Why is it SO HARD not to eat kids' leftovers?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You're not a trash can. You don't need to eat garbage. Throw that stuff away. Think of yourself as something to be treated well - not as a human garbage disposal.

That would only be true if she was feeding her kids garbage.

An omelette hardly qualifies. ;)

I was raised in a clean-your-plate generational mentality, because food wasn't something we had an excess of back then. It did take me a while to break that mentality when I became a mom.

We have green bin recycling here - food scraps go into the bin and are collected once a week and composted by the town. Every spring residents can pick up free compost. Works for me, and I no longer feel guilty about not eating leftovers. :)

But once the kids are done and have eaten all they are going to eat it is garbage - not something she needs to be shoving in her face no matter how healthy it is. Compost bin is fine but she's not a compost bin either. She needs to realize she has more value than that and treat herself accordingly.

I'm confused. When I eat all I'm going to eat and there are leftovers, they are leftovers, not garbage. I often save leftovers for a frittata.

Is it because the food was touched by an apparently toxic child that leftovers become garbage?
    I hardly think of feeding my kid garbage. Processed food isn't the devil. People who got fat did because they just flat out ate more than they needed to on a daily basis.

Oh I give up. Eat all the damn food and get fat as hell what do I care. I never said processed food was garbage or kids were toxic. I said not to treat your body as a trash can by eating food your kids are not going to eat and no one else is going to eat. If you don't want to keep them as leftovers and they only other option was to throw them away then YES they are garbage. But apparently I should encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control because EAT ALL THE FOOOOOD!!!! Good lord. You people are impossible.

I fail to see how not understanding why 'leftovers = garbage' equals "encouraging the OP to shovel every morsel of food in the whole damn house into her mouth without any self control."

Perhaps what you're trying to do is encourage the OP to think of leftovers as garbage as a mental trick? In that case it would be more clear if that's how you framed it, instead of insisting that something is garbage when it is not necessarily so.

Take leftover grapes or baby carrots for example. Would you have a problem putting these leftovers back in the frig if they had been untouched by the little munchkin's snotty hands?

I wouldn't have had an issue with putting the omelet in the fridge but if the only option I was entertaining was the trash can or my mouth and I didn't actually want to eat it then I would chose the trash can because clearly at that point it is garbage. I'm sorry that offends you so much. I'm still not changing my opinion to make you happy.

You don't offend me. You confuse me.

I don't want you to change your opinion, I want you to explain it, preferably without all the drama, as this hurts your case.

I can't explain it to someone who has their own agenda. I don't play those games. I'm out.

If my agenda is to get you to articulate an understandable and defensible position, then yes, I have an agenda. Sorry you find it offensive.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    There also seems to be a debate about left overs. I it's just a few bites of this and/or that it really isn't a big deal to me. Now something like half or more is. However this is where I get back to how much I serve. If it's something I know they don't like but want to encourage them to taste they really only get a sample size, just enough for a taste. It took me some time to get their portion sizes right. They don't tend to wax and wane in how much they eat around here so it's pretty easy. I also make sure they aren't eating a lot of extra snacks.
  • hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Omg !! This post is me,i noticed once i get tempted to eat my childs last chicken nugget or last three pieces of chips I just throw it right away as fast as I can and once it's in the garbage it helps me not want to eat again
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I totally understand not wanting to waste food, and I'm guilty of having eaten my sons leftovers too. What I sometimes do now is if he has something I know he won't finish I'll make myself a smaller plate. That way if i end up finishing his Im averaging out to about what my own serving would be.

That being said, I'm better now at just tossing food he doesn't eat.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Giving a child adult size portions is never a good idea what made you do this? :open_mouth:
    Also eating other people's portions is just extra calories. If you're not losing weight on your method right now it's because you're over-eating and one of the reasons is because of these extra portions.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I serve very small serving sizes to kids. If they want more they can have more. If they don't eat the VERY SMALL serving size I gave them, they can eat it for the next meal. No skin off my back. But I'm not touching their leftovers.
  • KhadijahOwos
    KhadijahOwos Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're not a trash can. You don't need to eat garbage. Throw that stuff away. Think of yourself as something to be treated well - not as a human garbage disposal.

