Why is it SO HARD not to eat kids' leftovers?

Options
I know all the helpful thoughts - especially "it's still wasted if you eat it, only now you need to burn it off as well" - but I still feel this powerful urge, like it really bugs me to see the wasted food and I feel like it won't be so bad if I eat it. I don't even want it! And it's only half an omelette, it's not like it's going to break the bank (though how me eating it would somehow balance the books is a puzzle anyway).

Anyone got any insight into this? I feel if I could understand this, I'd be on my way to understanding other situations where I eat without actually wanting to.

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I ate my granddaughters leftover mini blueberry pancakes this morning:).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I could have made it smaller but her appetite is totally unpredictable and she often eats adult portions, especially omelettes. She had eaten all round the edges rather than a neat half, so I didn't fancy keeping it for tomorrow!

I successfully threw it away. I'm just trying to get a better handle on the urge.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    wrap it up and put it away for tomorrows left overs. We instinctively feel the need to not waste but as many have said, we are not garbage disposals. I meal prep so I prep food for the weekdays and it sits in the fridge until I eat it, there is no harm in doing the same with the kids left overs. Also, if they are not finishing their meals then make smaller portions for them. You are in control of what you eat, don't justify eating the left overs just for the sake of not wasting money, it's simply an excuse we tell ourselves to justify our actions.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    it's simply an excuse we tell ourselves to justify our actions.

I'd go with this explanation if I actually wanted it. But in this case (and others) I really didn't. I had my own omelette and I'm full after it - eating anything else is not that attractive (except maybe a small chocolate). It would have left me uncomfortable and sad.

I just felt somehow like I should eat it. Like it would make things right somehow.

It's weird.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Its a hard habit to break if you have a history of food insecurity. But like someone else mentioned, their germy little fingers have been on it, their snotty little noses have probably dripped on it and that makes it just so unappealing that I couldnt eat it without gagging (this may not be true of your Precious, but its good imaging!)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Yes, we have food recycling too, and it definitely helps - and yet here I am!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I serve my kids small portions and if they don't finish I wrap it up for later. I hate wasting food.