Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    @Evamutt It's a rough transition to eating at a calorie deficit no matter when you eat. Do you mind me asking what your calorie goal is at? It might be worth reducing your deficit for awhile until your body gets used to the new eating times/lower caloric numbers

@ShyCush6 Saying no to pie and ice cream is hard, especially if you were hungry! You do a great job of balancing temptations in your household

@jdelaroy Sorry to hear about your spat with the significant other and your extended work day. Having to spend that many hours in the car and missing your workout really stinks. I hope you're able to carve out some time for yourself today.

The SO and I had a date night at home last night and watched Legion and Iron Fist. Legion is absolutely amazing if you haven't checked it out yet (Iron Fist was just okay). I was absolutely starving yesterday and I'm not sure why. I allowed myself to have an extra bowl of oatmeal with protein powder so that I wouldn't dive into the Easter candy and it seemed to tide me over. I feel like my body has been really fighting against any caloric deficit lately, which stinks because I'm at the higher end of where I'd like to be. I'm hoping once it finally gets warmer my extra walks/activity will help me get back to it.

This morning I woke up naturally before my alarm but it was too cold to walk outside so I tried a walk at home video. It was not as bad as I expected it to be and I actually got a decent low impact workout. Color me shocked! I might have to incorporate those more in the winter when my activity options are more limited and I start getting sick of yoga. I hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    @ShyCush6 Great NSV! My guy likes to snack all night in the evening, gummy bears, worms, twinkies, pudding... you get the idea. I try to leave some extra calories, so I can snack a little with him.

@evamutt it is so hard to change habits, and if they are habits you have had for life it makes it that much harder. You can do it though.

@429jules No Problem. I find that pre planning meals tends to help me. I try to leave a little room at the end of the day for a snack.

@rachel0778 It sucked. By time I got home I was less that half way on my step goal for the day. Plus the BF was still being a butt. I love your at home date nights. I wish I could do that. but the Mom won't go to bed until her son does. So leaves no alone time for us at all.

Well I ended up being out of the house for 15 hours yesterday. Didn't take a lunch so was way behind. I didn't feel like cooking, so stopped at McDonald's I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, and stuff for the kids. Got to the window and went through the bag, they forgot my sandwich. I let them know, they took the bag, and brought it back and said, oh yea we forgot it. It's in there now. I didn't double check. Got home, and it was still not there. Ended up eating crackers, salami and cream cheese. BF was still being a grump, so I went and walked in the backyard until it was too dark, then walked in the living room until I reached my step goal.

This morning hasn't started off much better. I got to work, and spilled my Chi Tea all over the floor. I didn't even get a drink. Then I spilled water. Argh. Hope today gets better.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Jen - really hope your day (and week) improves from here. I know it's easy to say but really sounds like the mother needs some boundaries applied to her - makes it impossible to get quality time together otherwise.

Rachel - I must look into walk at home videos - it might be what I need for my winter working from home days when I struggle to get my step count up. I'm hoping the arrival of spring helps me get on with some other exercise options - I feel like I've spent the last 3 months hibernating!

Shy - blueberry pie and ice cream? That's just cruel! Well done for resisting it, I'm not sure I would have had the will power.

