Reducing carbs significantly...help!?!

Options
I'm a carboholic that I believe needs to reform. I can't get this belly fat to go away, no matter how much I work out. And I know that over 50% of my diet is carbs. I think my digestive system is finally rebelling after 39 years. So....yesterday I made the decision (after long thought...) to cut about 90% of my carbs out. This is going to be a HUGE change for me, but a necessary one. I'm looking for anyone who would like to support me (warning...there WILL be whining involved...) and give me ideas for meals. Luckily my husband is all on board with this (he does the cooking) and is willing to try pretty much any recipe I put in front of him. Thanks all!

Replies

• dray351
    dray351 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Adkins for several months. I lost 15 in 2 weeks. I have now lost 40. I have done that off and on for 6 months. I just did counting calories for a couple weeks but I have no control. I am never hungry on the high protein, high fat, low carbs. Allow yourself about 25 to 30 carbs a day but only in vegetables. So you eat a good spinach salad with cheese bacon bits Ceasar dressing is lowest carbs. I started back on Saturday and have lost the 4 lb I gained. Go on line and see which veggies are lowest in carbs. You will feel like complete crap the first 10 days. Then you will never be hungry. Of course on low cal I dont have to be hungry just have to be eating all the time. I dont feel that way on this. Please eat your vegetables. You have to stop about once a month and try to add a fruit a day or something good. Then go back on it.
  • kittens2cute
    kittens2cute Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I log as accurately as I can. But I do know that carbs are a significant portion of my calories during the day and that needs to change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I log as accurately as I can. But I do know that carbs are a significant portion of my calories during the day and that needs to change.

Does it need to change because it causes you to over shoot your calorie goal? Are you hungry?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with cutting carbs, but you still need calorie control. Personally, i started by concentrating on protein and fiber. Now, I cycling low and high carb days based around my training requirements.
  • kittens2cute
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Does it need to change because it causes you to over shoot your calorie goal? Are you hungry?

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with cutting carbs, but you still need calorie control. Personally, i started by concentrating on protein and fiber. Now, I cycling low and high carb days based around my training requirements.

Yes it routinely makes me go over my calorie goal. And yes that is all on me and my portion control. I tend to be "all or nothing" when it comes to carbs. So I feel like if I cut most of them out and then slowly reintroduce as I need, I may learn how to do better with them.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yes it routinely makes me go over my calorie goal. And yes that is all on me and my portion control. I tend to be "all or nothing" when it comes to carbs. So I feel like if I cut most of them out and then slowly reintroduce as I need, I may learn how to do better with them.

Then it's definitely a good reason to cut. Increase proteins and fats, get your carbs from fibrous sources (low sugar fruits and veggie), and dairy. I am kind of the opposite of you, carbs satiate me... fats don't. I do very well with my carb days and struggle with my low carb days..
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

What kinds of things are you labeling as "carbs" though? Cookies......are carbs AND fat. Pizza.......is carbs, protein AND fat. You can eliminate THINGS from your diet to lose weight or you can reduce the overall calories.

Example: I eat pizza (now) with a side salad. Dinner is no longer an entire plate filled with just pizza. The salad helps reduce my calories. This also teaches me how to eat during maintenance.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hey! I can relate a lot.

I have done low-carb (keto) on and off for 5 years. When I allow myself to have full access to carbs, it ends very badly. I end up bingeing on carbs and not eating anything else. So keto works well for me.

Keto also has some great side effects like stable energy levels, less hunger, less bloating/gas.

There are a lot of food options. The staples are usually fresh meats and leafy green vegetables, with some dairy/nuts too.

A few of my favourite keto friendly foods: eggs, bacon, steak, chicken thighs, cream cheese, old cheddar cheese, almonds, heavy whipping cream, strawberries, blueberries, kale, spinach, lettuce, bunless burgers, green peppers, salami, tuna, mayo, butter.

You can make delicious keto desserts with ingredients like: almond flour, coconut flour, berries, cream cheese, whipped cream, erythritol, stevia.

Favourite dessert recipe site: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/
    Favourite recipe site: http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/

With a little creativity, you won't be missing carbs.

Good luck!
  • kittens2cute
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

What kinds of things are you labeling as "carbs" though? Cookies......are carbs AND fat. Pizza.......is carbs, protein AND fat. You can eliminate THINGS from your diet to lose weight or you can reduce the overall calories.

Example: I eat pizza (now) with a side salad. Dinner is no longer an entire plate filled with just pizza. The salad helps reduce my calories. This also teaches me how to eat during maintenance.

