uncaring spouse

Options

Replies

• wanna_be_free
    wanna_be_free Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I never thought of that.. I'll do that now.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    yayabeaks wrote: »
    You're gorgeous! My ex was like that. It used to make me feel rubbish, then I realise I wasn't rubbish he was and binned him off.

This
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    your name says it all ! , Its not that hard , just get your plan in place first
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    What a jerk. Tell'em he can love it or leave it B)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to be miserable. Do what you think is best for you and your kids. Whether that means slowly saving up money to leave him or asking him to see a relationship counselor. Your instincts will tell you what is right.
  • lenalovestofish
    lenalovestofish Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thats horrible. Tell him to go F himself and find a real man who loves all of you.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    dylans1789 wrote: »
    tapwaters wrote: »
    Get a divorce?

Easier said than done

This is an excuse for allowing someone to treat you like cr@p. 7 years ago, I was married, had a 10 acre property, several horses, a couple of kids, a great group of friends (small country town), a financial dependency on my husband. Don't think for a second it didn't break my heart to sell my horses, move away from my friends, support myself financially (alimony is not a thing in Australia) and parent my children. But it was not impossible. The fear of doing it was the worst. Doing it was easy. Today, 7 years on I am in a relationship where I'm not lonely and depressed. My OH is my best friend. I'm happy (as happy as a parent of teens can be). I no longer have to feed the self loathing with food. It wasn't me, it was him.

My dad said to me when I was little, you only get one life - it's up to you what you make of it. This has stuck with me. Be bold, do the hard thing - or wake up one day when you're 70 and realise you wasted your life being miserable.

Not everyone has, resources to sell! Horses're expensive to buy so, you obviously left with; a good chunk of change!
  • king_laceyii
    king_laceyii Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have the two of you tried counseling?
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Get a divorce?

Easier said than done

This is an excuse for allowing someone to treat you like cr@p. 7 years ago, I was married, had a 10 acre property, several horses, a couple of kids, a great group of friends (small country town), a financial dependency on my husband. Don't think for a second it didn't break my heart to sell my horses, move away from my friends, support myself financially (alimony is not a thing in Australia) and parent my children. But it was not impossible. The fear of doing it was the worst. Doing it was easy. Today, 7 years on I am in a relationship where I'm not lonely and depressed. My OH is my best friend. I'm happy (as happy as a parent of teens can be). I no longer have to feed the self loathing with food. It wasn't me, it was him.

My dad said to me when I was little, you only get one life - it's up to you what you make of it. This has stuck with me. Be bold, do the hard thing - or wake up one day when you're 70 and realise you wasted your life being miserable.

Not everyone has, resources to sell! Horses're expensive to buy so, you obviously left with; a good chunk of change!

Yep. And don't forget the 10 acre property.

I didn't but I am not, sure whom; got that or if, it was sold & the, profits split but since she did indicate that she sold "my" horses she, most likely herself pocketed all of those profits since; the horses were solely hers!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Get a divorce?

Easier said than done

That must be so easy right. No.

It is more difficult to leave when financial assets are involved. It's actually a nightmare. To be honest, it may be easier if you don't have much. As long as you can line up a temp job and pack the things in haste, the logistics are much smaller.

But to be fair, it is difficult to leave the status quo in any situation. Takes a lot of courage and determination. Money and resources do not always translate towards higher resolve.

I agree but the poster that, she was responding to me concerning seemed to've this, holier than thou: "If I am able to, do it; you're also" as if she was entirely financially destitute when, clearly she wasn't especially; since the horses weren't a shared material asset! Which means, they were; quickly/easily sold!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is not true at all for the average horse, yeah you hear about those million dollar race horses and the fancy show horses in the media, but for your average backyard horse you'd be lucky to get $500 , most of the time they are being given away just to save someone the cost of feeding them. This is speaking from American standards, not sure if it is any different in Austrailia, but I find it very hard to believe she left with a nice chunk of change from selling horses. But to give you an idea, I have literally bought two perfectly sound horses for $1.00 before.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Get a divorce?

Easier said than done

That must be so easy right. No.

It is more difficult to leave when financial assets are involved. It's actually a nightmare. To be honest, it may be easier if you don't have much. As long as you can line up a temp job and pack the things in haste, the logistics are much smaller.

But to be fair, it is difficult to leave the status quo in any situation. Takes a lot of courage and determination. Money and resources do not always translate towards higher resolve.

I agree but the poster that, she was responding to me concerning seemed to've this, holier than thou: "If I am able to, do it; you're also" as if she was entirely financially destitute when, clearly she wasn't especially; since the horses weren't a shared material asset! Which means, they were; quickly/easily sold!
    Duchess, I see the point. But it may not really be holier than thou. During my old social activist days, we'd assist women who are in strife, esp. domestic abuse and inner city single moms - and some of our co-activists who actually ran the organization full time (I was a partime volunteer) were women who once left the same things behind and they often exhibit attitudes of tough love and get visibly volatile when the victims wallow in self-pity and never muster up the courage - because it is not scaleable to provide financial assistance forever unless the person uses it and emancipates herself.

A lot of people just stay because getting out of the status quo is scary to them.

Totally understandable but most of them leave with nothing she, seems to've at least left with; some finances!