Seriously worried about my ability to stay within calories today - I'm a bit up against it with the supper that we have planned but I'm figuring that half the battle will be logging it which I have done in advance. Nothing exciting to report - I'm currently in the office battling to get my e-mail inbox under control!
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Maybe this doesn't belong in this thread, but is there somewhere to get a comparison for your net calorie consumption just like the exercise diary has for your daily and weekly exercise goals vs completed? It's a nice little snapshot - I'd be interested in seeing a comparison just like that for the food. I realize you can probably get the same information from the reports, but you have to add that up manually. Haha.
  • Emma_ExpatinItaly
    Emma_ExpatinItaly Posts: 3 Member
    Would also love to be part of the group. I am an Australian expat living in Milan Italy. Each day I walk past several pizza joints, the fresh pasta shop, the pastry man, numerous gelato and dessert stops, and finally, more pizza joints. Hold. Me. Baaaack. My motivation comes in waves in flows, and unfortunately I am one of these people who is all or nothing. For several months I will limit myself to 1200 calories and gym it most days. Then one day I wake up and decide to go into sloth mode. This includes no gym and every item of food I have been missing. Then I feel guilty. Then I continue in sloth mode for a little while longer feeling annoyed at myself. Then I go back into 'I am a health god' once more. And repeat. I have to find that happy medium where it isn't all or nothing, perhaps I can be a gym going sloth! I just need to keep motivated and positive, especially during a plateau xx
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    At 1 lb/week its 1260, I put it to 1/2 lb/week for a while & it gave me 15something. on the TDEE site, it gives me 1415 /day, so I've been trying to go with the 1415. Thing is, in the past, I never snacked, just ate 2 meals/day. I do make a fruit/veggie smoothie in the morning since I started mfp & I really DO feel better. Maybe I'll do the smoothie & twice a day eating for a while & see if that would be better for me. When I eat snack in evening, it's really hard to stop. I have 20-25 lbs to go & i really want to get there.
  • Evamutt
    I have about 550 cal for the rest of the day. I'm going to eat that for dinner today instead of spreading it out & see. I jogged at dog park today. I do go to the gym too, but my back injury caused me not to go for almost a month. I'm fine now & have been going twice a week to a class I like but I need to go in between.
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Eva: It’s good you know your body and can eat the way that works for you!! Enjoy the movie!!

Rachel: Way to get in a workout this morning… Always nice to have a variety! And great job knowing you needed something but choice healthy instead of Easter Candy! Yikes! Easter has like the best candy!!

Jdelaroy: Sorry you had a rough couple days! Hopefully it gets better soon! I have said no to snacking after 6pm… I never choose good options at that point, so I try really hard to drink water and get past cravings… That damn pie and ice cream is really hard to avoid some times though!! And he clinks his spoon to get every last drop… drives me crazy!! Not to mention my dog leaves me and is by his side until he is done and she gets little lick!I agree with Jane… MIL needs to supply ample couple time for you all. You need a date night or something… Way to get your steps in!!

Janetay: I don’t think I will ever win that email battle… Drives me crazy! Last piece of pie will probably annoy the hell out of me tonight!

Emma: Welcome! Post often! Your sloth/health God sounds pretty normal… Hard to find a perefect balance!

So last night was more of the same. Worked way later than expected. So went straight home. Had dinner with the hubs… Then I went to the basement elliptical… nothing exciting. He got out the damn pie and ice cream and I was annoyed. LOL! That’s my night! There is one more piece left!! Got into chocolate and peanut butter today.. ugh.. not too bad… but damn it!
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    So I have been eating crappy and no excercise so far this wk. Cassidy started feeling better fri and sat and then worse again on Sunday. Monday morning when I got up for work her temp was back up to 104.4. So I went to work and dr couldn't get her in so off to hospital. Was there 6 hrs. She has now tested positive for the other strain of influenza and for strep throat. Then around 10:30 hubby wakes me up. And back to the er for him and his kidney stone. Finally passed it thank god. He is a bigger baby then any of them. Still haven't caught up on feeling rested. This wk is ahot
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    @jdelaroy You were having quite the day yesterday! I hope today is going better. For date nights, do you have a TV in your room? If not I recommend investing ;) That could be an easy way to shut his mother out to have one-on-one time.

@ngolden3320 Your week sounds awful. I'm so glad Cassidy and your husband are both on the mend. Hopefully now you can focus on your own self care too because your health is equally as important!

@Evamutt 1415/day sounds more like a BMR (basal metabolic rate) than your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Since your BMR is how many calories your body needs if it was in a coma, that probably explains part of why you're hungry a lot of the time. Maybe consider bumping your daily intake up a bit? It will lead to slower weight loss, but it will be easier to stick with long term

@Emma_ExpatinItaly Welcome! 1200 is a pretty low number, which is likely why it's so hard to stick with! Have you calculated out your TDEE and BMR? (see info above I wrote to EvaMutt). Working with those numbers and incorporating some of that delicious Italian food will likely make your plan a lot more livable for the long term!

@kasey39 Under reports you should be able to see weekly/daily/monthly views of your net calories. I find reports easier to work with/view on my mobile device vs. the computer

@janetay01 The one I tried was called Walk away the Pounds on youtube if you want to give it a shot. Were you able to pre-log everything and make it work?

