I'm finding it difficult to eat 1200 calories.

Options

Replies

• SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    What are your current stats & goals, OP? What was the calorie count of an average day for you before?

Along with some of the points mentioned above (perhaps you are eating more volume of less calorie-dense foods and need to broaden your diet to include more calorie-dense foods), it is common for new ones to experience sort of a "dieter's high"- they're so excited about their new diet & initial weight loss, they feel like they don't hardly need to eat at all! This phase will pass soon enough. ;) But in the meantime, you need to fuel your body properly.

This reply is going to be long, sorry.

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female
    Health problems: Fibromyalgia, two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.
    I eat whole fish in the morning for the calcium and vitamin D in the bones along with the healthy fish oil and protein.
    I eat 100g-200g of green vegetables with every meal to help one type of the anemia, and I eat 150g-200g beef heart steak (it contains more nutrients and iron than regular steak) in the evening for the other type of anemia.

My goal is to be a healthy weight; my overall goal for the next 2-4years is 126lbs, with no vitamin deficiencies; to do this is the reason why I chose the above food choices, and it's a lot more food than what I usually eat, but probably less calories.
    I have limited energy due to the Fibromyalgia, I only ate one meal a day with a couple of milky coffee's because that's all I had energy to prepare, a lot of the time I don't have energy to do much at all although I do get some good days where I can do almost as much as I did before.

To the extent you can get some gentle exercise, this could help stimulate your appetite too (and help with the fibro).

I second this advice as someone who also has fibro (and I know several others on here that have it also) - do as much gentle exercise as you can and that will definitely help. I can always tell when I need to get out more because my fibro will be worse but if I get in a walk, even if it's slow, it gets a little better. If I work out regularly in some shape or form, it seems to be for the most part alleviated but then it gets very bad if I stop. So try that as well and see if it helps. Fair warning: it will hurt more at first but that's just when you are starting and is to be expected. If you can push past that, it does get better. Hope this helps!

What exercises do you do?
    I try to walk more on the days I have more energy.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .

100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, I eat 150g-200g a day, do the math..

This message seems rude now that I've read it, wasn't my intention, sorry if it seems that way..
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    What are your current stats & goals, OP? What was the calorie count of an average day for you before?

Along with some of the points mentioned above (perhaps you are eating more volume of less calorie-dense foods and need to broaden your diet to include more calorie-dense foods), it is common for new ones to experience sort of a "dieter's high"- they're so excited about their new diet & initial weight loss, they feel like they don't hardly need to eat at all! This phase will pass soon enough. ;) But in the meantime, you need to fuel your body properly.

This reply is going to be long, sorry.

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female
    Health problems: Fibromyalgia, two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.
    I eat whole fish in the morning for the calcium and vitamin D in the bones along with the healthy fish oil and protein.
    I eat 100g-200g of green vegetables with every meal to help one type of the anemia, and I eat 150g-200g beef heart steak (it contains more nutrients and iron than regular steak) in the evening for the other type of anemia.

My goal is to be a healthy weight; my overall goal for the next 2-4years is 126lbs, with no vitamin deficiencies; to do this is the reason why I chose the above food choices, and it's a lot more food than what I usually eat, but probably less calories.
    I have limited energy due to the Fibromyalgia, I only ate one meal a day with a couple of milky coffee's because that's all I had energy to prepare, a lot of the time I don't have energy to do much at all although I do get some good days where I can do almost as much as I did before.

Are you taking a vitamin D supplement? It's incredibly difficult to get vitamin D from food.

Yes, Vitabiotics Osteocare contains vitamin D, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Most Vit D intake is from sunlight - by all means take a Vit D supplement if your levels are low - I would take a combination Vit D/calcium one, given your calcium levels are low too, but also get enough sunshine

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your problems. Your post caught my eye as I am from Epping - hi!

As you know, we aren't getting much sunlight in the UK at the mo....hurry up spring! I sit in front of a light box during the winter. I don't think it actually helps you make vitamin D, but it does help regulate your circadian rhythms and is supposed to help with energy levels. I know it makes me feel happier and boosts my energy levels.

It has to be one of the proper light boxes, around 10,000 lux. Just a suggestion.

If you go to Holland and Barratt they have lots of yummy bars, with protein in some of them. On the website there is even more choice. Things made up with fruit and quinoa for example. Eating one of those a day might bump you up 300 cals or so. They wouldn't take any energy to prepare.

