Foods you've grown up with, trying to give up

Options

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    A big glass of cold milk. I miss it so much but I can't justify drinking that many calories
  • Mommy_Sans_The_Fat
    Options
    pizza and chinese food.
  • kellydharriso
    Options
    Mac and cheese! It was served with almost every meal I ate as a child and it's sooooo hard to give it up. I am also having trouble with cravings for cheetos puffs (my favorite since I was a baby)
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Chicken fingers all day when I was little.. I mean I've pretty much given up going out to eat for the most part anyway, but those would kill me now. Oh, and Doritos.. which I have not indulged myself in for a LONG time. Eating one, you haaaaave to have to whole bag!
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    While I will totally never really give it up, white jasmine rice. I went from eating it almost everyday to maybe once a week! :) If I have a cheat meal, it involves white jasmine rice!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    White bread - love it.

Kool-aide and iced tea. (I'm in Canada, iced tea is full sugar super sweet goodness)
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My hard to give up food is just fast food in general. I am trying to make healthier choices but my hubby loves fast food and we eat out frequently. I have learned to watch my portion sizes though and go for a salad at mcdonald's instead of a big mac and fries.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    White rice - finally switched to brown.

White bread - bought my first loaf of 100% wheat today D: Nothing tastes as awesome as white bread.
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    Hamburger Helper, mac and cheese, Little Debbie snacks.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hamburger Helper, mac and cheese, Little Debbie snacks.

Yes Little Debbie snacks, I forgot about that one. I don't buy them at all, but when I go to my Mom's she sometimes has them for my little brother and I will indulge.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My homemade Mac and Cheese.... I make it for my family once week but I never eat it with them :-( although I do always sneak a bite.... hey I have to make sure it tastes good LOL
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea. If I was drinking something, 95% of the time, it was sweet tea. I used to go through a gallon in 2 days just at home, not counting any meals I ate out. I especially love Chickfila Tea. Whenever we went to the mall, (maybe once a week since they have a pretty awesome indoor playground for my daughter) I'd get a large CFA tea then get it refilled 2 or 3 times.

Now I'll get tea about once a week and get 75% unsweet then top it off with sweet. I don't make it at home anymore.
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    homeade flour tortillas every time i make them for the hubby i like to smell the fresh batch lol
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Brownies.

When I first started dieting it was biscuits and chocolate that was hard. Now I often manage chocolate as I allow for it with my calories, but I've also since been diagnosed celiac, so now I really CAN'T eat a lot of things. I'm missing cake and pastry etc - not that I'd have eaten much anyway, but the fact I'm NOT ALLOWED is the killer. Not even a nibble. And before anyone suggests a gluten free alternative.... go try one first! Haha. And honestly, if all I want is a McVities Choc Digestive, no other biscuit can fill that gap!!!!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a Southern cuisine once summarized by a Hindu coworker as "beans with hog, greens with hog, hog with hog, and cornbread... with hog?" He was talking about our workplace cafeteria, but he could have been talking about my mom's cooking. I miss all of it.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Kraft dinner (macaroni and cheese) with hotdog meatballs (cut up hotdogs).... not going to lie, I still eat this sometimes.
  • bluecutipy
    bluecutipy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I grew up on white rice too. But the way m family makes it with a lot of butter milk and sugar. I know it sounds weird but it is soooo good and hard for me to give up. I'm just glad I never learned how to make it lol
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    REAL fried chicken...none of that crap you get at restaurants. The kind Mom made...a glob of Crisco in a cast iron skillet, coated with flour, lots of salt and pepper. Even better when it's cold!!
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    I really haven't given anything up, as I allow myself whatever I want once a week.
    But not being able to just go get chicken nuggets & fries from McDonalds whenever I want has been hard for me! Even with the cheat day.
    Ugh see I thought about it and now I want it, lol. Guess I'll be having that on my cheat day (Monday) for sure now!
  • theSidekicks
    theSidekicks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    McDonalds. At least three times a week, every week. Its hard to go from french fries to healthy foods- especially when I live at home during the summer and my family eats like that.