Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Elementary School Gym teachers telling kids to restrict calories!

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    marelthu wrote: »
    If the teacher or the school want to teach kids about appropriate eating they should bring in a nutritionist or a dietitian.

A PE teacher would in most cases have training to provide basic nutrition information via college classes required for the major.

Lord knows what a nutritionist would say as there are no qualifications to be called a nutritionist . A dietitian would be great, but unfortunately not in the budget of most school's.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    This is exactly why I homeschool. I don't want other people raising my children and teaching things I am not on board with. Too many cooks in the kitchen. This teacher has probably struggled with weight loss and wants to save them from experiencing the same, but honestly it's not her place to teach them things like that. Teachers often overstep their bounds and this is just one example of many. I am sorry you are having to deal with the aftermath of that. The only advice I have is to consider homeschooling. It is truly a joy and a blessing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If the teacher or the school want to teach kids about appropriate eating they should bring in a nutritionist or a dietitian.

A PE teacher would in most cases have training to provide basic nutrition information via college classes required for the major.

Lord knows what a nutritionist would say as there are no qualifications to be called a nutritionist . A dietitian would be great, but unfortunately not in the budget of most school's.

Seriously? I doubt PE teachers have any more training on this at all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »

Teachers in my Canadian province are mainly considered generalists. I taught general science, math and physics. I was trained in bio. Never taught it.

Who knows what training the teacher had... I don't really see much wrong with what they said still.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

Per this article nutrition courses are a common part of physical education programs

http://college.usatoday.com/2014/11/18/top-10-colleges-to-major-in-health-and-physical-fitness/

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. Not training whatsoever.
  • younique80s
    younique80s Posts: 64 Member
    Starting this year, my son's school is going "healthy". We aren't allowed to send sweets to school for their birthdays or holidays. They talk about what's healthy to eat and what isn't. My son comes home from school asking what we have that's healthy that he can eat. They do push-ups and sit ups in PE. (He's in 2nd grade) I'm perfectly fine with them discussing nutrition and health with my kid. He gets excited about it.
  • younique80s
    younique80s Posts: 64 Member
    OP, does your kid know about your eating disorder? Or his dad's? Do you openly talk about it with him? Or do you shield him from it?
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Encouraging a healthy life style and making better food choices is awesome however this teacher is doing it the wrong way. Kids and teenagers are growing and need a sufficient amount of calories. Calorie restricting for these groups is not beneficial to there physical or mental development
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Xvapor wrote: »
    Encouraging a healthy life style and making better food choices is awesome however this teacher is doing it the wrong way. Kids and teenagers are growing and need a sufficient amount of calories. Calorie restricting for these groups is not beneficial to there physical or mental development

It is when the beetus is already kicking in their door by age ten.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017

Most PE teachers graduate with a dual major in Physical Education and Health Education. Although the requirements vary from state to state, many states require a certain number of health ed credits in order to teach health. These credits include sex ed and nutrition. Long time teachers get grandfathered in on the condition that they get enough CE credits in health ed. My Mom had to go back and get Health Ed certified in order to keep her job.
  • Xvapor
    parents need to take responsibility and encourage healthy eating habits and active lifestyle. Encouraging Caloric restrictions won't solve that problem sir.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    parents need to take responsibility and encourage healthy eating habits and active lifestyle. Encouraging Caloric restrictions won't solve that problem sir.

Once again, have you looked at the newbie posts around here? Most parents are just as, if not more clueless than their kids. You expect them to teach something that they know nothing about?
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Children should do activitie an hour each day. No need to do push up after each meal. As long they get their calcium, fibre, fruit and veg for the day. They are good to go. Sometimes you get those gym teachers trying to impose their habits to children. Just cause they are teachers doesn't necessarily mean they will give good advice.

Things what teachers say, can have a big impact if not permanent changes in a child.
  • Xvapor
    I get what you are saying! I have no issues with schools teaching healthy eating and active lifestyle all I said was calorie restriction is a terrible idea
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

It is when the beetus is already kicking in their door by age ten.

If a kid is overweight, he or she needs to limit calories. But it has to be stressed that this is something that should be determined with data...not as a blanket statement.

AND...it's often not enough to have an overweight kid just get more exercise. If a kid goes on a walk and then eats all the calories back with eating two Pop-Tarts, the net calorie burn is zero. It's input and output, just like adults.

Also, if a kid is *really* overweight he or she really may not be able to exercise effectively. It can be literally painful to run. He or she might not be able to physically climb a jungle gym. It's sad to see but I've seen kids that really can't play on the playground in an aerobic way. This sort of kid needs to start with walking, biking, swimming, and the like...but all is for naught if the kid continues to eat a terrible diet.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Also, on an academic note:

The prinicpal essentially suspending teaching of nutrition by a teacher is a BFD!!!

It's a bit as if a math teacher was told to stop teaching fractions until the principal OKs the lessons to continue!!! NOT a typical thing to happen in a school and a big red flag that something is wrong...wrong enough to merit shutting down the lesson plan.
    ing.
  • LesbianBicycle
    LesbianBicycle Posts: 9 Member
    >"having to eat nuts for dinner because she was out of calories" she's also completely clueless (nuts tending to be high in calories).

I thought the same thing. She could have had a 4oz chicken breast and green beans for the same calorie count as a handful of almonds lol