Besides calories what other things do you limit?

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    junk food and sodium
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    First, no foods are "very unhealthy". That's not how it works. If something tastes good, it means that you should eat it. But that doesn't mean you should eat it all the time and in umlimited amounts.

Limiting calories, limiting foods... it's a lot about mindset. All you have to do to lose and maintain weigh, is to not overeat. What you need to do to not overeat, is individual, and personal, and that's why you hear so many opinions, often stated as facts.

I had to overhaul how I viewed food, eating and my body, work on my relationship with food, get in a meal structure, learn how to plan meals and grocery shop, how to assess appropriate portions, how to know when I had enough, and how to stop eating when I had eaten enough. How to handle cravings, how to handle uneasiness. It's been a long and fascinating process and it's not over yet.
  • doctorcarrigan
    doctorcarrigan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I limit non-organic foods, carbs (struggling with this one), saturated fat, eating out
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I limit alcohol because drinking too much makes me prone to binge eating. I also would prefer not to drink my calories.
    I've also tried to limit most types of fast food because the portions are small for the amount of calories they contain. It's too easy to go over my daily limit that way.
    Otherwise, I only limit portion sizes.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't limit my calories I eat whenever I'm hungry:)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Not a darn thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I limit non-organic foods, carbs (struggling with this one), saturated fat, eating out

Maybe you don't have to do that.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Im limiting junk and sweets more than I used to. They're a big problem for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Alcohol - the drunk munchies kill my deficit every time.

This.

And dried mango weirdly. I can eat 200g without thinking. I have to get my husband to weigh me out 30g a time :D
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Besides calories? Zip, zilch, nada.

10382200.png
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I limit my portions of food so I can still eat whatever I want. Can't have a bowl of ice cream, but I can have a serving.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    I only limit calories. Some things I don't eat as often as others, but the only thing I restrict is calories.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I limit carbs unless I have a lot of calories to spare for the day. It's just my way of eating.

I just...limit. In general. I might be hungry and know that if I choose a slice of pizza over a whole cucumber with some salt, I will have a pretty sad dinner later. And this is for maintenance. For the rest of my life.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sodium. Anything deep fried. Never soda. I carefully watch my macro and micronutrients so I don't waste my calories on junk.
  • MacaronStyle
    MacaronStyle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I limit alcohol because more than one drink turns into three or four too quickly which isn't a great use of calories. I also limit caffeine but that has nothing to do with weight loss but because it exacerbates my anxiety. (Although not drinking 120 calories of latte each day is a plus.) Lately I've been limiting cheese because I don't have much self control where it's concerned.

Basically, these are just limits I've found that work for me. Other people probably thrive on the opposite.

Let's also talk about things I've been maximizing. I'm trying to eat as many veggies as possible. I've been trying to walk everywhere. I've been trying to get a sensible amount of sleep each night.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I had to cut alcohol completely :cry: but then again, I have liver problems...

Also careful about my fat intake. Again... liver problems and a missing gallbladder.

For the rest, I simply control my portions and those portions include healthy servings of chocolate :drool:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Calories only. I avoid foods I don't think are "worth" the calories (like full-calorie sodas) to make room for those which are (like a nice glass of sauvignon blanc B) ) I won't eat biscuit or cake unless I do want them AND they are nice - so if someone is offering round a nice home-made cake I will have one, but not a Mr Kipling fondant fancy.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    On any given day X% of my calorie intake will be from drinks or junk. The actual percentage varies on any given day to allow for more flexibility on weekends but for the most part it means I cannot fill up on junk (crisps, chocolate ect) and have to actually eat proper food.
  • CaffeinatedRats
    CaffeinatedRats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, because I make a fool of myself when drunk.

Junk food gets limited because I have to check if it fits my calories for that day, whereas before I started losing weight I would have just eaten that cookie with no second thought.