having a lot of trouble committing

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
really having trouble losing weight. i want to lose weight. i know how to lose weight in terms of food and excercise. my issue is actually getting the body to do what the mind needs it to do.

every day i wake up saying "today is the day, im going to do this" and by lunch time im scoffing and iced coffee and eating crap again. if you look through my history on here, you will see that i have "restarted" many times.

it is really starting to get me down. i dont know what to do.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You have to want it more than you don't or more than you want the "crap". But if you can make the iced coffee and crap fit your calorie goals it will be a lot easier to commit. I drink iced coffee every single day.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It all in our heads
    Sort your head out the rest will follow

I have many times stuck to plan for over a year then bam I've lost that willpower and resort to old
    Just gradually make changes don't do the all or nothing start with calorie reduction then do a walking plan don't go full steam into something that you know isn't manageable forever
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    It all in our heads
    Sort your head out the rest will follow

I have many times stuck to plan for over a year then bam I've lost that willpower and resort to old
    Just gradually make changes don't do the all or nothing start with calorie reduction then do a walking plan don't go full steam into something that you know isn't manageable forever

I completely agree with this. It is all in your head. I tried to lose weight for years and then I had a silly "a ha" moment and finally decided I was going to lose weight no matter what. You don't want to try to make a lot of changes all at once because it is too overwhelming. Just make one healthy decision at a time and build upon that. When I first started losing weight, I told myself I was going to workout 5 times a week. That was it. Nothing with my diet or anything else. Once I started working out 5 days a week, I felt so good, I then added the rule of only having alcohol on weekends and not during the week. I stuck with JUST those two rules for several months and lost 30 pounds. Then I bought a heart rate monitor and started counting calories and eating a lot less processed food and went on to lose 66 pounds total. It did take about 2 years but as everyone here says, it is a marathon not a race. And yes, I gained about 20 pounds back over the last few years (due to being in a relationship with someone with unhealthy habits, a medication I went on, and quitting smoking) but I am back at it again and have only lost about 4 pounds since the beginning of February but I can't let myself get down because it will mess with my head and I will fail. I know I just need to get back to how my lifestyle was when I lost weight before and once I get used to it, it will be second nature. It is hard at first making changes and getting used to doing something differently than you are used to (eating differently, counting calories, working out, etc) but it DOES get easier.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You need to find your 'why'. Until you do that it'll always be half hearted and will never really work

^^^ This. This was the only thing that got me started, finding my "why". I didn't want the change enough last year, even though I hated how I looked, hated how I felt. It clicked for me this past New Years Eve and I've been on the good path since. Find your "why".
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It is only you that can control this, a virtual kick does not hurt. To prevent excuses, work out when you wake up if that will be part of your program, which will set you up for the day, and make you feel like you can conquer the world, and make your own lunch to bring to work, to cut out the crap food. But the only one that can convince you is you
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial starter too. I know that point in the day when I would feel like this was a bad day to start because (fill in the blank) so I'll just eat what I really want right now and start over tomorrow or next week or next month.

For me it was high stress and depression and insomnia that were making it hard for me to take on yet another big project...that project being to lose weight. Taking steps to deal with those disrupters helped me to focus on the bigger picture and my goals instead of medicating my despair in the moment.

• HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Don't take your wallet to work if possible. I would bring well thought out and prepared meals, eat them, and eat chips and chocolate from the canteen anyway. Once I stopped bringing cash I stopped eating from there and broke the bad habit. Now I can bring my wallet to work and not feel the need to buy anything
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Try hypnosis or - better yet - EFT ... if you know what you need to do and just aren't doing it, the mental / emotional arena is likely where you need to work.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I can only make small changes at a time. It takes me about 2 months to make that small change stick as a habit then I can do another small change. So why don't you start with one small habit change. Now today start logging everything everything that you eat and drink. Give yourself a few weeks then add another good habit maybe packing lunch and snacks or having plain coffee instead of fancy coffee dessert .
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    It really helps to have a weight-loss partner. Someone with whom you can be honest. Share your diaries and have at it again.

Yes, and plan your eats. If you want an iced coffee every day with a snack, then have it. Find a way to make it work in your daliy budget.

And take your time. No need to lose weight quickly.

Best of luck. You are counting on you!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You might want to get a copy of the "Beck Diet Solution" book, which is a cognitive-behavioral approach that will help with the head (cognitive) part.

http://www.beckdietsolution.com