For those of you who aren't SUPER FIT-yep they are judging us.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    What a pair of Dicks!

I just wanted to ask about your kids age. Here, our gym wont accept anyone under 18 years old, is it different in America?
    Kids in my gym (and a lot of other's I've worked at) are allowed with a parent from 12-15 years old. At 16 they can work out, but have to have a parent sign off on a waiver.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had such a terrible experience. I have been lucky. I started lifting at the age of 51, well more than 20# overweight, and at first was just left alone, but now the regulars know I am serious, get nothing but consideration and kindness (and some teasing) from the other regulars. the guys know I take the sport seriously, but I don't take myself too seriously, which I think makes me fit in with even the young ones. I hope that it was an isolated incident, and your experiences improve.
  • mrstrod1
    mrstrod1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you are going to find judgers in any gym you go to. But you'll also find supporters in any gym too. The object (in my humble opinion) is to learn the difference and surround yourself with the positive influences while blocking out the negative influences. I mean, I'm way overweight and of course I think some people are going to be judging me - especially since I chose to join a crossfit gym where about 80% of the members seem to be under thirty. But I also think there are genuinely caring people who do not judge and offer support instead. I think of those judgers are the type of people who are negative about life in general and not people I would have as friends outside of the gym so why would I care what they do inside the gym?

The thing I always try to remind myself (and this goes for outside the gym too) is that I can only control my actions and reactions. I have no control over anyone else's. So, while I might have to deal with a hater - I don't have to respond with hate or negativity.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Could they not have just being trying to help at first?

Playing devils advocate they seemed to be concerned about you.