At what point did this food become garbage...?

Or, are we to assume that this lady was feeding her children garbage to begin with...?

A lot of very unhelpful comments here. OP, I would go with the suggestions about limiting portion sizes in the first place, which would mean less waste, and less overeating.

Good luck!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Giving a child adult size portions is never a good idea what made you do this? :open_mouth:

Depends on the food, the adult and the child. If we have eggs and toast for breakfast, I have two eggs. So does my three year old. He has no problem eating both, and they're good for him. (I have two slices of toast; he has one.) If we have pancakes for breakfast or pasta for dinner, he eats as much as me. But that's more a factor of me watching my portions than of him eating a lot. Admittedly, he'll usually have a very small lunch on a pancake breakfast day, so his total daily calories are less than mine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Thanks @amusedmonkey, that's pretty much it. Now I just wish I really understood why!

To all the people scrapping over leftovers: everyone has a different policy on this. I will save leftovers if they have not been served up, but if they have been on someone's plate and are half-eaten, I won't. So in this case, the omelette was either going to be finished at that meal, or thrown in the food waste.

I wasn't really looking for advice on whether to eat it or not. I was looking for strength to resist the urge (I got that just by writing the post) and then some insight on why I feel driven to eat things like this when I don't actually want to.

It's such a weird urge, and being intellectually convinced that I needn't eat it, while useful, doesn't seem to make the feeling go away and so in weak moments, like last night, it can still be a problem.
    It's habitual behavior, which can be changed. That's basically why we do just about anything in life. We are creatures of habit and like to stick to routines. Changes in them may throw us off a bit, but as I've mentioned they can be changed to better habits with discipline and consistency.
    Habits are why people smoke, have dessert after dinner, exercise everyday, have a drink a the end of the day, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What surprises me is how stubborn this particular urge seems to be.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Thanks @amusedmonkey, that's pretty much it. Now I just wish I really understood why!

To all the people scrapping over leftovers: everyone has a different policy on this. I will save leftovers if they have not been served up, but if they have been on someone's plate and are half-eaten, I won't. So in this case, the omelette was either going to be finished at that meal, or thrown in the food waste.

I wasn't really looking for advice on whether to eat it or not. I was looking for strength to resist the urge (I got that just by writing the post) and then some insight on why I feel driven to eat things like this when I don't actually want to.

It's such a weird urge, and being intellectually convinced that I needn't eat it, while useful, doesn't seem to make the feeling go away and so in weak moments, like last night, it can still be a problem.
    It's habitual behavior, which can be changed. That's basically why we do just about anything in life. We are creatures of habit and like to stick to routines. Changes in them may throw us off a bit, but as I've mentioned they can be changed to better habits with discipline and consistency.
    Habits are why people smoke, have dessert after dinner, exercise everyday, have a drink a the end of the day, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What surprises me is how stubborn this particular urge seems to be.
    Could be linked to something that brought you joy in the past. Or maybe you had the "clean plate" mentality instilled in you when you were young. Or maybe seeing commercials of Sally Struthers affected you. Who knows, but it's still a habit that can be changed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Or, are we to assume that this lady was feeding her children garbage to begin with...?

A lot of very unhelpful comments here. OP, I would go with the suggestions about limiting portion sizes in the first place, which would mean less waste, and less overeating.

Good luck!

Food becomes garbage when one has decided it should go in the trash but then eats it instead. But since I am the only one who seems to think that she doesn't need to eat food she doesn't want to eat I will concede I am clearly wrong and she should eat the food whether she wants to or not.
  • 007lt
    007lt Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know all the helpful thoughts - especially "it's still wasted if you eat it, only now you need to burn it off as well" - but I still feel this powerful urge, like it really bugs me to see the wasted food and I feel like it won't be so bad if I eat it. I don't even want it! And it's only half an omelette, it's not like it's going to break the bank (though how me eating it would somehow balance the books is a puzzle anyway).

