Boring chicken breast

Options

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Truly, the trick to getting flavorful chicken is to add enough salt/pepper and cook it long enough to get that golden brown caramelization. It doesn't add any extra calories, it's super easy and simple and the flavor difference is amazing. You may have to turn up the burner a little to get the browned outside and not overcook/dry out the inside, and it's a fine line between perfect and overcooked, but once you learn your stove's idiosyncrasies it'll be quick and easy.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I use a brine:
    Dissolve 1 tbsp brown sugar and 1 tbsp salt in 1 cup of hot water.
    Add 1 tsp peppercorns, bay leaf, and a dried chili. Let cool for an hour in the fridge.
    Add 1/4 sliced onion, 1/4 sliced lemon, and 1 chicken breast.
    Return to the fridge and brine for 2 hours, flipping after 1 hour.
    Grill or broil.
    Multiply recipe for more chicken.

For topping salads:
    Pound a chicken breast until 1/4 inch thick.
    Coat with salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil, and fresh minced herbs if you have them.
    Cook in a frying pan, broil, or grill.
    Slice into thin strips.

I also bread and deep fry, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    Bacon.

Too many calories and I'm not a fan of bacon lol

Bacon has 30 calories per slice... Hardly a calorie bomb. As far as not a fan, you asked for suggestions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a lot of people are in denial about the calories in bacon. Sure, a serving is supposedly 3 slices for 90 calories but when you weigh 2 slices, it's the weight of one serving so... not so much 30 calories per slice.

Anyway, a couple chicken recipes I've done and really like

http://www.thepinningmama.com/healthy-enchilada-chicken-bake-recipe/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/83565/moroccan-chicken-and-whole-grain-couscous/
    Any Skinnytaste recipe for stuffed chicken or chicken parm

Or I love cutting it in bite size pieces, marinating it in Yuri's teriyaki sauce, then just pan fry it.
    But yeah, even with marinade or spices, I typically find plain chicken boring at this point.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome now I have so many recipes to choose from!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lemon and rosemary
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I season chicken breasts with Bolner's Fiesta Chicken Fajita seasoning (no salt variety) and smoke them using apple wood. Take 'em off at 165F and they are juicy and flavorful.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    garlic and onion powder
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One tsp of spicy brown mustard mixed with one tbsp. of Smuckers sugar free apricot (or orange or peach) preserve. Add a small amount of water or white wine if needed and brush on the chicken breast or thigh (you can season the chicken with salt and pepper before the paste if you want to.) Marinate for about and hour or more and sprinkle paprika on top before cooking on the skillet.

You can also marinate pork chops or fish with the above paste. Very tasty and easy without calories to worry about.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Chipotle powder and tumeric on chicken looks and tastes like Pollo Loco. A squeeze of lime to finish.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What do you add to your chicken breast for flavor without adding too many calories?

McCormicks Montreal dry chicken seasoning
    Dave's Marinade (kind of high sodium)
    New Orlean's spicy dry marinade

I usually either sautee my chicken in EVOO on the stove top, grill it or bake it. I also make sure to have interesting sides. I've found that sweet potatoes really compliment chicken, love it together!
  • NewyRob
    NewyRob Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dried ground chilli, salt, pepper, oregano.
  • Ronnvee
    Ronnvee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I bake my chicken and a few of the flavour combos I use are - sweet chili sauce mixed with lime juice, mustard and maple syrup and soy sauce with either mirin, honey or maple syrup plus garlic and or ginger. I usually only use a tablespoon or so of each and also add a couple of tablespoons of water to stop it burning.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    look up chicken recipes on skinny taste.com it will change your life.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Bacon.

Bacon has 30 calories per slice... Hardly a calorie bomb. As far as not a fan, you asked for suggestions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a lot of people are in denial about the calories in bacon. Sure, a serving is supposedly 3 slices for 90 calories but when you weigh 2 slices, it's the weight of one serving so... not so much 30 calories per slice.

Or I love cutting it in bite size pieces, marinating it in Yuri's teriyaki sauce, then just pan fry it.
    But yeah, even with marinade or spices, I typically find plain chicken boring at this point.

Then you need a new scale. Mine weighs pretty much as packaged. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

How? Considering that bacon comes raw and 90% of the packages out there give calories for pan fried bacon. It would be kinda odd if the bacon weighed 'as packaged'.

Anyway, the 3 brands I've tried, the weight of two crispy pan fried slices was the same weight as one serving of 3 slices - even then precooked bacon I bought last week. 16g for 2 slices, and the serving size was 3 slices (18g) - straight out of the package.

Just saying - weigh it. You might be surprised (and my scale is accurate).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

How? Considering that bacon comes raw and 90% of the packages out there give calories for pan fried bacon. It would be kinda odd if the bacon weighed 'as packaged'.

Anyway, the 3 brands I've tried, the weight of two crispy pan fried slices was the same weight as one serving of 3 slices - even then precooked bacon I bought last week. 16g for 2 slices, and the serving size was 3 slices (18g) - straight out of the package.

Just saying - weigh it. You might be surprised (and my scale is accurate).

I use precooked bacon and raw and I do weigh it and it's pretty accurate for me. Anywho... I'm not going to further derail OPs thread as she already said she does not like bacon.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Weber's Kickin' Chicken is awesome! I also like to mix paprika with parsley and then add a small amount of Kickin' Chicken.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Good lord how did this turn into a bacon debate lol
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Brown a couple of chicken breasts in your skillet, remove them. Add 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 chopped cloves of garlic, stir around to deglaze the skillet. Add at least 30 or so grape tomatoes, sliced in half to the skillet and cook until softened, maybe 5 minutes. Add basil, about 1 tsp. Put chicken back in skillet and top with a slice of mozarella cheese and let the cheese melt. Magnifico!