New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Has anybody tried chocolate leather?
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, calorie counts on menus are only required by law in New York, and then only on restaurants with multiple locations; I cannot remember where the cutoff is. For restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory, since they have to do it in NY they might as well do it everywhere, instead of printing two sets of menus; they can save money on consolidating. Most likely when the other restaurants place their reorders for menus, they get the ones with the calorie counts.

I don't like restaurants with 15 pages of menu items; it means their quality control cannot be very good, because they are trying to do too many things. Give me a local restaurant with a short menu (1 is best, but anything under 4 is acceptable) anytime. SInce they are focused on fewer items, the quality tends to be better.

As a separate question, I've seen a bunch of posts on this thread saying things like "I don't normally go for _____ item/flavor, but I've been thinking about trying it". I am not judging, this is a curiosity thing; if you don't like something, why waste the money or calories to keep trying it if you know you won't like it? Maybe I've just been keeping track of calories too long to waste them on something that doesn't sound good out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, I try new things regularly, but I know I don't like cabbage or cauliflower, so I don't buy or order anything with those particular ingredients. It makes it much easier to keep under my calorie counts.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    As far as I know, calorie counts on menus are only required by law in New York, and then only on restaurants with multiple locations; I cannot remember where the cutoff is. For restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory, since they have to do it in NY they might as well do it everywhere, instead of printing two sets of menus; they can save money on consolidating. Most likely when the other restaurants place their reorders for menus, they get the ones with the calorie counts.

I don't like restaurants with 15 pages of menu items; it means their quality control cannot be very good, because they are trying to do too many things. Give me a local restaurant with a short menu (1 is best, but anything under 4 is acceptable) anytime. SInce they are focused on fewer items, the quality tends to be better.

As a separate question, I've seen a bunch of posts on this thread saying things like "I don't normally go for _____ item/flavor, but I've been thinking about trying it". I am not judging, this is a curiosity thing; if you don't like something, why waste the money or calories to keep trying it if you know you won't like it? Maybe I've just been keeping track of calories too long to waste them on something that doesn't sound good out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, I try new things regularly, but I know I don't like cabbage or cauliflower, so I don't buy or order anything with those particular ingredients. It makes it much easier to keep under my calorie counts.

*Raises hand* I'm guilty, but I'm placing the blame on GNC employees for this one. I HATE and I do mean hate 99.9999% of Fit Joy bars. They're like eating a waxy and overly perfumed Yankee Candle in a protein bar to me. Seriously. Gross.
    However, every single darn time I go to GNC they talk me into trying whatever the latest flavor is by saying it will be different. I got talked into the Cookies & Cream flavor and I surprisingly loved it!!!! So this is why. Because you never know when a new flavor will surprise you!

Like Enlightened, too, I expected to hate their Bananas Foster pint because I don't like bananas too much. However, I adored this as it reminded me of banana pudding (apparently the one exception).

I also hated cilantro and carrots for the longest time, but now I love both go figure. Taste buds change!

ALSO OH MY GOODNESS EVERYONE PSA. I was in Target shopping today and noticed HALO TOP! Since when did Target sell HALO TOP!?

I also found the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and picked up the Espresso flavor since it was on cartwheel for 10% off. Has anyone tried these yet? It's 290 calories so I'm not having it today, but hopefully I'll get around to trying it within the next few days!

What I did try, however, was Starbucks new Cinnamon AlmondMilk Macchiato. Thumbs down from me. Usually I love macchiatos but the almondmilk gave it a weird flavor and I would have enjoyed it much better with 2%.

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

*Raises hand* I'm guilty, but I'm placing the blame on GNC employees for this one. I HATE and I do mean hate 99.9999% of Fit Joy bars. They're like eating a waxy and overly perfumed Yankee Candle in a protein bar to me. Seriously. Gross.
    However, every single darn time I go to GNC they talk me into trying whatever the latest flavor is by saying it will be different. I got talked into the Cookies & Cream flavor and I surprisingly loved it!!!! So this is why. Because you never know when a new flavor will surprise you!

Like Enlightened, too, I expected to hate their Bananas Foster pint because I don't like bananas too much. However, I adored this as it reminded me of banana pudding (apparently the one exception).