Anyone got any insight into this? I feel if I could understand this, I'd be on my way to understanding other situations where I eat without actually wanting to.

throw it in the bin before your tempted.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options

Good luck!

Food becomes garbage when one has decided it should go in the trash but then eats it instead. But since I am the only one who seems to think that she doesn't need to eat food she doesn't want to eat I will concede I am clearly wrong and she should eat the food whether she wants to or not.

Where are you getting this stuff??? No one is encouraging her to EAT the leftovers. However a lot of other suggestions have been made. Things like serve smaller portions, or ruin the left over food so it won't be edible or appealing, have the kids scrape their own plates after meals etc.... You may be upset because many of us don't feel that the food becomes garbage once the meal is over until that food is actually in the trash can or sink, but saying that we are all encouraging her to eat with wreckless abandon is not right or accurate. At least keep the conversation honest.
  • fractalized
    fractalized Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I think it's a pretty normal impulse to try to make use of things somehow or save stuff you went to the trouble of making. Just my sense anyway.

Everyone in my family is trim except for me. We're all clean plate eaters, every single one of us. The difference for a long time was just that my family would clean small bowls of food, or not eat anymore for the day if they polished off a huge restaurant burrito similar and stopped after a piece or two of pizza. I don't seem to balance calories intuitively like they all do. With no tracking system I just go for more more more more until I physically can't. Really glad there's MFP to give me balance, it's so useful.

Anyway, one more thought, given the things you've mentioned in this thread:

I read that you don't want to make smaller omelettes to start, in case she wants more, but how about making the large omelette, cutting it in half, and serving her half?

If she wants the second half, plate it up. If she doesn't, the second half of the omelette is still pristine and can be saved for an egg sandwich or a breakfast burrito later.

Just thoughts anyway, good luck whatever you choose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,915 Member
    Options

Good luck!

No one has said she should eat food she doesn't want to eat. In fact, everyone is saying the opposite. What some of us are disputing with you is that leftovers = garbage.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Get a dog. Feed the dog the leftovers as additions to their dry dog food (clearly this only applies to dog friendly foods). Problem solved.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I worked with a guy who was really wacko about his food. We all have little issues on food, some people don't want theirs to touch etc...... This guy was nutty kinda guarding his plate, didn't want people to see his food. If you ever watched a dog guarding it's food, that's the look.

He attributed all his issues his mother cleaning his plate. Maybe this guy would have been whacked if mummy didn't steal his food?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options

Good luck!

Where are you getting this stuff??? No one is encouraging her to EAT the leftovers. However a lot of other suggestions have been made. Things like serve smaller portions, or ruin the left over food so it won't be edible or appealing, have the kids scrape their own plates after meals etc.... You may be upset because many of us don't feel that the food becomes garbage once the meal is over until that food is actually in the trash can or sink, but saying that we are all encouraging her to eat with wreckless abandon is not right or accurate. At least keep the conversation honest.

So ruining the food so its not edible is okay but throwing it away isn't. Makes perfect sense. And no kid has ever been served a smaller portion and still not eaten it all. Gotcha.
  • Ready2Rock206
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good luck!

No one has said she should eat food she doesn't want to eat. In fact, everyone is saying the opposite. What some of us are disputing with you is that leftovers = garbage.

Except people are saying to ruin the food, feed it to the dog, have the kids throw it out. What is the difference between that and just throwing it away? Oh yeah - people just want to create drama.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Wow. Stray from the topic much. It's about choices. I used eat my kids food because it was there. It was all mental. So now, I ruin my kids leftovers with a spray bottle of vinegar. To create habits which allow me to change my mindset of over eating I will sacrifice food and ruin it because a little bit of wasting food means nothing to me when my health is on the line.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,236 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Compost is high in carbs and will make you gain faster than leftovers.

So eat humus instead. Oops, hummus. ( ;) )