Friends suddenly unsupportive after losing a lot of weight?

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Not everyone deals well with change and since obesity is rampant many people are not accustomed to what actual healthy weight looks like...usually I just laugh and tell whoever that I have plenty of fluff left to lose...
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I think it's important what your relationship is with these people and what you want it to be. If it's a friend that you hope to keep and the comments seem to be coming from genuine concern, that would be handled one way. I'd want to thank them for their concerns but explain why they're wrong.

On the other hand, if the comments seem underhanded or the relationship isn't that important, that would be different.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress! Just keep doing you and let them know you have everything under control.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Pretty nasty on the friend's part.

Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I have noticed that those commenting that I have lost too much weight are people that are actually obese. I put it down to the fact that they have no idea of what healthy looks like. For the most part those that are most supportive and encouraging are those that are within a healthy weight range.

Those are the crabs that don't want you leaving the bucket. If you leave (by getting to and maintaining a healthy weight), it's evidence that they're fat because of their choices, not because of some externality they can't control. It makes them defensive and angry and they start attacking.

People who are a healthy weight have no need to worry about their bubble of denial bursting and no reason to be angry at someone who lost weight.

This crabs in a bucket mentality is likely the case. I'm sorry you have had that kind of hostility directed at you.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't think a male friend that messages you to tell you that you "look like an effing skeleton" is a friend; he isnt truly concerned that you have an eating disorder. I suspect there's more to that on his end.

Raises some red flags for me too. Feels a bit like negging.

• bluetrumpet01
    bluetrumpet01 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    eventually, after everyone gets used to your new look, it stops. i had to get stern with a few close friends that wouldn't lay off the "eat a sandwich" line. it's a mixture of concern and jealousy and people hating change. it does get better over time.

i started at 250ish, after i dropped below 220 the comments started. below 200 and even my mom was seriously freaking out and talking about me behind my back. by 180 it was full panic mode. now i've been at 160 for a few months and the comments finally stopped. i'm kind of dreading the final push to get to my target race weight of 150 (i do triathlon competitively now) because I know the comments will start up again
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    My favorite that I've gotten: when you talk about your weight loss (always only after being asked) you make me feel bad about myself. She then went on to say that my success actively hurts her feelings and that I make her feel fat -- just because I've successfully lost weight.

That person sounds awful. I'm sorry you are dealing with that, hopefully you are just writing it off. You should be proud of your hard work and her insecurities are something she needs to worry about, not you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You flexed your muscles and took charge - good for you!

The vast majority cannot accept that they are in charge of their lives and willingly embrace the victim role. You did not. You are now at odds with their perception of reality. Either you took charge of your life and made positive changes or life's lottery placed a new victim role on you. They cannot accept that you could take charge of your life, because this would mean that they could do the same.

Best thing in the world is to prove the naysayers wrong.
  • mehlerscasada
    mehlerscasada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honestly they're probably just shocked/jealous of your newfound health. Women (especially) can be really vindictive when they see another as a threat. I'm not sure why we're like that, but it's something I've seen a lot, particularly at an all-girl's school.