Looking for support while trying to get healthy dealing with depression

Options
Hi
Ive gained 35lbs this year during a very debilitating episode of depression. Is there anyone out there who has managed to exercise and get healthy while struggling with mental illness?

Thanks!

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You know what? I've just posted about having anxiety/health issues after wondering if anyone else is felt the same. I haven't put weigh on, my appetite if anything is less than usual, and so by continuing pushing myself to keep up with my new gym programme I feel quite unwell both mentally & physically.

Motivationally I want to do these things but as you probably know all too well, the get up & go has got up and gone!
  • Stellarstell
    Stellarstell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and depression. I had a follow up with my Dr today and we talked about my weight. I need to start losing or I'm going to have a heart attack. It's still sinking in.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Happens with me every autumn and winter. I do wish it would lift a little sometimes .
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and depression. I had a follow up with my Dr today and we talked about my weight. I need to start losing or I'm going to have a heart attack. It's still sinking in.

@Stellarstell losing weight / becoming a healthier you will not only help your cardiovascular system but also your depression. Yes exercise releases dopamine/endorphins post work-out because you put your body through "stress" a healthy amount of stress therefore as a self-defense our bodies release these hormones.

Trust me. I'm on the same boat as everyone. Maybe a bit more severe (I have a whole lotta other mental illnesses aside from Dep/Anx) that I have to deal with & everyday is a struggle. HOWEVER ITS ALL A STATE OF MIND. yes I get sad and depressed & don't want to get out & go but I know I can't just sit there & dwell. I have to move and do something. I know I have an illness I know I have a choice to just let my illness get the best of me or fight. We're all little warriors. We're all fighting this horrible battle however trust me we got this! Exercising & eating healthy will only get us better.

I'm off all of my meds & feeling better then ever.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had post natal depression 3 years ago and now it's just normal depression that I can't quite shift!
    But exercising, especially when I really don't want to helps me a lot!
    Sometimes if I'm on the sofa and don't want to move I put YouTube on and play an exercise video. It makes me want to move
    And then before I know it I'm jumping around the lounge like a potato and I feel so much better after

I'm starting to use exercise as medication!

My favourite quote is "I feel really bad after that exercise... said no one ever."
  • sandiikat
    Options
    My dogs help, before we got them I would sleep the entire day and not leave the bed or even eat if it meant getting out of bed. After we got our first dog it gave me a reason that I had to get out of bed no matter what, to take him out to potty. He had so much energy that if I didn't walk him he would cause trouble. Now even on the worst of days I just force myself to do a few laps with the pups, and usually it leads to a full walk... sometimes it doesn't, but at least I get out for a little bit.

I find it much easier to eat healthy with my anxiety and depression because it doesn't involve any motivation. I only buy unprocessed foods and since I don't like to leave the house, or even talk to a delivery man, those are my only options.

I have found that if I turn on loud upbeat music it can boost my energy enough to do a work out or get the chores done.

It makes me sad to see how many of us are battling this painful mental illness, my heart goes out to you all. I do agree with others, the exercise makes me feel better, though it's very temporary. I read somewhere that the research shows the "euphoria" comes after 20 minutes of physical activity, so that's what I try to aim for.

Okay I really enjoyed your post until you gave out false I formation regarding exercise is only a "temporary" fix for mental health. Yeah your endorphins may have a fixed schedule but the effect of fitness are far more than just endorphins. Healthy body healthy mind. Just to jot down some effects (which I can provide sources for)
    1 improved confidence
    2 reducing immune system chemical
    3 taking your mind off worries
    4 more social interaction
    5 coping in a healthy way (food vs weights)

There are far more. Sorry I just had to correct that.

BUT YES DOGS & PETS ARE WONDERFUL. I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. Dogs do give you an excuse to go outside & feel/see the beautiful world/air outside. So yes go get a doggy guys. Plus give la you a fro get some extra steps.
  • rebruce449
    rebruce449 Posts: 23 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love reading the posts, I'm not alone. I have been trying to eat healthy and the exercise thing is still an issue, although my house is clean! I consider that a win. Today my goal is a walk, I know that exercise helps I have no idea why I don't do it, I have no excuses.

Eliminating meds is just not an option, for those that have done it I wonder how biologically it is possible?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    sandiikat wrote: »
    My dogs help, before we got them I would sleep the entire day and not leave the bed or even eat if it meant getting out of bed. After we got our first dog it gave me a reason that I had to get out of bed no matter what, to take him out to potty. He had so much energy that if I didn't walk him he would cause trouble. Now even on the worst of days I just force myself to do a few laps with the pups, and usually it leads to a full walk... sometimes it doesn't, but at least I get out for a little bit.

I find it much easier to eat healthy with my anxiety and depression because it doesn't involve any motivation. I only buy unprocessed foods and since I don't like to leave the house, or even talk to a delivery man, those are my only options.

I have found that if I turn on loud upbeat music it can boost my energy enough to do a work out or get the chores done.

It makes me sad to see how many of us are battling this painful mental illness, my heart goes out to you all. I do agree with others, the exercise makes me feel better, though it's very temporary. I read somewhere that the research shows the "euphoria" comes after 20 minutes of physical activity, so that's what I try to aim for.

