Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »
    There is a steep hill from the pasture gate to the porch, then a little incline to the garage. I may race the dog from the gate but usually stop at the porch. Today I ran all the way to the garage. Surprised the dog,

Hihi, I guess you ended up winning, with the dog still standing there going "WTF! she never does that!" :wink:

My mom's dog now hates going on 'walks' with me. Dog is obese by dog standards, so 'walking' with me is quite a work out for it. I do make sure to plan the 'walks' so that we pass the pond at the halfway point so it can get a drink (and make dog go swimming... it's good for it :tongue: ). Ever since I started, it has lost about 1kg (still about 7kg overweight, which is HUGE on a beagle)

I love hearing how our fitness walks make dogs fit too. Thanks for the story. It gets so hot here in Florida that I can't take Ellie out as much in the summer, but in these winter months we do two miles several times a week. Even if there was a pond we couldn't stop due to those pesky alligators.

Lol the most dangerous thing around here are wild boars (scary *kitten* to meet in the forest) but those are usually only out and about close to the settlements at around twilight (so mornings and evenings when the sun's going up or down). So no worry about pesky alligators in the pond.

The dog currently fits with the overall theme of the family (overweight or obese). I figured I'll try to make it profit from my journey. It's a hunting dog, it needs the exercise even if it's as lazy as I used to be.

(PS: weighed it this morning: 18.7kg. It started somewhere above 20kg, so that's more than 1kg lost now :smile: )

Does that count as a SV for the dog or a NSV for me? :tongue:

This is pretty amazing. I used to work in a vet practice and it's really hard to get animals to shift weight (or persuade their owners to help them). So well done you. That dog has lost over 7% of its original weight. That's a considerable amount when you think about it.

Especially when you consider that
    a) it's a trash compactor on 4 paws and permanently hungry (it will eat anything and everything it gets its paws on). I'm going to try and bulk her food with veggies to see if added low calorie volume might help.
    b) it suffers from epilepsy but we can't risk giving meds (mother died from the side effects of epilepsy meds), but running with me actually seems to have helped stabilize the situation (burning off the nervous energy and taking the mind off food?) and the vet urgently advised gentle weight loss to help the situation.
    c) it thinks its the beta in the house (it accepts me as alpha and treats my parents as omegas... It actually is kinda sad, but I can't seem to get the message across to my parents that it's a dog, not a human and needs to be treated as such, i.e. consistency in orders and reaction to non-compliance, no scraps from the table, no food outside of the fixed meal times, etc...)

BTW that 7% loss was over the past 6 months. I'm trying to take it as slow as possible to avoid triggering an epileptic episode in case food and food anxiety really are the main triggers (what we suspect).

It's hard work losing weight when you're the one in charge of yourself. It's agonizing when it's a pet and there are other people involved in said pet's primary care (I work full-time, so I'm not home a lot).

With that information, I'm even more impressed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!