Good luck x

• smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    All of those green vegetables you eat, how are you cooking them, just plain boiling them?
    Maybe try roasting them with a little oil or adding butter.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Making sure you get enough fat will help enormously with vitamin absorption. So you'll pee less of the supplements out! As above, add a little butter to your veg, cook with a little oil, eat some chocolate, make guacamole to have with your steak (just chuck it in a blender and done).

I get the cooking and eating is exhausting thing. Well, the cooking anyway......So I just keep things as simple as I can for myself. If it's in my budget I'll get the things I can just throw in the oven/microwave that I know will fit my calories for the day.

Whilst it's great you are trying to address your weight and nutritional deficiencies through your diet, you're not going to feel the benefit if you're exhausted even more than usual from too few calories.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .

100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, I eat 150g-200g a day, do the math..

I was going to say - you eat LIVER!!! You don't need an iron supplement! :) God bless you though...I wish I could stomach the stuff. Blech!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How do you check someone else's diary?

@m0mmymakeover Click on their username. When the box pops up, click on their username again. That will take you to their personal page. If their diary is public, there will be a green box that says "View Diary." Click on that.

That is for a desktop computer. Not sure how it translates if you are on a phone.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

What exercises do you do?
    I try to walk more on the days I have more energy.

I take a water exercise class specifically designed for fibro. I don't have it but have other issues and the gentle activity in the warm pool really helps. Others in the class who do have fibro say it helps.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options

Not disputing that beef heart contains lots of iron and not sure why you want me to do the maths on it.

You mentioned that you were anemic and were taking a multi vitamin with iron.

My point that most multi vitamins do not contain sufficient iron to be effective for anemia still stands - and if you compare amount of iron in them to specific iron supplements like Ferrograd or FGF you will see that.

If you eat enough iron that you dont need a supplement at all, fine - but you did say you were taking one.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I was going to say - you eat LIVER!!! You don't need an iron supplement! :) God bless you though...I wish I could stomach the stuff. Blech!

Liver is also very high in vitamin A...
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    So this actually happened to me when I first joined this site. The first few days that I was on here and started tracking I was more aware of it and just not hungry. That quickly wore off, though!

It is common for new members. They go for high volume/low calorie foods and get filled up before reaching the calorie target. Usually doesn't take long to figure out.

Yep that used to be me too!

OP, I also agree to seek a RD or take some nutrition classes at your local VO-tech. And I hate these detox teas. Awful marketing, usually via MLM, and just plain crooked. They pay celebs big bucks to post a pic with their tea on social media. Usually stuff that really works is the stuff that doesn't get attention.
  • amuslimahh
    amuslimahh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    On the whole, I felt a majority of these replies were patronizing and downright rude!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    amuslimahh wrote: »
    On the whole, I felt a majority of these replies were patronizing and downright rude!

The OP didn't give a whole lot of background in her initial post... and let's face it, most people didn't get to be in a position where they need to lose weight through struggling to eat enough. It's very common that people starting out here are not weighing and logging their food correctly, so it's often the first question asked. Perhaps some of the replies could have been a little kinder in tone, but most weren't that bad.

And now that the OP has explained her medical issues, people are trying to offer support and help her figure things out.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor not prescribed suppliments if you have confirmed deficiencies not just lower end of norm levels?

I have to take cholecalciferol, adcal, ferrous sulphate and they inject me with b12 every 12 weeks as im unable to absorb it orally
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    SarahFromWalthamForest Posts: 101 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Has your doctor not prescribed suppliments if you have confirmed deficiencies not just lower end of norm levels?

I have to take cholecalciferol, adcal, ferrous sulphate and they inject me with b12 every 12 weeks as im unable to absorb it orally

They did, but I forgot them in the hotel room when I took my girls away for the weekend, so I bought some when I got back.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options

Liver is also very high in vitamin A...

Liver is repulsive, the smell alone is enough to make me sick.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options

I can't stomach liver, it's disgusting.
    Heart however tastes very similar to steak..
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    All of those green vegetables you eat, how are you cooking them, just plain boiling them?
    Maybe try roasting them with a little oil or adding butter.

I steam my food, it's quick, easy and healthy.
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    Update:
    I went to my doctor yesterday and he says what I'm eating, I showed him my food diary, is the best for health and weightloss, he also said it's fine if I can only manage to eat 800-900 calories, after I mentioned that some people on this site have said that not eating close to 1200 calories is bad.

I was very close to vomiting halfway through my lunch yesterday, because I was so full, that I had to put the food in the fridge and eat it later.

My doctor also said the best foods to avoid are sugars, carbs, high gi foods, fatty meats and processed foods, he explained about insulin rises from sugars/high gi foods causing the body to gain more fat and water retention etc.