Wish fresh veggies weren't so expensive

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    KayCeeRein wrote: »
    That is crazy. I'm from Canada, and unless you shop the reduced racks this time of year, you are paying $2.99 a lb for fresh broccoli, $1.99 for head lettuce, $2.99 for leaf lettuce or romane, $4.99/lb for asparagus, $1.99 per lb for tomatoes, $3.49/lb for coloured bell peppers, $2.49/lb for green peppers, $3.99 for a pint of raspberries, $3.99 for a quart of strawberries..... On the reduced rack I still pay $1.25 for two peppers. I would be literally doing cartwheels if I could get two peppers for $0.79.

And that is why I say vegetables are expensive. Even a bag of frozen green giant broccoli is $2.99.

As a gardener, I find it helps to add some extra context around these particular vegetables. Those are the high-maintenance luxury vegetables, difficult to pack, ship, store, and immediately thrown out if they become the least bit soft or blemished. They are also entirely out of season, which is why they are so expensive. When people say to eat in season, they are referring to the storeable, durable "keepers" for the winter: apples, potatoes, carrots, onions, squash, cabbage. Have you priced those out? They often seem to be left out of pricing discussions for some reason.

I still have bags of leeks, carrots, and beets in my basement fridge that I harvested last fall, and just cooked up my last two red cabbages last week. I keep hoping the beets will spoil so I don't have to eat them, but so far they are not cooperating. I also have several pumpkins and squashes that were originally fall decorations still in a cool part of the basement and a grocery bag of potatoes in the root cellar. It is amazing how well some of these vegetables keep!

Yes, I want to join in on what a good point this is.

I really wanted asparagus yesterday and bought some (it was $2.99/lb for me, so quite a bit cheaper than the Canadian prices given above, as are all the other veg -- I'm in the US, but Chicago, which I imagine is expensive compared to lots of places in the US). Anyway, I do think that $2.99 price is expensive for what I got, but I knew it was a luxury to buy asparagus in March (and I usually don't, since I think it tastes much better in season and it's an early enough crop that it's fun to wait and get excited about it).

I do buy broccoli and cauliflower and brussels and green beans and summer squash "fresh" all year, because those are such staples for me, as well as the foods you mention, kale and spinach and chard, etc. But I do it as a luxury and would use frozen/go without certain veg out of season if I wanted to save money. (And I do eat a lot more winter squash and cabbage and root veg all winter long, and mostly frozen fruit other than apples and clementines and the occasional pear.)
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was going to complain that bell peppers have been 2 for $6 at all of the stores I shop at for months now, but I just checked the weekly sales ad and they're finally down to 88 cents each! Looks like I'm stocking up and freezing. A bag of 12 small Granny Smith apples was on sale for $6.99 last week, which seemed crazy to me, but cantaloupe was on sale for $.98/melon. I could probably shop at Aldi to save a little bit more on produce, but I don't have recycling and I hate buying their superpackagedproduce when I know I can't recycle it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Do that many people really have access to farmer's markets? I live in a smaller metro area (around 200k pop) in the middle of farm country and there are a couple a week in my community.

I can't see the logistics of a farmer's market near the downtown area of a large city. The fact the farmer has to drive 40-50 miles (in traffic) to get there plus the set-up logistics would seem to make it a curiosity/novelty at best as opposed to a sustainable source of food. The farmer sure isn't going to set up in the questionable areas of the community.

The farmer's market in the city nearest me (by no means a large city but more than a town) has booths set up that the farmers rent. The whole thing is outdoors but covered. The farmers just show up with their wares, put them on the table and wait for customers. I'm not sure but I believe cash registers are include since all the cash registers look the same. Once I retire from my day job I'll probably be there selling my fruits, vegetables and eggs.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Do that many people really have access to farmer's markets? I live in a smaller metro area (around 200k pop) in the middle of farm country and there are a couple a week in my community.

I can't see the logistics of a farmer's market near the downtown area of a large city. The fact the farmer has to drive 40-50 miles (in traffic) to get there plus the set-up logistics would seem to make it a curiosity/novelty at best as opposed to a sustainable source of food. The farmer sure isn't going to set up in the questionable areas of the community.

There are a huge number where I live (Chicago), during growing season (usually weekly but different ones are on different days, so you could hit them almost every day if willing to take public transportation -- they are early, of course). There's one on the South Side (so not far from some lower income areas, although also near Hyde Park) that is monthly during this time of year: https://experimentalstation.org/events/. I go to Hyde Park often on Saturdays (it's a nice bike ride, I have a book club that meets for lunch and discussion then), so keep meaning to check that one out, although where I am there are others.

