$13.30 for three days of food

Options

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    To figure that out yourself... that's sort of the idea of the project, isn't it?

The purpose of the project is to live off of $13.30 and recognize the difficulty of doing so. My professor actually recommended doing research online and to plan everything ahead of time. I thought this would be a great resource. I understand if you do not want to help because you believe that it is cheating, but I do not.

Maybe your professor meant online resources of information, such as looking up prices of foods, you can shop online at Walmart Grocery and see the exact prices of everything. He/she wants to know what YOU would do, not what other people you have asked online would do, and you would learn more doing it yourself too.

For example, I went to Wegmans.com and put together a shopping list to see what I could get into my cart. I've got a nice cart that's 13.45 and could drop it a buck with a smaller (but still large enough) package of meat.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I've seen taxes mentioned twice on the thread - where are you that you are charged taxes on food? Where I live, we're not taxed on food.

TN and VA charge sales tax on food. There's probably a chart online.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Shop at Dollar Tree. $13 goes a long way there. When I was younger and much much more poor, I just about lived at that store.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pork'n Beans with cut up hot dogs is a cheap meal, same with Mac'n Cheese and hot dogs.

If you are buying a loaf of bread you can also use hot dog slices in grilled cheese. If you aren't buying cheese slices, wrap a buttered piece of bread around a hot dog (butter side out). Hold together with toothpicks. Bake for 5-10 minutes.....nice and toasty.
  • dpwellman
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    For example, I went to Wegmans.com and put together a shopping list to see what I could get into my cart. I've got a nice cart that's 13.45 and could drop it a buck with a smaller (but still large enough) package of meat.
    Kroger (Smith's, Fry's) and Walmart also.
  • dpwellman
    Options
    Shop at Dollar Tree. $13 goes a long way there. When I was younger and much much more poor, I just about lived at that store.
    If this were a home economics course, learning comparison shopping would be part of it. Even 'off-price' stores (Big Lots, United Grocery Outlet) can have items that are more expensive than their mainstream competitors. Cereal and milk are the most prevailing examples.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I'd suggest a dozen eggs, a carton of old-fashioned oats, a bag of dried beans, and a box of rice. Then add fruit and veg with whatever money you have left. You'll eat similar meals all three days, but it would also let you cook once and then reheat. Good luck!

In my area that might go over.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    brandi8484 wrote: »
    My family of 3 survives on $10/day for our meals. Total. For all 3 of us.
    Chicken, beans, eggs, and veggies are a way of life for us now. lol.

I survived on a lot less than I do now for a while, but I was able to have more than a three day supply of money at any given time. It's difficult, but not impossible if you have more than a three day supply for one person.

OP, is there any way you can team with a classmate and pool your money, so you can buy the items and split them? A dozen eggs is probably a 6 day supply for one person at that income. A bag of beans and a bag of rice can last longer than three days for one person.

Also, it's extremely rare for adults without kids to qualify for assistance. When I was living on less than $1000 per month I could get no help.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Check out the Aldi prices if you have them in your area.... dirt cheap staples like canned veggies, in-season produce, pasta, and eggs there.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not a problem, hunt, fish and grow your own food.

I'd be willing to bet that's not allowed by the assignment either.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    It's definitely doable (I've done it). But the parameters of the exercise are unrealistic and seem skewed to maximize rate of failure. The premise is flawed: it's "assistance" not "subsistence." It's an important distinction and I would include that in my report.

Also don't forget to deduct sales taxes.

I respectfully disagree with you. While it is called "assistance" for many poor people in this country, it is their primary or only way to pay for food. This is a learning experience. Important insights can be gained as well as the development of empathy for those who struggle to feed themselves and their families. Also, if tax is charged on food in her area, then it should be included because it is part of the total cost of purchasing the food; it's not optional.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores have a couple of shelves with the scratched/dented stuff. It's heavily discounted. Like a box of cereal that has been opened, but the bag the cereal is in inside is still sealed. Perfectly safe, but no one wants to buy it. It will be super cheap. Mine will also have produce that is just on the right side of ripe. That stuff is also heavily discounted.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I manage performance for a large government agency and teach. We achieve more when we collaborate so continue to do so. If I were on so tight a budget I definately would ask for help and offer help to others. It appears that your professor wants you to feel the pinch of eating on a food stamps budget. My thoughts: DollarTree's dried beans, maragine to cook them in, rice. bags of mixed veg, eggs, oatmeal, cheese to put on them, milk. chicken. Tuna. etc. Onions from a grocery. I would give extra credit for foraging dandelion greens, berries, fishing, hunting, etc.

and FYI accurately telling people that they are cheating is helpful.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

OP, is there any way you can team with a classmate and pool your money, so you can buy the items and split them? A dozen eggs is probably a 6 day supply for one person at that income. A bag of beans and a bag of rice can last longer than three days for one person.

This is actually a school assignment, not a real life scenario. Regardless I love the concept of collaboration. In fact, I used to "meal share" with a friend. I would be tired of a big vat of split pea soup so I would split with a friend. She'd do the same when making bread.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    Speaking as a professor: Unless you have explicitly been told otherwise, asking others to give you the answer to your homework problem is cheating. I'm confident that your professor's advice to take advantage of online resources did not include using the internet to ask others to do the work for you. If you disagree, confirm it with him/her--that is the way to do it with integrity.
    I agree it's a good idea to confirm this with the professor, if she hasn't. (Couldn't quite tell what the professor meant by doing research online.)

But looking at the question, it sounds like the kind of guidance OP is asking for is very general - the kind of thing a person on assistance could also ask for and get. It would be different if the question asked for specific prices and stores. And, I couldn't really tell, but the assignment may be to actually buy and live off those things - not just to make a menu - and we're not doing that for her.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    Rotisserie chicken for sure, you can stretch that to feed you for 4+ meals! Shred all of the meat from the bird and then boil down that bones/carcass and make a soup base for another meal. Get a small bag of beans and rice and you can eat beans and rice w/chicken and then make a bean, rice, chicken soup for another meal.

Awful advice. You're trying to stretch your money, don't buy something someone else cooked... do you think they do that for free? It's going to be much cheaper to buy a chicken (or chicken pieces) and cook it yourself.

Precooked food is for convenience. Great if you have more money than time, not a good idea if you're super poor.

If OP doesn't know how to cook, it's not terrible advice. The rotisserie chickens are usually only slightly more expensive than the raw birds at a lot of groceries (I've seen them range from $4-6 at various stores around here. The raw birds are sometimes just as much) and is more than enough for 1 person for 3 days. (The protein source is expected to be the most expensive item, and will come in at less than half the budget here).

If op had to actually live off that amount of good money I guarantee he/she would be learning to cook real fast.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Take a look at http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/538130/feed-a-family-for-50-a-week for ideas. Although it says a week, the challenge was for the working week, so only 5 days, and they probably used herbs etc that they already owned, but it may give ideas. There are probably equivalent USD articles.

Also, check your local supermarkets for reduced price foods on items at their Use By date. In the UK, those on serious budgets (and even some of us that aren't) know when food prices get reduced. Periodically, I stock up on meats and put them in my freezer. I know that if it has a reduced sticker I just have to make sure I actually use it on the day I defrost it.

A roast chicken would do several meals and, once the meat is removed, could be used with carrots and onion to make soup for lunches too.