Carbs being: bread, chips, crackers, pizza, pasta, cereal, etc. When it comes to bread, I only eat whole grain or whole wheat.

And I know its impossible for me to cut out carbs 100% and honestly I don't want to. But I need to make a focused effort to cut it back significantly and focus more on protein, fruits, and veggies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think it might be helpful for you to figure out *why* carbohydrates are causing you to exceed your calorie goals.

Do you find that when you eat certain foods it's hard to limit your portion and you eat more than you intend to?

Are you regularly choosing certain types of foods due to impulse cravings and then go over your goals?

Are certain foods just not that filling for you so you have to snack more later due to hunger?

You can lose weight while having the majority of your calories be from carbohydrates (I did), but if certain foods are derailing your progress it does make sense to limit those or to form different habits.

• psuLemon
    Options

Carbs being: bread, chips, crackers, pizza, pasta, cereal, etc. When it comes to bread, I only eat whole grain or whole wheat.

And I know its impossible for me to cut out carbs 100% and honestly I don't want to. But I need to make a focused effort to cut it back significantly and focus more on protein, fruits, and veggies.

How does your protein and fiber look on a daily basis? I cut things like pasta, crackers, chips and most cereals out of my diet because it doesn't fill me up. I tend to focus more on rices/potatoes since they have greater impacts and increased proteins. But overall, my fats haven't changed. I just make better decisions around the types of carbs (more fruits, more fibrous carbs).
  • TeaBea
    Options

If you want to eliminate 90% of carbs, ditch the fruit too. Most veggies don't have near as many carbs.

Chips are carbs AND fat. Crackers are carbs AND fat. Pizza like my post above....are carbs, protein, AND fat. Going low carb for a time may help you "diet." But eventually (if you don't want to cut out pizza forever)......you will need to learn moderation.

I eat regular foods (I don't keep sugary cereals in the house).....breakfast is more protein focused now. I allow myself at least one treat everyday. It's typically a Ghiradelli dark chocolate square or an ice cream bar. Individually wrapped items helps me. Making my own pizza give me more control.

You want to learn modification, or you may need elimination forever. Unless you want to diet every few years (and lose the same pounds over and over) Been there, done that. No more elimination diets for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Fruits and vegetables ARE carbs. Fruits are one of the highest carb (by percentage) foods you can have (potatoes and grains have more protein comparatively).

But if you want to, I think it's a fine thing to try.

What I would do if trying to shift from over 50% carbs, though, is make a more measured change. Decide how much protein you want (1 g per lb of LBM or .8 of goal weight is a good goal), how much fat you want (and some good healthy sources of it like fatty fish, nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil, avocado, as well as the usual dairy and meat), and make sure every meal is full of low cal and higher fiber sources of carbs and micronutrients, like vegetables. Then see what your percentages are and what you have less. If you want to cut way back on cereal, bread, pasta (although for me pasta is always as much about lean meat and vegetables as the pasta itself, which bores me plain -- I tend to stick strictly to a serving or less of the pasta (noodles), and in many pasta dishes a lot of the calories are from fat), pizza (again more of the calories are from fat), and chips (again, half from fat), then maybe cut out these foods for a while and see where you fall. Even a balance like 40-30-30 might help you feel more satiated if you stick to good choices.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Most low-carb people on MFP hang out in this group! Request to join and you'll find lots of help there!