I also hated cilantro and carrots for the longest time, but now I love both go figure. Taste buds change!

ALSO OH MY GOODNESS EVERYONE PSA. I was in Target shopping today and noticed HALO TOP! Since when did Target sell HALO TOP!?

I also found the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and picked up the Espresso flavor since it was on cartwheel for 10% off. Has anyone tried these yet? It's 290 calories so I'm not having it today, but hopefully I'll get around to trying it within the next few days!

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

How much is halo top at target? and btw did you get my private message about enlightened/halo top?
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Calorie counts are required on menus here too by law, but only chain stores that have 20 or more locations. It keeps the small businesses from going broke but forces people to know their calories whether they want to or not (believe me, a LOT of people complain about having it in their faces).
  • hgycta
    Options

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

How much is halo top at target? and btw did you get my private message about enlightened/halo top?

$4.99! A dollar cheaper than at Wegmans and 50 cents cheaper than at Shoprite for me! I'll have to keep a sharper eye out on cartwheel from now on because of this ;) I did not see any messages but I'll check now!
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How I have to go to Target to see if they have Halo Top! I wish someone around here would sell Enlightened! Kroger has bars. I got the salted caramel bars and omg they were so good. Does anyone know if pints taste the same?

I also got carrot cake kisses and surprisingly they tasted like carrot cake. I like them very much.

Has anyone tried these before? Are they good? va8pt0mgzcva.jpg

yup.jpg 246.7K
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    arya8 wrote: »
    How I have to go to Target to see if they have Halo Top! I wish someone around here would sell Enlightened! Kroger has bars. I got the salted caramel bars and omg they were so good. Does anyone know if pints taste the same?

I also got carrot cake kisses and surprisingly they tasted like carrot cake. I like them very much.

yes they give away free samples too!
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

Cool! How do you get free samples? I want to order some because they have free shipping, yay!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Cool! How do you get free samples? I want to order some because they have free shipping, yay!

every weekend on their fb page ive done few times and they send two bars each time!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

It's a law. The compliance deadline is May 2017, but many restaurants have already complied. Cheesecake Factory apparently waited as long as they could.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm515020.htm

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options

Yes, delicious. Better than Quest.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

$4.99! A dollar cheaper than at Wegmans and 50 cents cheaper than at Shoprite for me! I'll have to keep a sharper eye out on cartwheel from now on because of this ;) I did not see any messages but I'll check now!

Ooh maybe my local Target will get it, but they suck at getting new items in.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    2hdz91c.jpg
    These were good, nothing special but good.

1ytwll.jpg
    The cinnamon flavor is really good and strong here, but I'm not a fan of the texture. Kind of gritty.

14u9i77.jpg
    These are DELICIOUS. They taste just like Nutter Butter cookies.
  • hgycta
    Options

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

Ooh maybe my local Target will get it, but they suck at getting new items in.

Mine normally does too, I still can't find the new lemon or coconut Kodiak Cakes mix!!!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I made the "Harris Teeter Salted Caramel Ready To Bake Liquid Batter Cupcakes, (Lord that's a mouthful!) this morning. Unfortunately, they were absolutely DELICIOUS! I ate one for breakfast! A bit of a crunchy top, and a marvelous salted caramel flavor. I don't know how they come up with these things. I mean, you cut open the bag, and pour the batter into a cupcake tin. And bake. WAY too easy! I wouldn't make them again and keep them in the house - they are too good.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    14u9i77.jpg
    These are DELICIOUS. They taste just like Nutter Butter cookies.

I tried a sample of those things at BJ's, and they ARE good. Too small for the calories, though, for me to buy them. But my BF would go through a box in 2 days!
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My giant has the limited edition hostess ice creams. I'm so disappointed they don't have the twinkle flavor! I'll have to look at the other one.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    fvyixpipxts1.jpg
    Tried nutrigrain crumb cakes only 160 calories and were good size. Was absolutely delicious warmed up. Loved the crumb topping. Was really good not not amazing and wouldn't buy again. Was nice for a change though
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    My friend sent me a package of mini Melanie birthday cake truffles for my birthday