"I can't eat all my calories omg what do"

Options

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    They drive me mental as well. It's like a psychological thing, I think - people try and kid themselves that they are suddenly light skinny gazelles who can't possible eat more than 1000 calories.

Yeah right.

So... if someone who used to eat 4000 calories manages to 'kid themselves' in this way so successfully that now they actually can't eat more than 1000 calories, you think that is a bad thing... why?
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably low fat diets. I'd probably eat 800 calories if I cut out all this delicious fat.

Nah, I did high carb (fiber), low fat because I'm a vegetarian and it's easier for me than some of the alternatives. I am in maintenance now and basically following the same diet, with a bit more fat added back in. Even as a small-framed 5'5" woman, I have no trouble hitting 2200-2300 calories per day. Or 2500-2700 on Fridays when I go out to eat. (I do a lot of cardio.)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    subcounter wrote: »
    When you eat clean foods 1200 calories can be a lot.

Awkward moment when my dinner calories were 1500+ calories, and its all clean :smiley:

I mean each to his/her own but seriously, somedays I eat 3800 calories depending on how heavy I workout, and never thought it was difficult to fill it. I get it with people that has been skinny all their lives and hates food though, not so much with others.

Not awkward at all. You're likely eating a lot of fat too. But if you aren't and you take the lean protein, and veggies route as many do starting out then 1200 calories can be a lot. I used to to do this diet when cutting weight for rowing and I was seriously stuffed.

This is a sample of my dinner from yesterday, Korean Dak Galbi I've made :smile: I had to keep potato a bit on the low side as I didn't have calories to spare this time, I am cutting right now.
    Each to their own though I mean, my aunt hates food, and I can't imagine her eating 1/5th of what I eat.
    7bwsttgndztx.png

That's TWENTY OUNCES OF CHICKEN AT ONE SITTING. Are you insane? Not everybody sits down and eats five servings of chicken. Or any chicken.

if they have specific protein goal they may....at 2200 cal a day, I can easily eat 13-14g between lunch/dinner in chicken and still have wide variety of other protein to fill out my goal for the day
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    [That's TWENTY OUNCES OF CHICKEN AT ONE SITTING. Are you insane? Not everybody sits down and eats five servings of chicken. Or any chicken.

Something is wrong there because 588 calories of chicken is about 8 ounces. 20 ounce would be over 1200.

• jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of attention seekers on here. Not to mention lots of fakes and everything else in between - along with lots and lots of people who are honest and trying to be helpful. Also lots of truly bad people who just live to take others down by parsing words. When I first joined here I found the posts so helpful and inspiring. But sadly I see less of this and more of the forum warriors who job it is to rip apart anything that does not fit their point of view. As for people who claim they cant eat all of their calories - I think there are very very few of these people in real life. Most people who I know who would fit that profile tend to drink and smoke a lot. That acts as their food. But again - have met very few in actual life.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Allow me to be personal for a moment. I'm on a lot of medications after a kidney transplant, one of which is steroids. It's hard to tell if you're hungry or not, so I can't trust my body on this one. When I started really looking at what I ate, I saw it really varied from day to day. I could go out and eat 3,000 calories easily. The next day I might stay home and I'd end up eating maybe 800 calories. If I wasn't around food, I didn't think to eat. Now, I'm carefully monitoring and teaching myself new eating habits. There are days I hit my goal with ease. There are other days I realize I've eaten too little, and I have to find something else in order to give my body enough calories to work well. Also, I know that when I'm trying to watch all my numbers (carbs, sugars, fat, etc.) there's this struggle sometimes to find a food that will fit the calorie quota without adding too much of something I don't want. It's all about learning a new way to eat. When people are starting any journey, they are bound to make mistakes. Perhaps we should be offering guidance.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

lizery wrote: »

What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention?

Just because someone else's struggles are different from yours doesn't mean that person is just posting for attention.

Perhaps people would like suggestions of high cal foods that they can tolerate/like etc. Or maybe people are looking for people who can relate.

People have reduced appetite (or opportunity to eat) for all kinds of reasons.

You don't understand this predicament? Ok.

You don't need to let it bother you that different people have food/diet/health issues and priorities that vary from your own.

THANKYOU!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you see these posts every day

"Hi, I'm Sharon, I used to weigh 300lbs and consume 4000 calories a day but now I'm on a diet I can't force myself to eat 1200 calories, I'm full after 800 - 1000"

I don't think so. What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention? I mean, a snickers bar is 250 calories. 20g peanut butter is 130 calories. A Caesar salad with dressing is 800 to 1000 calories. You can't eat a salad?

I'm not singling anyone out, I just don't get it.

Maybe no exercise and an extremely sedentary lifestyle? I exercise like a mofo and you can't stop a brother from eating. I basically haven't lost any weight in quite a while because I am exercising so damn much.

But it's a weak connection. I agree with the OP's initial post, more or less.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I regularly struggle to meet my 1400 calorie goal. I usually close my diary out between 1250 and 1350 calories (and yes, I use a food scale, so I know my portions are fine), but after 800 or 900 calories, the rest of my calories are snacks like dark chocolate and peanut butter crackers to bump me up to my limit.

