sorted soon. Sounds as if a pacemaker might be in his future, but I'm not a doctor.

Allie - (((((HUGS)))))

Lisa - Good luck with your decision. I know how difficult those kind of decisions are. But taking charge of our own lives is vital for happiness. :flowerforyou:

Off in a minute for lunch out with my friend. Just waiting for her to arrive.

Happy Anniversary Katla!!! Yes, a wedding photo would be wonderful! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota, start downsizing now! You'll thank me when you move to the RV!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Mary from Minnesota, start downsizing now! You'll thank me when you move to the RV!

Thanks for the advice! I plan on having a large garage sale in the spring. I think I will go through my House and purge everything we don't need to have.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I was "gone" for 4 days - our WiFi went out and the new modem finally was delivered by UPS at 5:15 yesterday afternoon. We have a little "leaf" antenna DH taped to the window so was able to bring in some really neat PBS channels, some giving international news from Japan, Korea, Germany. And he watched a lot of DVD's of TV programs from the 50's, all black & white - a huge collection I'd gotten him for Christmas a couple years ago.

I went to a Starbucks "hot spot" and downloaded/viewed emails a couple times when I was in town grocery shopping but other than that I was off-line. Missed you all and logging into MFP but other than that, it was a good vacation from internet "Junkmail". We are one of the few persons left on the planet who doesn't have a smart phone!

I picked up a Gretchen Rubin book " Better than Before" I want to get started on - thanks Barbie for that recommendation.

I see I have over 350 posts to catch up on, it's going to be another rainy day. So will take a look at them. I need to repot little tomatoes I started a week ago from seed.

I took a peek and saw some discussion on health care costs. DH and I belong to a "Direct Care" clinic - for under $100 per month we have access to our doctors for as long as we want as many times as we want. They do NOT take insurance. We purchase a lot of our prescriptions thru them and pay less than the regular insurance co-pay. Blood draws and tests are also very minimal cost. I had a complete abdominal ultrasound last year and the cost was well under $200. Our docs still make money doing this. Even tho we are now on Medicare we still use them for our primary docs as so many good docs left our area after Obamacare came on the scene. :p

Better get busy - will check in later-

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X 10 X 35

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    50°F yesterday and only half of that this morning! I am still walking! Getting ready for the first of my 2- 2 mile walks. I just have to dress warmer!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Allie, I'll give your advice back.....one day at a time. That goes for everyone with troubles. That's all we can do is take care of today, tomorrow will take care of itself. One more.... you have to have rain to see a rainbow.

Now, I need to listen to my own advice!

Yesterday was a high stress day with lawyers causing issues. Straightened out by end of day, but........

Today must give Chewbacca a bathe, then he goes for shots and them I go to the doc for disability reinstatement.

At least the RV is set and will be registered before the closing so we have a place to go. PODS is scheduled for pickup next Wednesday, and closing for house is on the 31st. 10 more days of hell!!

Rita from CT
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Grits - she isn't sick, she wrapped herself up all by her lonesome
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    (((Rita))

Lisa love the poem.

(((Allie))) You remind me that as I go through difficult times to slow down and take deep breaths. Under stress my breathing becomes shallow and my blood pressure goes up making everything worse.

Changes at work are always nerve wracking. Just keep doing the terrific job that you do. Make sure you say nothing negative about the young people coming in to do their jobs if anything try to help by asking them if there is anything you can do to help them. If you perceive them as a threat they will act accordingly, and it will not help anyone. The bonus is you might make new friends at work.

(((Beth))) I so agree with you. We do not ask for the burdens that are plunked into our lives. We get through them the best way we can. Getting upset is a normal reaction and running low on patience is too. Carving out those times for me whatever it is a lunch by myself, a trip to the flower store and buying myself flowers, a hot bath with Epson salts and essential oil, a walk, or reading a fun story helps me cope. AHHH just thinking about that makes me feel better.

(((Gayle))) it is so hard to watch a loved one struggle. I admire your attitude of finding what your mother is doing right. I hope you are finding time to take breaks for you. When DH was in the hospital I would take long breaks down in the cafeteria and read a fun book. I did the same thing when I visited mom in nursing home. I would spend the day with her but would go for breaks that got me away from the home. Fortunately there was a wonderful nature park not too far away that helped me get my balance. A lunch or coffee break with laughter sounds great! I finally am feeling I am coming up for air. Sometime next week sound good.

As you can tell by my writings I am a strong advocate for taking care of yourself without guilt or worry. If I do not take care of myself I my health suffers and then I am not good for anything including myself.

:heart: Margaret
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post
    March Goals
    Monday's Progress (3/20)
    ✔1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B6, L0, D8, BBS 17 = 31g)
    2. Fiber 30g (6g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    ✔5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter: ✔Office Supplies, Electronics, Music, Craft Supplies, Cleaning Supplies, Utility Drawer, Utility Closet

• Fiber - still laying off some. I didn't eat much today. Almonds. Big salad and steak. Less than 600 calories. Simply too distracted to eat. And not hungry.

• Sleep - enjoyed a long soaking bath. Didn't get to bed until after 1am.

• Declutter - ready to get moving on this....

--Ginger in Texas
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Gayle- it is so difficult as our parents age for them as well as us. I was talking to my mom yesterday and she doesn't understand why she can't remember peoples names. I know it really bothers her not to know the names of her great grandchildren when they are visiting her or who I am when I call her. My mother-in-law is almost 92 and is starting to experience constant pain that her arthritis medicine can no longer alleviate. Her voice is no longer cheery when I talk to her. I agree with what Margaret's Philosophy is you need to take care of yourself in order to be able to take care of others. We really do need to get together for a long lunch! Thanks to Margaret I have a car!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Gloria ... how old is Zac? I know all about childhood migraines. My son, now 19, has been having debilitating migraines since he was 13. Did the immediate care doctor run an EKG while you were there? Heart rhythm abnormalities need to be diagnosed as some can be serious. But your grandson was also experiencing a migraine that can be caused by a myriad of things ... some of which, like dehydration or low magnesium or lack of sleep, that can also temporarily affect the heart. Praying that there's a simple reason for last night's heart concerns.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - Today is lovely and sunny :DB), but tomorrow is forecast rain. :'(

I'm back from a lovely lunch with my friend,. We chatted for over two hours and laughed much too loudly at times! Covered most things, politics, property, jobs, grandchildren, friends etc.

Now to try to get through the rest of the day without expending too many calories. This is my third fishy day in a row! Sea bass in a sorrel sauce (from the garden) with broccoli and new potatoes for DH. I'm going to make the sauce in a minute and boil the milk for yoghurt making.

Getting my brain in gear for visiting my son in Nottingham tomorrow. 5 hours door to door to the hotel, then I have to get on a tram to visit him and his two greyhounds. I will make an effort to be a good grandma to my furry grandchildren, but I am not a dog lover. Doing it for him. <3 We are going to take them for a walk, take them home, have a cup of tea and then go out for a tapas supper. Then back to the hotel and home the next morning. ;) But at least I'll have made the effort.
    He texted me yesterday to say he has an article coming up in a "paintballing" magazine. Not paid of course, but it's a sign he is coming out of his depression. I hope a job might be on the horizon. :*:o He's been out of work over 5 months now.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx