Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Go dakota! I'm glad you found something you really like. Try adding some lemon or lime to it...variety!

Do think lemon or lime would make it taste bad? Have you tried it. cause I added a tomato once to something and it was so gross. Just curious

If you like lemonade, try this!

4 apples
    1/4 lemon

seriously, tastes like lemonade but good for you!
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    If you like lemonade, try this!

4 apples
    1/4 lemon

seriously, tastes like lemonade but good for you!

Thank you so much! I think I'll try that!

Today is day 6 for us. We're doing well. My husband ran some errands this morning and did not bring his juice that I made for him (said he wouldn't need it), but he had to stop and get gas and bought and ate some sunflower seeds and a small bag of combo's. COMBO'S?!?! Seriously? We've been stuffing ourselves with nutritious gold, and you go and get combos?! I need to settle down on the judgmental spirit though. Maybe I'm just bitter because I still miss the food! Making the kids breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks every day doesn't help. He drank his juice when he got home and is back on, but, man! He was doing awesome! He's lost like 15lbs, and I'm just so proud of him. Still am.

Today feels like a normal day. I'm noticing I'm on top of things more now, especially with the kids. I'm able to deal with several different matters at the same time. I wasn't so good at that before.

Oh, my favorite juice, the pineapple piper. It's a sweet potato, a whole fresh pineapple, and 4 oranges. Yum. But it's super acidic, so you may want to limit how often you enjoy that yummy treat.

And yes, I am not enjoying my green juices today. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Just kinda tired of them, but still on the wagon, doing well.
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am glad everyone is doing well, I'll have to try some of everyones recipes, they sound good...So, My finace Mike cheated BIG time today, we went to walmart cause he needed new glasses his broke this morning, after he got a new prescription, he went and bought a pick 3 from the deli, chinese chicken, popcorn chicken and potato wedges. YIKES.. I think he's done with the fasting, he said he couldn't do it anymore cause he's been so hungry and only juicing was making him even more hungry, so he's done, but I am proud he made it this far, quite honestly I thought he would break down and get fast food on day 2 but he stuck with it... I am still hanging in there. I ignored what he ate. Just focused what was on tv and not think about it. I've got to push, I've got a week and a half left. I hope I make it.
  • RasheedaR
    RasheedaR Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome job so far!!!!! I saw the documentary as well & it also really inspired me! Day 4 for me & hubby!! I feel amazing! I am doing it because I have severe allergies, some blood clotting & respiratory issues & obviously am overweight. My husband is doing it with me & we are thrilled so far with the results!
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    I just started my juice fast this morning. Im afraid im going to lose some of the muscle mass i gained over the past few months but oh well. I need a serious reboot from all of the garbage ive been eating.
  • awandell
    Options
    I just started my juice fast this morning. Im afraid im going to lose some of the muscle mass i gained over the past few months but oh well. I need a serious reboot from all of the garbage ive been eating.

Awesome! Hope that you achieve all your health goals! I read something this am that was really helpful and thought it might help others. I'll post where it's from to give them credit, but I don't want to break any rules here about linking to websites and such.
    The Different Juice Fasting Stages of Detoxification

Here is an overview of the detoxification stages during a juice fast. The time periods are a general estimation.

Stage 1 (Day 1 To Day 2)
    On the first day of fasting, the blood sugar level drops below 70 mg/dl. To restore the blood to the normal glucose level, liver glycogen is converted to glucose and released into the blood. This reserve is enough for half a day. The body then reduces the basal metabolic rate (BMR). The rate of internal chemical activity in resting tissue is lowered to conserve energy. The heart slows and blood pressure is reduced. Glycogen is pulled from the muscle causing some weakness. The first wave of cleansing is usually the worst.

Headaches, dizziness, nausea, bad breath, glazed eyes and a heavily coated tongue are signs of the first stage of cleansing. Hunger can be the most intense in this period unless the enema is used which quickly assists the body into the fasting state by ending digestion in the colon.

Stage 2 (Day 3 To Day 7)
    Fats, composed of transformed fatty acids, are broken down to release glycerol from the gliceride molecules and are converted to glucose. The skin may become oily as rancid oils are purged from the body. People with problem-free skin may have a few days of pimples or even a boil. A pallid complexion is also a sign of waste in the blood. Ketones are formed by the incomplete oxidation of fats. It is suspected that the ketones in the blood suppress the appetite by affecting the food-satiety center in the hypothalamus. You may feel hungry for the first few days of the fast. This effect is temporary. The desire to eat will disappear. Lack of hunger may last 40 to 60 days, depending on whether you are on water or juice.

The body embraces the fast and the digestive system is able to take a much-needed rest, focusing all of its energies on cleansing and healing. White blood cell and immune system activity increases. You may feel pain in your lungs. The cleansing organs and the lungs are in the process of being repaired. Periodically, the lymphatic system expels mucoid matter through the nose or throat. The volume excreted of this yellow-colored mucus can be shocking. The sinuses go through periods of being clogged, then will totally clear. The breath is still foul and the tongue coated. Within the intestine, the colon is being repaired and impacted feces on the intestinal wall start to loosen.

Stage 3 (Day 8 to Day 15)
    On the latter part of an extended fast, you can experience enhanced energy, clear-mindedness and feel better than you have felt since childhood. On the downside, old injuries may become irritated and painful. This is a result of the body’s increased ability to heal during fasting. If you had broken your arm 10 years before, there is scar tissue around the break. At the time of the break, the body’s ability to heal was directly related to lifestyle. If you lived on a junk-food diet, the body’s natural healing ability was compromised.

During fasting, the body’s healing process is at optimum efficiency. As the body scours for dead or damaged tissue, the lymphocytes enter the older, damaged tissue secreting substances to dissolve the damaged cells. These substances irritate the nerves in the surrounding region and cause a reoccurrence of aches from previously injured areas that may have disappeared years earlier. The pain is good as the body is completing the healing process. The muscles may become tight and sore due to toxin irritation. The legs can be the worst affected, as toxins accumulate in the legs. Cankers are common in this stage due to the excessive bacteria in the mouth. Daily gargling with salt and water will prevent or heal cankers.

Stage 4 (Day 16 to Day 30)
    The body is completely adapted to the fasting process. There is more energy and clarity of mind. Cleansing periods can be short with many days of feeling good in between. There are days when the tongue is pink and the breath is fresh. The healing work of the organs is being completed. After the detoxification mechanisms have removed the causative agent or render it harmless, the body works at maximum capacity in tissue proliferation to replace damaged tissue. While a short fast will reduce the symptoms, a longer fast can completely heal. Homeostatic balance is at optimum levels. The lymphatic system is clean except for a rare discharge of mucus through the nose or throat. After day 20, the mind is affected. Heightened clarity and emotional balance are felt at this time. Memory and concentration improve.

Stage 5 (Breaking the Fast)
    The sticky, toxic, mucoid coating on the intestinal wall is loose, and the first meal frees it from the intestinal wall. Toxins enter the blood through the colon. The gallbladder dumps its waste in a heavy discharge of bile. This can cause an instant bowel movement upon eating followed by intense diarrhea. If the symptoms are too uncomfortable, an enema will help.

This article was written by, Mr. Tom McGregor, author of Eating in Freedom.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Wow ddakota! I bow before your great dedication!
    I lost a great amount of weight years ago by basically starving from stress and of course it all came back within a few years. I've been veg for over 20yrs but have never "juiced" this ways so I'm interested in your progress.I'm thinking I may try this as a way to not only "jump start" weight loss but as a way to cleanse some of my dietary sins and clear my vision so to speak.
    I saw the documentary listed on NetFlix but with all the comments here now I'll go watch it .
  • wisecat1
    wisecat1 Posts: 41
    Options
    Lesson I learned this morning from my juice! It was so horrible!
    Peel the beets...other wise you get dirt.
    Peel the sweet potato...again with the dirt.
    Peel the grapefruit. The rind is so bitter.

I'll try a this recipe again some time. It sounded so good. :(
  • melleyd
    Options
    Day 2 ...............sipping on my "lemonade". :)

Day 1 of 40 complete! Now, I have done quite a bit of juice fasting over the last 7 years but my husband has barely ever fasted in his whole life. I think he has done 2-3 days recently of just fasting on bottled juices. Anyway, he seems to really be dedicated to this. I'm afraid he might lose too much weight because he doesn't have more than 10-15 lbs to lose but I know his weight will stabilize when he starts eating again. He may need to add in some raw food or protein shakes later in the fast, I'm not sure.