For me, I'm miserable eating only 3 meals a day. It's almost all mental, but it's torture and only eating 3 meals a day tends to be when I overeat. Instead, I eat 3 meals a day and snack between meals on stuff like oranges and cantaloupe, which leaves me feeling really full. When I stop feeling full, I go to the gym. After the gym, I don't feel hungry. Light to moderate exercise leaves me feeling satiated instead of ravenous.

My experience is not your experience, and that's okay. No reason to get judgy.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, I've had the same question as the OP. (Points for the meme-eriffic title.) The whole question is hard for me to fathom, and I can safely say that I've never had this problem and have a hard time imaging that anyone does.

But this is apparently a failure of my imagination, because it seems like this does happen. That said, I think there are many factors at play. Some of the reasons I would suspect, roughly ranked in order of likelihood:

1. Bad measurement of calorie intake. This is a well-documented phenomenon.
    2. Excitement early on in the weight-loss process leading to a kind of placebo effect
    3. Over-restriction of foods - "I can't eat 1200 kcal of broccoli and chicken breast"
    4. Problems with satiety signals
    5. Eating disorders
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you see these posts every day

"Hi, I'm Sharon, I used to weigh 300lbs and consume 4000 calories a day but now I'm on a diet I can't force myself to eat 1200 calories, I'm full after 800 - 1000"

I don't think so. What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention? I mean, a snickers bar is 250 calories. 20g peanut butter is 130 calories. A Caesar salad with dressing is 800 to 1000 calories. You can't eat a salad?

I'm not singling anyone out, I just don't get it.

My guess would be a very myopic view of want constitutes "healthy" and an avoidance of dietary fat. They're generally over feeding on low calorie foods like veg and fruit and not getting enough dietary fat or protein or other quality carbohydrates.
  • cnurenasue
    cnurenasue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 1300-1500 range right now trying to lose 1.5 lbs per week. Most days, I eat 1100-1200. (I ignore my earned exercise calories) I won't want more than that, I'll feel great being under, but I find if I go too low, too long, I become a big hunger monster! It becomes absolutely miserable for me to stay on track. Since I average a 1 pound loss per week, I make an effort to eat my minimum calories (basically stop playing games with my diet!) For me, eating less does not translate to more weight loss, it all averages out the same for my body, so it makes no sense to starve myself.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've ate 1400 calories in snacks alone in just 1 hour. Not proud of those days.
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My guess would be a very myopic view of want constitutes "healthy" and an avoidance of dietary fat. They're generally over feeding on low calorie foods like veg and fruit and not getting enough dietary fat or protein or other quality carbohydrates.

Your guess is 100% wrong. What I don't understand is why you would bother guessing (badly) when you could just read all the posts here from people who've experienced it first-hand, and learn something.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your guess is 100% wrong. What I don't understand is why you would bother guessing (badly) when you could just read all the posts here from people who've experienced it first-hand, and learn something.

I have been here since 2009 and I would suggest that @cwolfman13 is pretty much on the button. In fact, they are in line with what I wrote as well. So I don't agree with your assessment at all.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

ceiswyn wrote: »
    They drive me mental as well. It's like a psychological thing, I think - people try and kid themselves that they are suddenly light skinny gazelles who can't possible eat more than 1000 calories.

Yeah right.

So... if someone who used to eat 4000 calories manages to 'kid themselves' in this way so successfully that now they actually can't eat more than 1000 calories, you think that is a bad thing... why?

are you supporting someone eating under 1000 cals/day long term? Or that it is ok to not know what they are eating at all?
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I fully support the eating of Snickers. OM NOM NOM NOM!

When I started my journey I was having some emotional issues, when I am stressed, food desire plummets, and I remember thinking that I wasn't being fair to my body. I could keep broth down and some crackers but I couldn't push myself to eat more at that time. I would half heartedly lick a tablespoon of peanut butter but end up giving it to my dog. Weeks went by, then I was able to adjust some of the stressors affecting me and gradually increased my food. Mine was psychological, yours may be too, or someones whining, or a special snowflake. With understanding and asking the right questions you can decipher which one and possibly save yourself some frustration.

Between honest questions and attention whoring, the forums can be a seemingly hostile place to navigate, yet it is filled with so many good people trying to help.

Everyone's panties don't need to get in a bunch, unless you like them that way...weirdo >:)
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    are you supporting someone eating under 1000 cals/day long term? Or that it is ok to not know what they are eating at all?

Nope, and nothing I have written suggested that either of those was the case. Only that some people do actually have difficulty eating all their daily calories. It is a real thing that actually happens. Is that such a difficult concept?
  • ceiswyn
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I have been here since 2009 and I would suggest that @cwolfman13 is pretty much on the button. In fact, they are in line with what I wrote as well. So I don't agree with your assessment at all.

Wow, and here I've been all this time thinking I'm a real person who often has genuine difficulty eating back my calories, when thanks to you random internet people I've discovered that I don't exist.

Well *kittens*, that'll larn me.