Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Options
Calimom10
Calimom10 Posts: 6 Member
I would love some input and advice from other parents.. or anyone who has an opinion on this subject!

So, for the past few months I have been very concerned about my 11 year old son. Hes already very thin and has been talking about how fat he is. He has been eating much less, wanting to eat low carb bread over the whole wheat white bread he normally eats, and the last time I had lunch with him in his school he only ate 2 bites of his food. He said he was saving his appetite for popcorn in class.
A little background about me ( was bulimic and anorexic for 12 years) His biological father also was bulimic. So I already know there is a good chance my kids will have eating disorders.

The other day he told me that his gym teacher has been talking about calorie counting. She told the kids that she had to eat nuts for dinner even though she was hungry because she reached her calorie limit for the day. She told them that they should limit calories. She also tells them that they're getting to an age where they need to start worrying about what they eat and that they should try to burn off every meal. She tells them that if they eat junk food they should do push ups or something to burn calories. She also talks about how they will see overweight kids in middle school next year and that they need to make choices to avoid being overweight.
I've talked to another mother with three kids in the same school and they confirmed that this is the way she teaches. Even the second graders are being told to count calories.

I'm absolutely livid!! I don't think kids need to worry about calories. No wonder my son has been not eating. PLEASE- feel free to give me some advice on how you would handle this. I've emailed the principal and teacher and am planning to meet with them.

Are gym teachers even allowed to give nutritional advice like this? I'm not about to allow this woman to be the trigger of my son's eating disorder. Although it's likely too late.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Go talk to the teacher and then, if necessary, the principal. She should not be telling kids to count calories but you need to go straight to the source to know if she really is or not.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Did you confirm what she's really saying? I'm wondering if it's possible she's saying something else and the kids are misunderstanding. That doesn't mean it's their fault - she might be communicating poorly.