Glad you have access.

I am a bit familiar with the area. I can't imagine anywhere within 30 miles of Hyde Park there would be enough land to make it worthwhile to grow crops, and be able to get them to the city to sell profitably.

I think the farmers markets are great, but not really a mass solution to fruit and veggie availability in our urban society.

I used to live right on the Midway in Hyde Park, and am an Indiana girl; it is about 17 miles from Hyde Park to Hammond, where there would be a crap-ton of land that would be perfect for truck farming, and a fairly quick shot up 94 at 6:00 on a Saturday morning (or 90 if you want to pay the $5 skybridge toll) to get to a weekend market with an affluent and/or highly educated clientele, which is the sort who can afford to live in Hyde Park.

More to the point, if you are driving in on Stony Island, you can see numerous vacant lots back in the Woodlawn neighborhood just begging for a sturdy fence, raised beds and truck farm goods to be grown on them by an enterprising member of the neighborhood. (I wouldn't recommend any starry-eyed outsiders come in and try it...but Woodlawn DOES even support a fairly robust winter farmer market, although the dates taper off in January to once a month).

In my own mid-sized city, in the high season we have a farmers market every day of the week, and the different growers set up at all the different markets; many of them have been doing this for years so it is obviously a worthwhile financial effort. We also have a co-op where local growers can sell their produce, and I believe the larger grocery stores have been getting in on that action as well.

NYC and Paris are legendary for amazing greenmarkets supported by (and supporting) a huge number of truck farmers who gladly and profitably make the trip from surrounding states. Outstanding farmers markets are integral to the entire food scene in cities like this.

You are correct that farmer's markets are certainly not going to replace industrial agriculture, and frozen or canned goods, and I haven't seen that they are particularly cheaper than the grocery, although the kind of produce I am looking to buy is well-grown, obscure, heirloom type stuff--fancy fingerlings rather than russet potatoes, for example. That is where the farmer's market niche is going to be, as well as selling to the better restaurants. But if you are not able to afford much in the way of produce, the very best thing you could do is show up at the end of the market and snap up at reduced rates all the stuff that the farmers do not want to load back on the truck and take home--maybe some things with a few dings and dents, or things that will not last. The really cool thing is that you have the chance to build a relationship with the actual farmers themselves; these are people who are passionate about well-grown food in EVERY sense and tend to have a soft spot in their heart for people who are in need and who will appreciate the produce brought about by so much blood, sweat and tears.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That is crazy. I'm from Canada, and unless you shop the reduced racks this time of year, you are paying $2.99 a lb for fresh broccoli, $1.99 for head lettuce, $2.99 for leaf lettuce or romane, $4.99/lb for asparagus, $1.99 per lb for tomatoes, $3.49/lb for coloured bell peppers, $2.49/lb for green peppers, $3.99 for a pint of raspberries, $3.99 for a quart of strawberries..... On the reduced rack I still pay $1.25 for two peppers. I would be literally doing cartwheels if I could get two peppers for $0.79.

And that is why I say vegetables are expensive. Even a bag of frozen green giant broccoli is $2.99.

As a gardener, I find it helps to add some extra context around these particular vegetables. Those are the high-maintenance luxury vegetables, difficult to pack, ship, store, and immediately thrown out if they become the least bit soft or blemished. They are also entirely out of season, which is why they are so expensive. When people say to eat in season, they are referring to the storeable, durable "keepers" for the winter: apples, potatoes, carrots, onions, squash, cabbage. Have you priced those out? They often seem to be left out of pricing discussions for some reason.

I still have bags of leeks, carrots, and beets in my basement fridge that I harvested last fall, and just cooked up my last two red cabbages last week. I keep hoping the beets will spoil so I don't have to eat them, but so far they are not cooperating. I also have several pumpkins and squashes that were originally fall decorations still in a cool part of the basement and a grocery bag of potatoes in the root cellar. It is amazing how well some of these vegetables keep!

Yes, I want to join in on what a good point this is.

I really wanted asparagus yesterday and bought some (it was $2.99/lb for me, so quite a bit cheaper than the Canadian prices given above, as are all the other veg -- I'm in the US, but Chicago, which I imagine is expensive compared to lots of places in the US). Anyway, I do think that $2.99 price is expensive for what I got, but I knew it was a luxury to buy asparagus in March (and I usually don't, since I think it tastes much better in season and it's an early enough crop that it's fun to wait and get excited about it).

I do buy broccoli and cauliflower and brussels and green beans and summer squash "fresh" all year, because those are such staples for me, as well as the foods you mention, kale and spinach and chard, etc. But I do it as a luxury and would use frozen/go without certain veg out of season if I wanted to save money. (And I do eat a lot more winter squash and cabbage and root veg all winter long, and mostly frozen fruit other than apples and clementines and the occasional pear.)

Here frozen fruit is usually as expensive, if not more so, than fresh no matter what the season. I hardly ever buy frozen fruit so when I had to I expected it to be cheap like frozen vegetables. It was outrageous! Cherries were almost $5 for a 10 oz bag!
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    fresh fruits and veggies are very expensive where i live- in NY- I grow a garden and try to can a lot of my own but I can't grow oranges here, it's to cold. I do grow tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, and squash and can/freeze it. I'm looking into a spliced apple tree that has 4 varieties, starting with an early fruit and ending with a late fall fruit. Has anyone every planted one of those?

I have a super-dwarf apple Relser! There is a fellow in chicago who has an entire functioning orchard of super dwarfs!
  • WafaeGettingFit
    WafaeGettingFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate how frozen vegetables taste (eww). I wish fresh vegetables were cheaper too :(
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I keep hoping the beets will spoil so I don't have to eat them, but so far they are not cooperating. I also have several pumpkins and squashes that were originally fall decorations still in a cool part of the basement and a grocery bag of potatoes in the root cellar. It is amazing how well some of these vegetables keep!

bwahaha. Beets are so good in soup (I have a bunch in my freezer right now that I chopped and bagged), especially paired with sauerkraut (pickled cabbage)(there is also a nice large bag of chopped red cabbage in there). =)

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    In Seattle proper, the Asian markets often have the best prices
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I keep hoping the beets will spoil so I don't have to eat them, but so far they are not cooperating. I also have several pumpkins and squashes that were originally fall decorations still in a cool part of the basement and a grocery bag of potatoes in the root cellar. It is amazing how well some of these vegetables keep!

bwahaha. Beets are so good in soup (I have a bunch in my freezer right now that I chopped and bagged), especially paired with sauerkraut (pickled cabbage)(there is also a nice large bag of chopped red cabbage in there). =)

pickled beets are awesome paired with collard greens.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hate how frozen vegetables taste (eww). I wish fresh vegetables were cheaper too :(

Yeah, I find frozen vegetables, especially green beans, to have a yucky aftertaste.

I sometimes buy frozen peas and carrots for pot pies though. Or soup.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

I actually DO love roasted beets in a salad with chevre, and borscht (shhh...don't tell my Polish SIL I called it by the Russian name....I can't spell the Polish version!). I just need to get off my butt and cook them, especially since I'm doing the 800 g challenge and have no excuses. :)
  • sylols84
    sylols84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Garden! Then "put up" (can, freeze, store) for the winter what you are able to. Plus your own frozen and canned foods taste so much better than store bought.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Yeah, I find frozen vegetables, especially green beans, to have a yucky aftertaste.

I sometimes buy frozen peas and carrots for pot pies though. Or soup.

Frozen peas are great in a curry, YUM. Curry covers any aftertaste, for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I gave you a like for this, despite what you said about the beets. Sacrilege!

I have constructed a kind of system for my shopping - I buy perishable foods shortly before I'm going to use them, and expensive foods occasionally. My staples are cheap and versatile non-perishables like grains and frozen and canned goods, and a selection of those sturdy fruits and vegetables, and enough meat and fish and milk and butter etc.

I think people are generally picky. Or just clueless? And that's sad because there are so many great things you can do with cheap food that doesn't comprise of throwing it on someone.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Except that 10 serves of fruit and vegetables are now recommended. 800 grams in total of vegetables and 200 grams of fruit. The reason most countries haven't adopted these recommendatios is because they know that most people are already not getting enough. I don't think many people around the world are overdoing vegetables, if that is even a possibility
    That's just crazy. I believe I eat plenty already, I enjoy that my diet is well balanced; I think more vegetables would make it hard for me to get enough energy. I'm also thinking of the adverse effect of this recommendation - the more difficult goal, the more people will feel that they are failing. And people who feel that they're failing, are not prone to make good decisions. If the intention is better public health, I would think emphasizing the recommendations that have big impact on health, and giving recommendations that are possible to reach in practice (not just in theory), will be most effective.

So a goal for good health, developed by and pretty much agreed upon by experts in the field should be watered down because its' too hard?