I hate that it's only Thursday and not Friday. This week has seemed extra long and I've been extra hungry :/ Yesterday I was able to stick with my goal but only because I had to leave the house for dance class. I was the only one who showed up so it was like personal training! Tonight is derby and I'm just not looking forward to it. Now that our trainer is leaving it feels like our team has thinned out and I just have a feeling we are going to disband after summer because we have no plan in place to replace her. I hate that all of the cool sports I find locally end up disbanding right after I join them. Seriously, am I cursed? I keep trying to think of a new option for if derby ends and I'm coming up with nothing which means I'll have to join a regular gym again (ugh).
  • ShyCush6
    Nicole: So sorry… sounds like a rough week… Hopefully you can get caught up and rested! And prayers everyone gets feeling good again. How awful and scary… high temps are nothing to kid about!

Rachel: Awesome about dance.. way to get in personal trainer time! Nice!! Hopefully things pan out for derby. It sounds so fun and with a large group, someone may step up and get a new trainer. Fingers crossed…

Since I will be MIA this weekend… I have off tomorrow… I wanted to check in today.
    So I am assuming I am burning a good 200 calories a night steaming about the pie and ice cream… Cause I am down 2 lbs this week! YAY! Total of 11.5 since the 1st of the year. Nothing extreme but I will take it! I did embrace the pie and ice cream last night and got a funny photo of Bentley begging for some! LOL! Got stuck at work late again last night… GRRRR! So I went home… hubby had to go to his mom’s and watch his dad so no cooking… so frozen pizza night… frustrating… Looking forward to a great weekend though! Getting off early today.. picking Lexi up from Culver’s work orientation. Thinking about getting mani’s… something fun for spring break since I’ve been working and she’s had soccer practice for most of it. Then hitting the gym if she is up for it! Tomorrow we are off to LaCrosse to see my aunt. She isn’t doing the best. She had pancreas cancer and is now cancer free but the chemicals just messed her up. Plus she is almost 80 and that happens… Then meeting up with my best friend and her daughter for some fun on the town. Then meeting a huge group from my hometown for dinner, swimming at the hotel and watching the Badger game!! Woot! Woot! Go Badgers!! On Sat. the boys from the group play state basketball… Lexi’s lil “friend” will be playing and I’m excited to spend some time with his family! Then Sunday is up in the air… either heading to the water park or heading home as the parents will be getting back from a two week trip down south. So busy weekend!! I will try to behave! It will be harder eating out most of the weekend, but Lexi loves Subway… so that will be a go to… ;) Have a wonderful weekend!!
  • ShyCush6
  • PhedraJD
    @janetay01 Thanks. MIL has dementia, and is super lonely. We have a hard time getting her to remember to do anything, and would really have no clue about boundaries. We do, take at least 1 night just the two of us to go roller skating. That helps some. How did your fight with calories go? I hate my email box as well. Although I usually do an okay job keeping up on it. Now my desk looks like WW2 hit, and it drives me nuts.

@kasey39 It's fine to ask her. Unfortunately, I have no clue. Sorry :(

@Emma_ExpatinItaly Oh wow, that would be hard to resist all that yummy food. I am a little envious of where you live. One of these days I will get to come visit.

@evamutt good luck figuring out what works best for you.

@ShyCush6 I think I would want to kill hubby if he did that to me. Damn pie! Great job embracing it last night. Sounds like a busy and fun weekend. I am jealous! 2 pounds, and 11.6 since January is fantastic!

@ngolden3320 Man you are having a rough week. Hugs, hang in there. Glad hubby passed his stone. Now to just get your baby on the mend.

@rachel0778 We do roller skating on Thursdays, I love it, but not very intimate. No TV in the room. He would just fall asleep watching it if we did. He does that already in the living room. My day actually got much better after the rough start, and today is starting out pretty well. Good job staying on calories. It doesn't matter how you did it.
    Check with a local skating rink. The ones here have skate clubs that you could join.

My day improved tremendously. The boss, lightened up on some stuff. I had to run to the bank, so replaced my tea while out. The BF was behaving, and being kind of sweet. I got a run in at lunch and a walk after school. Then the BF cooked dinner (It was his night) No fighting last night, so bonus! I have spent almost all of this week in Onederland, made a brief one day trip here in February and bounced right back up. I have also been very hungry all week. I have been feeding the hunger with water. I did have way too much sweet stuff last night, but was still under my calories. :) Roller Skating tonight!

• kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2017
    Holy sodium!! I hadn't been tracking sodium because I was focusing on other things, but when I switched it to start tracking it today, discovered I'm doubling, some days even tripling my recommended sodium intake. There might be part of my problem! Even when I'm 300 net calories under my goal, and way under in the sugars, I'm way over in the sodium. Well, it was nice having soup for lunch. Now I need to find something filling (THAT TASTES GOOD!!) that's a little lower in the sodium. That alone seemed to be the biggest offender. I already knew it was really high, just didn't realize how much, and how much compared to my goals since I was focused in other areas. Oy! The pains of being a Doritos girl vs a chocolate girl! Never enjoyed sweets as much as the salty foods. Guess I need to figure something out there! Bye, bye Progresso!!
  • PhedraJD
    @kasey39 Try the low sodium versions, or make your own soup. If you look in the food section there are a lot of great recipes for soup.
  • Evamutt
    Today I divided my daily calories up into smoothie or quest bar,P&J for afternoon snack & rest for lunch & mainly dinner. see how it goes. I have 1380 cal/day
  • Evamutt
    Kasey39, I started using chicken broth with no sodium to make soup. I make chicken soup a lot. I add my own salt. I used to use the boullion cubes but too much sodium
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    I was just about to say "Happy Friday everyone"!! Sadly, I realized it's still Thursday! LOL!

Shy! GO BADGERS! Sounds like you have an epic weekend on the horizon! You are going to do great. Just keep drinking the water in between the boozy drinks, and try your best not to snack on junk. I think we can do well with the healthy choices for dinner, but sit us in front of a bowl of cheesy poofs and Houston, we have a problem! :wink:
    You are doing great, 11 lbs down since January, you are killing it girl! Keep up the good work, you are my inspiration!

Kasey - welcome to the group! I'm up the 4 lbs I lost, so don't feel bad about the 5 lbs up! It will get lost again. Good thing you are paying attention to the sodium intake. I think fresh and homemade is the best way to limit your sodium. sometimes I think of it like eating very simply, like one ingredient foods. One of our fav healthy dinners is yam, with roasted brussel sprouts and salmon. The more ingredients, the more sodium and sugar and junk gets put into it. Good luck! I'm right there with you with the love of salt, because I'm allergic to chocolate!

Rachel - Beauty and the Beast was worth it to see in the theatres (but I am a Disney fan). have you seen the live action Cinderella? It was really good too. I'm also eating a lot of frozen foods lately, I decided we should try to clean out our freezer, to get through all that comfort food stashed away in there. Gotta make way for salads and bbq'ing - spring is here! I hear you about the long week - I just thought it was Friday! I will try to think of something else you could do in case your group gets disbanded. Maybe we could come up with something that you could start! Then it won't disband!

Jen - Glad that things have simmered a bit at home, that was a rough go. I love my chai tea lattes, and if I dumped mine, I would go back and get a replacement too! I love that you are roller skating so much! Jealous! I grew up roller skating, but they tore down the rink and it is now movie theatres and a pub. :( I was thinking along the same lines as Rachel, but thinking can you get your MIL a tv in HER room? Then she could watch it, and you could live in your house in peace!

Emma - welcome! How lucky are you to be living around all of that amazing food! But yes, that does put a damper on balancing a healthy lifestyle when there is cheese and bread and gelato around every corner. Talk about test of will power every minute of the day!

Eva - I had tried to lower my cals to 1200-1300 and it was just too low. I could do it for a few days, then would lose it and eat way over. It was unsustainable for me. I'm at 1600 now, and honestly sometimes I think that is way too low! (But I love food). No snacking in the evening works best for me - have to tell myself "no, the kitchen is closed!"

Nic - your week did sound like a hot mess with everyone sick and in the emerg and no gym! Hope things have settled. My week was a hot mess too, but only because I was wallowing in a small pity party. Ate too much, and didn't really make it to the gym either! Glad that is over!!
  • bluepoppies777
    gf4k0nga1gg9.jpg

Today, it's definitely the biscuits!! LOL
  • bluepoppies777
    xotvezhii4by.jpg

Shyanne, this looks suspiciously like pie and ice cream!!! :D