Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Urban Food Desert Myth

Options

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you disagree that people who can purchase pleasurable things within their means, things that are not strictly necessary to life, will often do so?

I disagree that everyone does so impulsively. And if they do, it's their own fault.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Do you disagree that people who can purchase pleasurable things within their means, things that are not strictly necessary to life, will often do so?

I disagree that everyone does so impulsively. And if they do, it's their own fault.

What was written was that poor people were "likely" to do this, not necessarily that it was done impulsively or that everyone did it.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Not clear on your meaning. Are you saying they do it 'intentionally' but it's someone else's fault?
  • yskaldir
    Options

What was written was that poor people were "likely" to do this, not necessarily that it was done impulsively or that everyone did it.

Sounds like the poor have some self reflection and improvements to do.
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Not clear on your meaning. Are you saying they do it 'intentionally' but it's someone else's fault?

How can they not do it 'intentionally'? No it's their own fault. I'm unclear on why you were unclear.
  • yskaldir
    Options

To compare poverty in a third world/developing country with that of a first world country is patently ridiculous. We aren't saying people are starving, or surviving on aid rations. It's a straw man of the highest order.

Poverty is relative.

Seems simple then, the solution to the obesity problem is use a bit self control and eat less. But of course, if they had more self control they might not be "poor" in the first place.

I'm surprised to see that your experiences have led you to conclude that poverty is an issue of poor self-control. Didn't you open the conversation with something about starving children in Africa? Have they failed to sufficiently exercise self-control or is it only the poor in the US and UK who have morally failed?

Maybe you should read what I was replying to. But to answer the 2nd part of your last question, yes, by and large.
  • yskaldir
    Options

Many people do find it easier to moralize about what the poor should do and how they've failed than to seriously try to understand what's going on in people's lives and consider *how* change can actually come about.

We already know how. Laws of thermodynamics, CICO etc.
    So what's more important to you? Understanding the situation or feeling superior?

Let's see, we have obese people, who we can all agree do not need even more food, a subset of them are also "poor", and they use their limited resources to buy things (food) they do not need? I'm sorry, I'm not even going to try to understand irrational beings.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

To compare poverty in a third world/developing country with that of a first world country is patently ridiculous. We aren't saying people are starving, or surviving on aid rations. It's a straw man of the highest order.

Poverty is relative.

Seems simple then, the solution to the obesity problem is use a bit self control and eat less. But of course, if they had more self control they might not be "poor" in the first place.

So, the poor are poor because they have no self-control? Is that really what you're saying here?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yup, life's not fair to people who don't have cars. Obama's cash for clunker's program should have been used to give them cars, so life would be more equal.

But life isn't equal and people in suburbia and rural areas have their own set of issues, especially if they are poor.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh, I don't think the obesity rate is lower among the rural lower income, is it? It would be interesting if stats were broken down more specifically: urban, by income quintile; rural, by income quintile. Even so it would be skewed by age and lying and other factors.

Also, with the poor in a city, the cost of a car isn't the issue so much as the cost of having a car. I have a car, and yet often choose not to drive it due to the cost/time involved with parking, etc. For example, my mom stops for groceries after work (or did before she retired), because she has her car. I also stop after work, but I never drive to work so don't have a car when I do this. (Where I live it's easy, though.)

Most commutes in the US are quite short, also. I think exceptions are around big cities and out in the sticks, as well as people who choose, for whatever reason, to live far from where they work (spouses have jobs in different places, live in-between, for example).

Anyway, like I said, I don't happen to think food deserts are the issue with obesity.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    One would think, the truly screwed are the poor who live in areas where it can be 60+ miles to a reasonably sized town. However, these people often tend to be cash poor, but environment resourceful, so to speak.
    Are you talking about them having gardens, or at least knowing people who have gardens? (Same could apply to fishing, hunting, I suppose.)

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    One would think, the truly screwed are the poor who live in areas where it can be 60+ miles to a reasonably sized town. However, these people often tend to be cash poor, but environment resourceful, so to speak.
    Are you talking about them having gardens, or at least knowing people who have gardens? (Same could apply to fishing, hunting, I suppose.)

I live on the outskirts of a small rural town in Nevada with the nearest supermarket 3 miles away. Some of my neighbors who don't have cars rely on a gas station convenience store for their groceries, a limited and expensive resource.

A vegetable garden, fruit trees, and backyard chickens supplement my diet very nicely, a luxury unavailable to most urban food-desert-dwellers, I'm guessing.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

I live on the outskirts of a small rural town in Nevada with the nearest supermarket 3 miles away. Some of my neighbors who don't have cars rely on a gas station convenience store for their groceries, a limited and expensive resource.

A vegetable garden, fruit trees, and backyard chickens supplement my diet very nicely, a luxury unavailable to most urban food-desert-dwellers, I'm guessing.

This, but usually it's not that they can't do it, in a realistic sense. It's that often, draconian city zoning codes levy fines for such things. Kinda defeats the purpose of growing your own food when you end up getting hit for 10x the value of the food potential in fines. Can't have people dodging your shady local sales taxes, ya' know?