News flash, replacing for the most part the empty calories in sugary drinks, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, etc with fruits and veggies would have a big impact on public health

You are hearing something I'm not saying. I'd be replacing bread, milk, nuts, meat and fish, eggs, beans, rice, pasta, butter and yogurt with fruit and vegetables to reach that goal. So it's going to be negative for my health.

I'm so happy I've stopped blindly taking expert's advice.

I wasn't referring to you. I have no idea what you eat. The fact is Americans in general don't rat enough fruits and vegetables.

Enough for what?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Are you in the US? I've heard cauliflower is (or was, some months ago) expensive over there. Pick produce in season, or frozen. You're not supposed to overdo it, either. 3 100 grams servings of vegs and 2 servings of fruit per day is enough. Oh, and avoid "organic" if "not organic" is cheaper. And precut will be more expensive.

I don't really think you wish vegetables weren't so expensive. Vegs aren't expensive. But you prefer other foods? You can have a little of each, and your taste preferences can change and adapt to what you expose them to. Learn to cook.

Except that 10 serves of fruit and vegetables are now recommended. 800 grams in total of vegetables and 200 grams of fruit. The reason most countries haven't adopted these recommendatios is because they know that most people are already not getting enough. I don't think many people around the world are overdoing vegetables, if that is even a possibility
    That's just crazy. I believe I eat plenty already, I enjoy that my diet is well balanced; I think more vegetables would make it hard for me to get enough energy. I'm also thinking of the adverse effect of this recommendation - the more difficult goal, the more people will feel that they are failing. And people who feel that they're failing, are not prone to make good decisions. If the intention is better public health, I would think emphasizing the recommendations that have big impact on health, and giving recommendations that are possible to reach in practice (not just in theory), will be most effective.

So a goal for good health, developed by and pretty much agreed upon by experts in the field should be watered down because its' too hard?

News flash, replacing for the most part the empty calories in sugary drinks, chips, candy, cookies, cakes, etc with fruits and veggies would have a big impact on public health

You are hearing something I'm not saying. I'd be replacing bread, milk, nuts, meat and fish, eggs, beans, rice, pasta, butter and yogurt with fruit and vegetables to reach that goal. So it's going to be negative for my health.

I'm so happy I've stopped blindly taking expert's advice.

I wasn't referring to you. I have no idea what you eat. The fact is Americans in general don't rat enough fruits and vegetables.

Enough for what?

Enough fruits and vegetables for health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I gave you a like for this, despite what you said about the beets. Sacrilege!

I have constructed a kind of system for my shopping - I buy perishable foods shortly before I'm going to use them, and expensive foods occasionally. My staples are cheap and versatile non-perishables like grains and frozen and canned goods, and a selection of those sturdy fruits and vegetables, and enough meat and fish and milk and butter etc.

I think people are generally picky. Or just clueless? And that's sad because there are so many great things you can do with cheap food that doesn't comprise of throwing it on someone.

The thing that taught me to use perishables without letting them go bad, and also to be less picky I wouldn't necessarily recommend to all, but it was good for me: cooking from a CSA box. Since I had to use it up and didn't need other veg, I was forced to just cook with/plan around what I had. I was excited to find that I enjoyed this much more than buying for a pre-existing meal plan, which always felt like a strait-jacket to me, I never could stand it. (I know some love it, of course.)

I can always whip up a good meal (or several) from what I happen to have at home, which makes cooking so much easier and also less expensive. (The CSA box is not an inexpensive way to get vegetables, however, although there may be similar things that are.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

kimny72 wrote: »
    Exactly. If you live somewhere with a discernible winter, you won't be able to eat warm weather produce all year long on a budget. I think folks are reading all the FB articles telling you to eat superfoods and trendy produce and think that's what you have to do to be healthy and it's so expensive. But the bolded items are in season, as you said they are storable, and they are great, healthy additions to your diet. Then when it warms up, there will be a lot more variety that you can get on a budget. As far as frozen veggies, wait for sales and stock up. I guess it's possible that there are some areas of the world where all forms of all produce are more expensive than any other food products, but I really think usually this is more about people's perception than anything else.

If you have $5 in your pocket when you walk into the grocery store, you buy the plain Cheerios instead of Honey Nut Cheerios because you get a bigger box for the price, you buy the cheaper store brand mac & cheese instead of Kraft, and you buy the big cheap bag of whole carrots and a head of cabbage instead of one red pepper.

Great posts!

I believe citrus is in season now too.

I see peaches at the supermarket, but have learned that peaches that are not local are dreadful. They are picked too early so they will transport well and never ripen properly.