Is 2% Milk really that bad?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    We have an organic dairy nearby, i always stop and buy a couple of bottles when i drive past, it still has a thick layer of cream on top. No idea what % it is...

I will never drink skim milk. Tastes like watery dish water :confounded:

ETA: I've noticed Americans always use % when talking about milk. We only have full cream and skim milk here, no idea what percentage they are.

We have skim, light and full. Skim is generally 99.9% fat free, light is 2% and full I'm not sure. Oh, and I think Pura Light Start is 1%.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You could drink heavy cream daily and be shredded at sub 10% body fat. It's all about CICO
    Not quite. There are variances in the way certain molecules are metabolized. Too much of one thing and/or too little of another over any length of time can cause 'weird' things to happen.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    You could drink heavy cream daily and be shredded at sub 10% body fat. It's all about CICO
    Not quite. There are variances in the way certain molecules are metabolized. Too much of one thing and/or too little of another over any length of time can cause 'weird' things to happen.

So is it your contention that if somebody drinks a couple tablespoons of heavy cream daily in their coffee, they'll never be able to get to sub 10% BF?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    dpwellman wrote: »

So is it your contention that if somebody drinks a couple tablespoons of heavy cream daily in their coffee, they'll never be able to get to sub 10% BF?
    Already answered.

Too much of one thing and/or too little of another over any length of time can cause 'weird' things to happen.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Soooo many tempting "milking an almond" memes to share, but I'm not gonna risk it. LOL
  • bienemajamfp
    bienemajamfp Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some Silk nut milks have 10 g Protein per serving and they are very creamy. So I prefer these over reg Milk.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've always had 2% milk but for weight loss everywhere I read it's all about almond milk but I don't really like it.

"Bad"? How so? Taste-wise? Health-wise? (I don't drink it - I drink skim, and I love it.)
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that almond milk isn't that great for you because it often has a ton of added sugar... might only be true of the flavored kinds (like vanilla which is closer to milk tasting). Plain almond milk doesn't taste like much.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    LilacLion wrote: »
    Yes, cow's milk is really that bad...unless you're a calf. It's bad for human health. It's bad for the cows that gave the milk. It's bad for the environment. It's that bad.

Oh good LORD.

Yeah. I had one of those types argue with me that no adult can digest milk, even though the genetics behind adults with lactase persistence has been well studied and documented.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you drink milk and you enjoy 2% milk - drink 2% milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    2% is fine. People use almond milk for all sorts of reasons, but it's no "better"

This. Milk has more protein, so I wouldn't at all claim that almond milk is inherently better. They are different, that's all. (Some object to dairy for ethical reasons, like vegans. This is often combined with a claim that dairy is bad for you, but it's not true, unless you are one of the people who respond poorly to dairy -- for example, some are lactose intolerant.)

IMO, the best nut milks (the ones I make at home) will have as many calories as dairy does anyway, because it contains more of the nut itself, and so is higher in fat (still not terribly high in protein). A lot of the store-bought nut milks are basically flavored water, which is why they are so low in calories. Low cal is nice if you like them, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Some Silk nut milks have 10 g Protein per serving and they are very creamy. So I prefer these over reg Milk.

Which ones? I am curious about overall calories and the source of the protein, since almonds are not that high in protein despite being high cal. (Most almond milk really is basically just flavored water. The sometimes vaunted calcium content is added with a supplement, which is fine but in the same way that taking a calcium supplement would be.)
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options