Okay I really enjoyed your post until you gave out false I formation regarding exercise is only a "temporary" fix for mental health. Yeah your endorphins may have a fixed schedule but the effect of fitness are far more than just endorphins. Healthy body healthy mind. Just to jot down some effects (which I can provide sources for)
    1 improved confidence

BUT YES DOGS & PETS ARE WONDERFUL. I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. Dogs do give you an excuse to go outside & feel/see the beautiful world/air outside. So yes go get a doggy guys. Plus give la you a fro get some extra steps.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't saying that the exercise is only a temporary fix, I'm saying that I personally from the amount I am doing at the moment I only feel better temporarily.

I am very aware of the long term benefits of consistent physical activity for mental health. I can see how that was confusing, I wasn't trying to say that over all it's temporary or that it doesn't do more for depression and anxiety.

I was not in any way trying to state that these were the only benefits scientifically for depression and anxiety... only talking about how I am feeling.

I am sorry for the confusion.
  • claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rebruce449 wrote: »
    I love reading the posts, I'm not alone. I have been trying to eat healthy and the exercise thing is still an issue, although my house is clean! I consider that a win. Today my goal is a walk, I know that exercise helps I have no idea why I don't do it, I have no excuses.

Eliminating meds is just not an option, for those that have done it I wonder how biologically it is possible?

I suppose I was only subclinical-hypothyroid (which could have caused the little depression) so it was probably an easier target for my body to rebalance.

I'm a firm believer in the power of the mind (I'm sure we've all heard testimonies of people who were given X months to live and ended up living for years simply because they thought positively and fought ahead). It's biblical too as it says in the Bible that "a cheerful heart brings good healing, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones". :) And depression (a form of a "crushed spirit") can really wreck havoc. So CHOOSE to be joyful. Even if it's in the simplest of things, get a book and write just ONE thing you're thankful for. Even if it's something that seems "lame" like "that my toothbrush is in my favorite colour". Make it a discipline and soon you'll see how many things you are actually blessed with!

In my get-off-meds (note that these were indirect meds) journey I basically focused on 1) choosing happier thoughts (and engaging in healthy activities that help with it), 2) changing my diet, 3) regulating my sleep and ensuring I get enough of it, 4) exercise.
  • claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mental illness is not as big a beast as the world paints it. It's important to recognize it and really spend time to deal with the root issues (which are often painful or bring a lot of hurt and anger), but with some willpower and discipline, and a thankful heart, you will slowly realize that you're a lot bigger and stronger than you think! You're bigger than this "beast". I highly encourage everyone to get out for a walk or just do some healthy activity that you enjoy (even if it's knitting, go for a walk, sit on a bench at the park and knit away!).
  • sandiikat
    Options
    sandiikat wrote: »

1 improved confidence

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't saying that the exercise is only a temporary fix, I'm saying that I personally from the amount I am doing at the moment I only feel better temporarily.

I am very aware of the long term benefits of consistent physical activity for mental health. I can see how that was confusing, I wasn't trying to say that over all it's temporary or that it doesn't do more for depression and anxiety.

I was not in any way trying to state that these were the only benefits scientifically for depression and anxiety... only talking about how I am feeling.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Lol no worries, I just read that & was like WHOA! Lol. I see what you're saying. I hope you feel better though. That must be terrible. :( Have you tried yoga or meditation alondside with exercising. Also, do you weight train? Just from personal experiences I feel like weight training helped more with my dep-anx. Just curious.

I hope I didn't come off abrasive! :(

• sandiikat
    Options
    rebruce449 wrote: »

I suppose I was only subclinical-hypothyroid (which could have caused the little depression) so it was probably an easier target for my body to rebalance.

I'm a firm believer in the power of the mind (I'm sure we've all heard testimonies of people who were given X months to live and ended up living for years simply because they thought positively and fought ahead). It's biblical too as it says in the Bible that "a cheerful heart brings good healing, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones". :) And depression (a form of a "crushed spirit") can really wreck havoc. So CHOOSE to be joyful. Even if it's in the simplest of things, get a book and write just ONE thing you're thankful for. Even if it's something that seems "lame" like "that my toothbrush is in my favorite colour". Make it a discipline and soon you'll see how many things you are actually blessed with!

In my get-off-meds (note that these were indirect meds) journey I basically focused on 1) choosing happier thoughts (and engaging in healthy activities that help with it), 2) changing my diet, 3) regulating my sleep and ensuring I get enough of it, 4) exercise.

GUYS YES! THIS IS THE MENTALITY TO HAVE! :)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @sandiikat thank you, I do yoga and weight training on the days when I feel any good energy at all. Im trying to make them more of a habit, but it's difficult. Thank you so much for the insight, that's great you have found some things that help you. That gives me hope.
  • angelelee000
    angelelee000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yoga yoga yoga my obgyn had suggested this to me for my exersie but only when i feel down i have depression to alot of things moving in my life things taken away so quickly and also the being a teenager part lol but she ssays that if you do yoga when you feel depressed down lazy weak tired do a begginers yoga for 10 to 15 min and it should give you wake up get moving mood i love it so much i dont feel down all the time its easy