For those of you who aren't SUPER FIT-yep they are judging us.

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A. That wasn't me.

B. I need to hurry up and get some weightlifting stuff with a squat rack in my house.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sorry you were dis'd at the gym. Please don't let them win and scare you away. Say something to management next time. They are just insecure if they are talking about you.

They only time I talked bad about someone at the gym was this guy who smelled so bad and had the fan blowing on him, toward the rest of us. He wore the same damn clothes every day and I don't think he ever washed them. It made working out very painful. I wanted to throw up every time he was there. I just moved to other equipment as far away from him as possible.

I don't give a crap what I look like when I do weights. I just hope to be able to do them. My friend who lifts with me was an Olympic level weight lifter and he pushes me while I squat with a bar only to this super low squat. I am so focused on my own lifting to give a *kitten* about anyone else.

You can do it. Never give up.

I started swimming again after a 14 year hiatus. I have done two swim meets since returning and I am sooooo slow. I don't give a crap that I am one of the slowest ones in the pool and that I need the ladder to get out. But I am getting faster each week. I have a new baseline at 47, with MS, after menopause, and 30 lbs heavier.

Set your own goals!

Someone at swim practice said to me that we are more fit than 75% of the population. Think about that when you are lifting next time and be proud!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    OP, you were the one there. If you fear for your safety, please find somewhere else for you or your kid to workout. Unless management takes this extremely seriously, it is not okay for anyone to get in your face and yell at you the way that man did. I know there's circumstances that make you think this is your only option, but you've got choices. I'm not in the same boat, but I've recently joined a gym where my preferred weight bearing class is constantly full. I explored another class involving bands and hand weights and I'm surprised how much stronger my core is. Much Easier to do push-ups, etc. You could look into any number of options available to you until you can find somewhere you're comfortable working out.

That said, it is not unheard of to have growing pains when you first join a gym. I pretty much hated this one when I first did my week long, but figured out some strategies (learning I was eligible for a free membership didn't hurt, either) and I pretty much absolutely love it now.

I agree with a previous post, please do not directly confront these kinds of jerks.
  • creepy_unicorn
    creepy_unicorn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eh ignore them. From my experience, I have found that people like that are rare. Most people at my gym are either supportive, or keep to themselves. We're all there to get fit after all.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you've had this experience at a gym - As you know, this pair is not representative of most gym goers who are happy to get on with their work outs without feeling that they have a priority or greater right to equipment.

Please don't let this stop you, or any of your family, from going to the gym because you know what's awesome? A family working out together.
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »

I'd be willing to bet that "super fit" people are judged at least as often as they judge others. This post is a case in point.

Please do expand your point?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'd be willing to bet that "super fit" people are judged at least as often as they judge others. This post is a case in point.

I think his point is pretty obvious?!?

Edit to fix quotes
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

You're pretty clearly judging the guy based solely on the OP's description. I thought that was obvious.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The 'roids must have attacked his brain. And the chick who thinks she's so cute...just wait until she has a kid and things don't bounce back the way she thought they would..

Don't let them get the best of you. I'm sure that hurt, but just put on your earbuds, turn the music up and ignore the haters. We were all newbies at some point (not saying you are now, but the ignorant muscle heads seem to forget that).