Cardio or Weightlifting? Or Both?!

Hello everyone,

I am still trying to understand the best method for me to loose weight. Obviously eating healthy plays a huge role, which I have been doing, but I am confused on what is needed to be done in the gym. I workout 4-5 days a week for about an hour or hour and a half. I always do at least an hour of cardio every time I go. I just recently started to do a little weight lifting and using the machines at the gym. My question for you is this...

If I am trying to loose weight (40 lbs is my goal!) should I just ONLY be doing cardio right now until I loose the weight? I always hear I should do cardio AND weightlifting, or some say I should ONLY do cardio until I loose the weight and then once that happens to start weightlifting to tone muscles.

Also, if you guys have any tips for loosing weight ....please let me know!

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Both, I'm assuming you're female based on your username.... I strongly suggest picking up Strong or another New Rules of Lifting program, or another strength training program. I've done New Rules of Lifting for Women and had great success and I just started Strong.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Both. Lift to keep your lean mass and cardio to create a bigger deficit. I don't go crazy with cardio (mostly because I hate it). I get 10k Fitbit steps and consider that cardio done.
  • katiekinney28
    katiekinney28 Posts: 12 Member
    If I am trying to loose the weight though, won't lifting make me bulk up some? I know muscle weighs a lot so how will this work if I am trying to loose the weight? I totally don't mind lifting weights or using machines at all...just trying to understand how it works!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    If I am trying to loose the weight though, won't lifting make me bulk up some? I know muscle weighs a lot so how will this work if I am trying to loose the weight? I totally don't mind lifting weights or using machines at all...just trying to understand how it works!

You will not bulk up by lifting. What it will do is signal to your body to keep the muscle mass it has (because you are telling it you need it by lifting) and you will find you look a lot better than someone who has lost 20lbs (assuming you both lose 20lbs) not lifting because of a more favourable fat: muscle loss ratio

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

No. Women do not have enough testosterone to "bulk up." Start lifting. Use a program like Stronglifts 5X5 (check it out at stronglifts.com). If, for some crazy reason, you do "bulk up" then stop lifting. But I promise, you won't bulk up.
  • leooftheyear
    fascha wrote: »

You will not bulk up by lifting. What it will do is signal to your body to keep the muscle mass it has (because you are telling it you need it by lifting) and you will find you look a lot better than someone who has lost 20lbs not lifting because of a more favourable fat: muscle ratio

I strongly suggest finding a program you like and following it (e.g. New Rules of Lifting: Strong or for Women) are both really good. They have tons of information in both books so you cannot go wrong with either. But as Fascha said, you will not bulk, you'll retain muscle. if you do not strength train you'll be skinny fat and then struggle with gaining the muscle mass you lost via cardio and diet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Hello everyone,

I am still trying to understand the best method for me to loose weight. Obviously eating healthy plays a huge role, which I have been doing, but I am confused on what is needed to be done in the gym. I workout 4-5 days a week for about an hour or hour and a half. I always do at least an hour of cardio every time I go. I just recently started to do a little weight lifting and using the machines at the gym. My question for you is this...

If I am trying to loose weight (40 lbs is my goal!) should I just ONLY be doing cardio right now until I loose the weight? I always hear I should do cardio AND weightlifting, or some say I should ONLY do cardio until I loose the weight and then once that happens to start weightlifting to tone muscles.

Also, if you guys have any tips for loosing weight ....please let me know!

Look at it from the perspective of fitness rather than weight loss...they're both important. You lose weight when you're taking in less energy (calories) than you expend regardless of what exercise you're doing or not doing. Regular exercise, both cardio and resistance training will have the additional benefit of increasing your energy expenditure.