Anyway, just wanted to say how proud I am of him. And it's been fun making the juices together. I'm so happy I have someone else doing this with me for the first time! :)

Keep with it everyone. You will feel AMAZING in a few days!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

I don't think you'll lose muscle, are you going to be working out while on the juice fast? You'll do great and I'm sure your muscle will still be there.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Lesson I learned this morning from my juice! It was so horrible!
    Peel the beets...other wise you get dirt.
    Peel the sweet potato...again with the dirt.
    Peel the grapefruit. The rind is so bitter.

I'll try a this recipe again some time. It sounded so good. :(

Yeah we got that too with the beet, it toally tasted like dirt, yuck...lol
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Day 5 everyone and wow....Something weird happened... i was about to take a shower when all of a sudden I decided I needed to jog in place. so weird, i did it for about 10 mins then I realized I needed a shower and thats what I was suppose to do. It was so weird, like a rush of energy came over me. I love my breakfast meals more than lunch and Supper. I always look forward to mornings. This morning lots of oranges, apples, strawberries and carrots, yum... How is everyone else this Grand Friday?
  • RasheedaR
    Options
    Hi!
    I made juice then blended it to get more nutrients (read this online to do once in a while on a juice fast especially since spinach doesn't juice that well).

I used:

a pint of strawberries
    3 oranges
    bag of carrots
    a huge cucumber
    a big chunk of ginger
    then put in the blender with a banana & half a bag of spinach & ice.

It was delish!

Day 5 of hopefully 30!
  • RasheedaR
    Options
    That's crazy about your need to jog! Wow your body is energizing!!!! Congrats on day 5! You are doing so great!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I've never wanted to jog in the shower. :laugh:

Good for you, keep it going dakota.
  • awandell
    Options
    That is so awesome about your desire to jog! I am overcome sometimes with the desire to do pushups. Strange. Pushups? I don't do pushups, but I've been able to get in two sets of twenty in a few minutes if I can keep the kiddos off of me. The juicing fast really boosts your energy. I have to watch myself around people who aren't juicing. I may act like I'm on huge amounts of caffeine, but I just feel GREAT! The last two days have continued with feeling amazing, but no weight loss the last two days. 10lbs in 7 days is still really good, so I'm hanging around, keeping it up. My DH is finding out some news about his job today, and, if it is good news, he wants to break the fast and celebrate. ugh. I don't know what to do about this. It is definitely worth celebrating, if it happens, but we'll see.
  • melleyd
    Options
    That is so awesome about your desire to jog! I am overcome sometimes with the desire to do pushups. Strange. Pushups? I don't do pushups, but I've been able to get in two sets of twenty in a few minutes if I can keep the kiddos off of me. The juicing fast really boosts your energy. I have to watch myself around people who aren't juicing. I may act like I'm on huge amounts of caffeine, but I just feel GREAT! The last two days have continued with feeling amazing, but no weight loss the last two days. 10lbs in 7 days is still really good, so I'm hanging around, keeping it up. My DH is finding out some news about his job today, and, if it is good news, he wants to break the fast and celebrate. ugh. I don't know what to do about this. It is definitely worth celebrating, if it happens, but we'll see.

Can you find another way to celebrate other than with food? I can think of a few things.......... :)
  • jessikas5
    jessikas5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about juicing, I'm going to get on Netflix tonight! Best of luck!
  • awandell
    Options
    Can you find another way to celebrate other than with food? I can think of a few things.......... :)

:)

I think he's thinking food because it's something the whole family can enjoy. ;)

Also, I've tried asking him to consider an activity or something fun that we could do as a family to celebrate instead of food. He's got his mind made up. He's the one I'm on this fast for (although I am hugely benefiting from it and have some weight to lose myself). He started at 340, and you don't get that way with a good mindset about food. Thankfully, if we break this fast, I think he's still motivated to get back on it and go full force again. He's got a long road ahead of him and is slowly learning to tolerate those foods which once he didn't care for one bit, and he's also finally enjoying the benefits of the energy, clear skin, weight loss, clear mind, etc that come with this huge boost of liquid gold we're getting every day. So, I do need to remember that this is a process.