Halo Top...how the heck do they do it???

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    i will stick with my talenti, but thanks..
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I tried the chocolate mocha chip this weekend, and it's pretty darned good! Not Blue Bell good - but better than the free soft serve at Jason's Deli, you know?

I've got to find the peanut butter cup.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The most amazing thing happened to me today.

My Kroger has Halo Top on sale for $3.99/pint, AND they're offering it as a part of their "Buy 5, Save $5" promotion ( basically, you but any 5 participating items and get $5.00 deducted from your total at checkout), AND I had 5 $1.00 off coupons to use on them. So I got five pints of Halo Top for $9.95 today, before tax.

I'm allowed to hate you right? :)

Me too lol :rage: She paid less for five pints than i do for one!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i will stick with my talenti, but thanks..

Nice to have a decent amount of calories :) I eat talenti too but sometimes I want more than a spoonful of something.
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    aww man send the mint chip to me..I love lemon cake and mint chip..my sister swears that the vanilla bean is as good as any regular vanilla ( she is SO boring LOL)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Honestly, Halo Top and Tootsie Rolls are the only two foods that make me sad about being vegan LOL
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    _Phill727 wrote: »
    I'm a food engineer and worked for Haagen Daz for years.
    Halo Top uses Erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol from corn. No proven medical side-affects "yet"
    But its application in food is still early.
    The price confuses me, it's basically milk with butterfat removed and whey added. But hey, people are buying it!

I have had it and enjoy it but a little pricey for me. Sorry if I bursted any bubbles!

Some sugar alcohols irritate my IBS, has anyone had an issue with halo top causing IBS issues?
  • bbell1985
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Halo Top uses Erythritol, a natural sugar alcohol from corn. No proven medical side-affects "yet"
    The price confuses me, it's basically milk with butterfat removed and whey added. But hey, people are buying it!

I have had it and enjoy it but a little pricey for me. Sorry if I bursted any bubbles!

Some sugar alcohols irritate my IBS, has anyone had an issue with halo top causing IBS issues?

I have IBS...but constipation. I can't tell if halo top is messing with it or not. I have it even when I'm not eating it.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I have never heard of Halo Top, but now that I have, I must try it!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I have IBS...but constipation. I can't tell if halo top is messing with it or not. I have it even when I'm not eating it.

I have both, generally constipation- I think that is stress triggered, but a few foods trigger the other kind. Some sugar alcohols have been pretty bad for me.

I saw it at Safeway, maybe I just need to try some on a day when I'm not going anywhere and see how I handle it. Right now I just treat myself with real ice cream sometimes.
  • bbell1985

I have both, generally constipation- I think that is stress triggered, but a few foods trigger the other kind. Some sugar alcohols have been pretty bad for me.

I saw it at Safeway, maybe I just need to try some on a day when I'm not going anywhere and see how I handle it. Right now I just treat myself with real ice cream sometimes.

Yeah maybe try a serving one evening. Sucks that it's hard to tell if it's worth it. I honestly don't even care what I need to stop eating anymore. I'm so frustrated.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Yeah maybe try a serving one evening. Sucks that it's hard to tell if it's worth it. I honestly don't even care what I need to stop eating anymore. I'm so frustrated.

I don't have IBS nor am I sensitive to sugar alcohols, but every once in a while eating a whole pint of Halo Top will....loosen things up, to put it politely. It doesn't happen every time and it never happens if I just eat one or two servings.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Does this stuff taste "just like ice cream" the way shiritaki noodles taste "just like pasta," and those 2 ingredient banana and egg pancakes taste "just like real pancakes," and nutritional yeast tastes "just like cheese"? If so, count me out. There's a long list of "tastes just like" foods that really don't. They mostly just taste like lies to me. :|

Now if this stuff really does taste just like regular ice cream, please disregard my post.

No, at least IMO. And not the way cauliflower pizza crust tastes "just like pizza crust" either. Does it taste absolutely identically as good and rich and thick and creamy as your favorite full-calorie, slow-churned gourmet ice cream flavor? No, it doesn't - or it would have just as many calories too. But it tastes just as good or better than a lot of run-of-the-mill "mainstream" ice creams to me. I'm not crazy over every flavor they make - Birthday Cake is too sweet for me, Lemon Cake has never been my gig, etc. - but a lot of them are good.
  • angerlo
    angerlo Posts: 13 Member
    Not a fan of arctic zero but the red velvet halo top is the bomb
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Does this stuff taste "just like ice cream" the way shiritaki noodles taste "just like pasta," and those 2 ingredient banana and egg pancakes taste "just like real pancakes," and nutritional yeast tastes "just like cheese"? If so, count me out. There's a long list of "tastes just like" foods that really don't. They mostly just taste like lies to me. :|

Now if this stuff really does taste just like regular ice cream, please disregard my post.

No, at least IMO. And not the way cauliflower pizza crust tastes "just like pizza crust" either. Does it taste absolutely identically as good and rich and thick and creamy as your favorite full-calorie, slow-churned gourmet ice cream flavor? No, it doesn't - or it would have just as many calories too. But it tastes just as good or better than a lot of run-of-the-mill "mainstream" ice creams to me. I'm not crazy over every flavor they make - Birthday Cake is too sweet for me, Lemon Cake has never been my gig, etc. - but a lot of them are good.

Maybe I'll give it a try...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Same here. It tastes just as good to me as Friendly's, Breyer's and the average 170ish calories a serving ice creams. Obviously it doesn't come close to Talenti, Haagen Dazs, or B&J, but for less picky people who love quantity, it's definitely worth it.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    This thread has inspired me - I'm buying it this week to give it a try (though a bit skeptical because Haagen Daz Caramel Cone is my holy grail).

I had 290 calories left yesterday and nothing to eat for dessert. This thread was practically taunting me!