I've been very low carb for a year and half and absolutely love it.
  • brxtt
    brxtt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    going low carb (keto) played a big part in me losing 77 lbs. before that the weight was coming off, but much harder and at a slower pace. (not necessarily a bad thing). keep in mind that generally just cutting carbs creates a calorie deficit which, naturally, plays a huge part in weightloss. i recommend googling LCHF for food/meal ideas. and modifying according to what works for you. i, personally, have found that lots of carbs make losing/maintaining weight super difficult for me, but i'm no longer nearly as strict. you may also want to look into carb cycling. best of luck!
  • WeirdoTwo
    WeirdoTwo Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I definitely recommend doing some research on the ketogenic lifestyle. Great for diabetics too. Anybody on a high carb diet may find it difficult to lose the belly because carbs have an effect on insulin, and insulin has an effect on fat storage (diabetic or not). If you change your diet to make your body generate energy from fats instead of carbs, it should help with the excess stored fat. I'm not diabetic, but I've only been doing it for 6 weeks or so and I've lost 3-4 inches from around my hips/belly, and 7 from my waist. I do 20g of carbs a day. It's an adjustment. But you add more healthy fats and you stay healthy. Check it out. There are some people on YouTube that talk about it. Healthy Pursuits is one.
  • abowman0870
    abowman0870 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have had the most success with minimal effort on a low carb/keto diet. There are naysayers but I tell you it works for me and I have tried all types of diets for 20 years (calorie counting, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins (worked but had to stop because I got pregnant), Weight Watchers again, and again). I've been following LCD for 3 months and I have never been happier with a lifestyle change. Once you get the hang of it, it is effortless, the first week is hard as your body adjusts to the change but there are so many people on this site and other sites that can offer suggestions to combat the side effects. Good luck and I second anglyn1's suggestions.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    WeirdoTwo wrote: »
    I definitely recommend doing some research on the ketogenic lifestyle. Great for diabetics too. Anybody on a high carb diet may find it difficult to lose the belly because carbs have an effect on insulin, and insulin has an effect on fat storage (diabetic or not). If you change your diet to make your body generate energy from fats instead of carbs, it should help with the excess stored fat. I'm not diabetic, but I've only been doing it for 6 weeks or so and I've lost 3-4 inches from around my hips/belly, and 7 from my waist. I do 20g of carbs a day. It's an adjustment. But you add more healthy fats and you stay healthy. Check it out. There are some people on YouTube that talk about it. Healthy Pursuits is one.

"Belly fat" and low carbs.......no. You lost fat in the belly area first because of your genetics. Keto isn't magic for spot reduction. YouTube isn't a great reference for scientifically proven theories.

If there is a spot reduction diet for "pear shapes".....please let me know what that is.

It's also possible that you were carrying water weight.....low carb is great for water weight loss. Carbs are not something I'm going to give up forever.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I think you're describing a low-glycemic diet rather than a low-carb diet. Low-glycemic foods can have carbs in them, but they don't raise your blood sugar very quickly. Beans are a good example of that - they have a lot of carbs, but the carbs are available fairly slowly.

By the way, there are a number of good low-glycemic eating plans and with their emphasis on whole foods they tend to be pretty nutritious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WeirdoTwo wrote: »

This is a common misunderstanding. People think keto burns more body fat than non keto diets, but that's not true. They burn more fat (because they eat more fat) but not more body fat.

For example, compare someone with a TDEE of 2200 on a 1600 calorie diet that is 5% carbs (20 g), 25% protein (100 g), and 70% fat (about 124.5 g) v. someone with the same stats on a higher carb diet of 60% carbs (240 g), 25% protein (100 g), and 15% fat (about 26.5 g).

The first burns what they eat plus about 600 calories of body fat, so ends up burning about 20 g of carbs and 725 g of fat to fuel their activity (the muscle largely goes to repairing and replacing muscle and we will assume the person is effectively maximizing muscle maintenance through weight training and diet).

The second burns what they eat plus about 600 calories of body fat, so ends up burning about 240 g of carbs and 627 g of fat.

This idea that because you are burning fat you must be more effectively burning body fat is not based on anything real. Similarly, the idea that people who eat a more standard amount of carbs can't burn body fat (or continue to add it in a deficit) is basically made up and makes no sense.

What IS true, and makes keto a good idea for some is that some feel more satisfied or less hungry on a deficit (or maintenance) doing keto.

Often it's an unfair comparison, though, because a LOT of people with poor diets eat a high quantity of carbs AND fat -- indeed, many classic junk food or high cal items are high in both, like the aforementioned pizza, many pastas (alfredo, carbonara), chips, fries, cookies, cake, brownies, ice cream, many Starbucks frappucinos, etc. The problem with that, in addition to spending a lot of the diet on low nutrient, high cal items, is that it crowds out protein, which many find satiating, and whole food sources of carbs (and fiber) that many find satiating (vegetables, for many whole grains, potatoes, fruit). So people cut out the high fat, high carb foods, eat more protein and actually add a few vegetables, and claim that CARBS were the problem and that low carb is more filling.

For some, but for many I think eating a healthy diet with the same amount of protein and vegetables and so on and cutting way down on the junk food would have had the same effect even at 40-50% carbs. Indeed, lots of people seem to find a WFPB diet filling, although I do agree that people vary and this wouldn't work for anyone. (I did it for a while and found it unsatisfying longterm for other reasons, but I certainly was never hungry and accidentally ate quite low in calories.)