$13.30 for three days of food

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article written by a local food pantry and one of the thigns they said they often ask for in donations is spices - salt/pepper/garlic powder because it can make normally dull food, more paletable - dollar store/shoppers tend to have spices in the .50c to $1 range
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I had to do this just to live , hence why I gained all my weight back but how I did it was many runs to dollar tree.
    PBJ , loaf of bread, PB , Jelly 3 bucks , lasts all week for lunches.
    tuna is 2 /$1 , box of cookies $1 , 4 pack cup of soup $1 , they also have frozen section for pizza bagels , fries , chicken nuggets. the more fat content the more filling the meal.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I was reading an article written by a local food pantry and one of the thigns they said they often ask for in donations is spices - salt/pepper/garlic powder because it can make normally dull food, more paletable - dollar store/shoppers tend to have spices in the .50c to $1 range

Not to mention, with a few spices you can make the same food taste differently. Meaning that the same tomato sauce can be made spicy one day, garlic the next and with oregano on the third. It gives variety in taste when you don't have variety in the foods themselves.

I'll have to remember that next time they make a donation drive for non-perishable foods. I usually buy tuna, tomato, salt and pasta. It sadly never crossed my mind to buy spices to donate.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Here is what I buy when I'm on a budget- bananas, oatmeal, rice, beans and hot sauce
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Ya, I have donated spices to the local food pantry.

The woman at my church who coordinates the monthly food drive sometimes lets us know items the food pantry is especially in need of. I find this helpful - knowing they could really use canned fruit or spices is more of an incentive for me to pick up extras of these than just the generic "need food."
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, I have donated spices to the local food pantry.

The woman at my church who coordinates the monthly food drive sometimes lets us know items the food pantry is especially in need of. I find this helpful - knowing they could really use canned fruit or spices is more of an incentive for me to pick up extras of these than just the generic "need food."

I often see the lists of stuff that they ask for - I need to get better about donating on a regular basis
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    But this is a good point, too...because you need more than just the food.

You also need things like pots, pans, a working stove/microwave/hotplate, fridge, freezer, washing up facilities, and the like. For a person living out of a car this is problematic. If your electricity is turned off you may not be able to cook pasta. People in dire straits may lack the facilities others take as given. It's more than just food.

That's true - I'm reminded of a school friend who was one of four kids in a single-parent family, and her dad was very poor. I know that they never had any hot water because their electricity was cut off, so I guess they must have lived off cold food too (or maybe they had a gas camping stove or something). As a child it never crossed my mind to wonder how they ate, but now I find it hard to imagine living that way. We're going through some rough times right now, but I realise that we still have a lot of advantages that some people don't have - including a roof over our heads, light and heat.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Allgaun wrote: »
    Don't forget spices, you are going to want salt and pepper if nothing else. Also oil, margarine or butter to fry your eggs, salad dressing or vinegar for dressing. Ketchup? Mustard? Mayo? All those little "extras" add bucks to a grocery trip
    Do you mean for the OP, or for people on assistance? The OP, if that's who you meant, probably can't afford those, given the restriction on "bulk" purchases.

I think the original post said nothing could be used that you already had, in other words all the food and any ingredients used would have to be purchased with the $13. So cooking the eggs, unless you boil them, is going to require some sort of oil or butter. A salad would be dry unless she purchased a dressing or some oil and vinegar. Etc.

If they have a non-stick pan, they can do more than just boil the eggs. I know that my pan works with eggs by themselves. Granted, it is newer. An older one might not be so kind.

You can also bake whole eggs.

Muffin pans to the rescue!

Indeed!

Just don't try and microwave them.

not that I ever tried that....

4si7ck8khwkp.jpg

Can microwave eggs in the shell. In fact many older microwave manuals had instructions to do just that.

Eggs do quite well in the microwave. It's my preferred method of cooking egg whites.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    $13 for 3 days for me is completely doable, and I'm in Australia (everything is a lot more expensive here, dollar for dollar).

Hell, when I was in Uni, a 500g bag of pasta ($1), a tin of tuna ($1.50), a can of cream of mushroom soup ($2) and a cup of milk ($1) made a casserole which would feed me and the cat for 5 days. And often did.
    In AUD you get a bit more than $17 to spend.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Eggs, sliced bread and a bag of frozen vegetables. You might be able to squeeze in some frozen veg that would be good for 3 lunches and dinners
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but pork has been trending really cheap where I live. The Hormel 12 link packs of sausage have been showing up on sale for $0.99 and can be combined with a carton of eggs pretty easily for a meal of sausage and eggs. Or just eat the sausages... about 1,000 calories per pack, so for $13, you get 13K calories. That's more than many of us need over 3 days time.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    And then, for educational purposes, there's this:
    http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/how-to-cook-a-wolf-week-sludge/

(The whole MFK Fisher book "How to Cook a Wolf" is a really good read, and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in home economics and/or history).
    “How to Keep Alive” is the chapter title, and it begins “There are times when helpful hints about turning off the gas when not in use are foolish, because the gas has been turned off permanently, or until you can pay the bill.

Let us take for granted that the situation, while uncomfortable, is definitely impermanent and can be coped with. The first thing to do, if you have absolutely no money, is to borrow some…As soon as you have procured fifty cents, find some kind soul who will let you use a stove…buy about fifteen cents’ worth ground beef from a reputable butcher…about ten cents’ worth of whole grain cereal…(and) spend the rest of your money on vegetables.

Get one bunch of carrots, two onions, some celery, and either a small head of cabbage or the coarse outer leaves from some heads that should be trimmed a bit anyway. It does not matter if they be slightly battered: you will wash them and grind them into an odorous but unrecognizable sludge.

Fisher recommends any remaining money be spent on additional vegetables, like squash and zucchini. This recipe, she says, will feed you for about four days once cooked into Sludge.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I live a US state where groceries are high!

I'm thinking of challenging myself to try this.

Since there are two of us do I get 26.60?
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    And then, for educational purposes, there's this:
    http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/how-to-cook-a-wolf-week-sludge/

(The whole MFK Fisher book "How to Cook a Wolf" is a really good read, and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in home economics and/or history).
    “How to Keep Alive” is the chapter title, and it begins “There are times when helpful hints about turning off the gas when not in use are foolish, because the gas has been turned off permanently, or until you can pay the bill.

Let us take for granted that the situation, while uncomfortable, is definitely impermanent and can be coped with. The first thing to do, if you have absolutely no money, is to borrow some…As soon as you have procured fifty cents, find some kind soul who will let you use a stove…buy about fifteen cents’ worth ground beef from a reputable butcher…about ten cents’ worth of whole grain cereal…(and) spend the rest of your money on vegetables.

Get one bunch of carrots, two onions, some celery, and either a small head of cabbage or the coarse outer leaves from some heads that should be trimmed a bit anyway. It does not matter if they be slightly battered: you will wash them and grind them into an odorous but unrecognizable sludge.

Fisher recommends any remaining money be spent on additional vegetables, like squash and zucchini. This recipe, she says, will feed you for about four days once cooked into Sludge.

That sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to put it on my wish list for my birthday :smile:
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    I live a US state where groceries are high!

I'm thinking of challenging myself to try this.

Since there are two of us do I get 26.60?

I assume so. It should also make it a whole lot easier to you as you should be able to squeeze in quite a few more things than the theoretically I calculated for myself.

Good luck with that!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options