What's your favorite nut?

Options
So I was reading this article about how Americans, like me, don't eat enough nuts and seeds.

So I thought it would be cool to ask: What's your favorite nut(s)? How do you like them prepared?

My hope is that we all get inspired to eat more nuts, if you don't already! They're full of healthy fats that are good for your heart.

Article source: http://time.com/4694883/bacon-nuts-soda-heart-disease-study/.

Replies

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My favorite all around are pecans. I love them glazed in a salad or fresh out of the shell (from the south).
    I'm super into Almonds right now -- I have several different kinds in my desk at work. My current favorite are the honey glazed, but I can only eat those in moderation.
    Cashews are so good just plain, or tossed into a curry.
    Walnuts are my favorite baking nut -- best all around. They can be substituted for any nut in a cake, cookie, or brownie recipe and taste delicious.
    I hate brazil nuts with a passion, so we won't talk about those (taste like dirt).
    Macadamia nuts directly from Hawaii are pure heaven! They taste completely different from the big brands if you go with one of the smaller suppliers.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Pecans. I eat them as they are. I generally buy the big baker's bags, as they're unsalted.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Good choice @Gallowmere1984. I have the big baking bags for...well...baking. Good idea to snack from them too, since they are unsalted.
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All time favourite is hazelnuts, fresh from the tree! Maybe not quite ripe yet even! Love them once dried too! Eat them fresh from the shell
    Second is walnuts, only if fresh from the tree and cured properly. Again fresh from shell.

I have both trees planted but they are still young and not producing nuts yet. Can't wait until we can harvest our own!

I also like almonds and cashews and macadamias. Really I love nuts! LOL
    Seeds, I do eat sunflower seeds. Not really sure I eat any other seeds.

I hate nuts that have been cooked/in baking. I don't like the consistency!
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    So you don't like them toasted at all? That's different, but understandable. They are much sweeter raw or with less cooking.

Cashews are poisonous raw, but the ones that you get that have been cooked just enough (the ones that are labelled raw) are sooooo good. Almost like candy. In Belize, I had some that had been prepared by local women, fresh from the tree. Those were transcendent. Best cashews I'd tasted in my life.

I don't think I've ever had a fresh hazelnut! Sounds good!

Can I come to your house around harvest time? :wink:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Roasted and salted cashews.
    Second is almonds pretty much any way - raw, lightly toasted (by me), salted or unsalted but I made some very savory almonds that were out of this world! Raw almonds, a very light drizzle of oil, some sea salt, and crushed rosemary, and cayenne pepper. Low heat until very brown and don't look wet/greasy.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Raising nut awareness, I love it! Almonds are my favorite and I 100% agree with you about Brazil Nuts.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hazelnuts. I love just cracking them and eating them. On the other hand, there is always Nutella . . .
  • Mick_Jaguar
    Mick_Jaguar Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oops!
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Roasted and salted cashews.
    Second is almonds pretty much any way - raw, lightly toasted (by me), salted or unsalted but I made some very savory almonds that were out of this world! Raw almonds, a very light drizzle of oil, some sea salt, and crushed rosemary, and cayenne pepper. Low heat until very brown and don't look wet/greasy.

I keep hearing good things about TJ's marcona almonds with rosemary -- I don't think I've ever had rosemary & almond paired together. I'll have to try your method for a little DIY magic. Sounds delicious.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Chocolate covered .....

Me too, but I eat way too many! IIFYM or calories, I'm all for it.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hazelnuts. I love just cracking them and eating them. On the other hand, there is always Nutella . . .
    Man, I think I've only had hazelnuts through Nutella really! That has to change. Good choice.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    Raising nut awareness, I love it! Almonds are my favorite and I 100% agree with you about Brazil Nuts.

Can't go wrong with almonds. My dad used to eat brazil nuts all the time, called them Zillies or toes. I always would take one and instantly regret it. Blech.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Roasted cashews, pecans, macadamia, almonds almost any nuts.

I absolutely hate the taste of American Black Walnuts except if they're baked in anything.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Pecans, while eating dark chocolate; brazil nuts, covered in dark chocolate; and almonds, sold embedded in a dark chocolate bar.

I detect a theme developing here.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Roasted cashews, pecans, macadamia, almonds almost any nuts.

I absolutely hate the taste of American Black Walnuts except if they're baked in anything.

Yeah, I don't really like the taste of walnuts out of hand unless they're in a trail mix, so I feel you there.

Pecans, while eating dark chocolate; brazil nuts, covered in dark chocolate; and almonds, sold embedded in a dark chocolate bar.

I detect a theme developing here.

A delicious theme, good taste.
  • fitRTs
    fitRTs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who is also a very picky eater so I depend on nuts for protein quite a bit.

There are tons of great roasted nut recipes out there I end up eating them raw most of the time. I like almonds and cashews, or i'll buy a mix. Spicy is good because then I won't eat way too many... a smallish serving is actually pretty calorie dense and I could easily overdo it.

Salt & Pepper Cashews are really good! Almonds roasted with whatever spice combinations you can think of are always a good bet too. I used to add walnuts and honey to vanilla greek yogurt and that was a great combo for me too.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I can't stand most nuts. The best way to get me to NOT eat chocolate anything is to put walnuts or pecans in them. I can only eat almonds if they are the wasabi flavored ones. Otherwise, I recently found that like cashews. I like peanuts, but then peanuts aren't nuts. Cashews remind me of peanuts.