No...building meaningful muscle mass in an energy deficit isn't really going to happen...muscle requires a significant amount of energy to build. Resistance training while you are dieting will help you preserve the muscle mass you currently have...
  • Mick_Jaguar
    Mick_Jaguar Posts: 21 Member
    Done correctly, weight lifting incorporates cardio.
  • katiekinney28
    Thank you guys! You have been so helpful! I will look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women book today.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Definitely both. I like to eat, so cardio gives me extra wiggle room with my calories.
    Lifting helps with the framework. So even if you don't see the scale move, you will see the difference.

I was just doing Cardio and getting absolutely nowhere. Once I started lifting, my the scale started moving. Once it stopped moving, my body kept changing in noticeable ways. I just looked in the mirror one day and was like DANG girl, you getting hot, even though the scale hasn't gone down that much in the past few months. I also fit into some pants that I couldn't wear before.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I have always done both. Try to do cardio every day, weights/ST 3xweek.
  • katiekinney28

jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Definitely both. I like to eat, so cardio gives me extra wiggle room with my calories.
    Lifting helps with the framework. So even if you don't see the scale move, you will see the difference.

I was just doing Cardio and getting absolutely nowhere. Once I started lifting, my the scale started moving. Once it stopped moving, my body kept changing in noticeable ways. I just looked in the mirror one day and was like DANG girl, you getting hot, even though the scale hasn't gone down that much in the past few months. I also fit into some pants that I couldn't wear before.

Jbirdgreen....Do you have any tips of loosing stomach fat? I know its hard to target specific areas but have you found anything or have any advice on what works for you?
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    I absolutely agree that doing both is the best route. I do cardio everyday with walking my dog (if that even counts), and three times/week in the gym. I also lift 3x/week, full body, about an hour each session. I started out just doing tons of cardio and eating less... my weight loss slowed a little when I went to weights 3x/week, but my inches flew off and I look much more fit. I suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll give you a ton of good information. I started eating more when I was lifting as well, and my metabolism now really shows it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I agree with the above.. lifting is amazing and you will not bulk up if you are eating in a deficit. I personally didn't do any cardio (besides walking and being generally active) when I was losing, but obviously it is great for heart health and extra cals for your deficit.
    Also you cannot spot reduce areas... you can work the muscle underneath which is great when you do lose the weight, but that itself will not cause the body to release the fat from that area faster.
  • katiekinney28
    I absolutely agree that doing both is the best route. I do cardio everyday with walking my dog (if that even counts), and three times/week in the gym. I also lift 3x/week, full body, about an hour each session. I started out just doing tons of cardio and eating less... my weight loss slowed a little when I went to weights 3x/week, but my inches flew off and I look much more fit. I suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It'll give you a ton of good information. I started eating more when I was lifting as well, and my metabolism now really shows it.

Question for you Ercarroll311 and Sardelsa....how do you guys learn/get ideas for weight lifting? I am pretty new at it and sometimes feel as if I am walking around the gym wondering what to do next. I am able to do the machines at the gym totally fine...but as far as free weights I feel like I'm clueless...any help with that?
  • leooftheyear
    edited March 2017
    Thank you guys! You have been so helpful! I will look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women book today.

They also have an amazing support group on Facebook, which is referenced in Strong. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited March 2017

I got New Rules of Lifting for Women from my library first and then bought his more recent book, Strong.

I'm another vote for both. And just do a short amount of cardio to warm up for the weightlifting session otherwise you'll be too tired to get an effective workout.

I get cardio at lunch and lift at night, or vice versa.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Question for you Ercarroll311 and Sardelsa....how do you guys learn/get ideas for weight lifting? I am pretty new at it and sometimes feel as if I am walking around the gym wondering what to do next. I am able to do the machines at the gym totally fine...but as far as free weights I feel like I'm clueless...any help with that?

I would definitely recommend following a program rather than just wandering about. Here is a link to some popular ones:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

I did Strong Curves and loved it.
    I also heard great things about New Rules of lifting, Thinner Leaner Stronger and Strong Lifts.
    I learned by watching lots of YouTube videos and filming myself, I am sure you can also get help from a trainer in your gym for the main lifts.