Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    We can only go by what people say. People who are advocating the "big is beautiful" agenda have no problem saying so. People with medical problems may not elaborate on their problem but usually have no problem saying that they have some kind of medical problem. That's all I can tell you.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just had the shock of my life, I actually decided to go on blogs, sites and reading their posts...
    The movement have nothing to do with the so called fat shaming, their message is full of hatred and simply crazy dangerous...
    Please go and check it out by yourself!
    > thisisthinprivilege.org
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    It couldn't be an intellectually dishonest power grab disguised as empowerment, could it?
  • bdbfangirl20
    bdbfangirl20 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I really hope you meant body positive movement and not "fat acceptance movement" the whole basis is to teach young girls (all girls) to love their body through every phase. There are people who claim to teach acceptance but portray it in a negative way which causes confusion and lots of internet trolls to state its promoting obesity. But its primarily a fairly large group of individuals/organization who/that stand by the importance of a healthy self image. They are designers, models, bloggers, and even health promoters.

I know that growing up was not easy. I have always been overweight or at least not the average weight. There wasnt many people I could look up to or relate to. There was limited clothing and information. But now there is a wide variety of options and I love it. We should teach others to love themselves despite what they are told or shown. And yes we should also promote a healthy lifestyle. What people didnt consider was I was on different diets and in and out of sports camps since the age of 13. My weight constantly bounced and I wish someone would have told me to give myself a break to love myself to not see my differences as bad. I think if I had a healthy self image I would have chose myself to stick to a healthy lifestyle rather than to just give up.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I just had the shock of my life, I actually decided to go on blogs, sites and reading their posts...
    The movement have nothing to do with the so called fat shaming, their message is full of hatred and simply crazy dangerous...

I see you've just discovered the neo-Marxist style of framing sociological problems as victim/oppressor known as "Critical Theory". You might want to check out all the different types of Critical Theory currently being taught.

Incidentally, just because Critical Theorists are (usually) wrong about solutions, it doesn't mean they've incorrectly identified many problems.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

I see you've just discovered the neo-Marxist style of framing sociological problems as victim/oppressor known as "Critical Theory". You might want to check out all the different types of Critical Theory currently being taught.

Incidentally, just because Critical Theorists are (usually) wrong about solutions, it doesn't mean they've incorrectly identified many problems.

> easy, move on..
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I really hope you meant body positive movement and not "fat acceptance movement" the whole basis is to teach young girls (all girls) to love their body through every phase. There are people who claim to teach acceptance but portray it in a negative way which causes confusion and lots of internet trolls to state its promoting obesity. But its primarily a fairly large group of individuals/organization who/that stand by the importance of a healthy self image. They are designers, models, bloggers, and even health promoters.

I know that growing up was not easy. I have always been overweight or at least not the average weight. There wasnt many people I could look up to or relate to. There was limited clothing and information. But now there is a wide variety of options and I love it. We should teach others to love themselves despite what they are told or shown. And yes we should also promote a healthy lifestyle. What people didnt consider was I was on different diets and in and out of sports camps since the age of 13. My weight constantly bounced and I wish someone would have told me to give myself a break to love myself to not see my differences as bad. I think if I had a healthy self image I would have chose myself to stick to a healthy lifestyle rather than to just give up.

Designers, models, bloggers are people who are giving health advice in this space. Anyone else see this as a problem?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I'm just wondering how you can tell, by just looking at a person why they are as they are, health conditions do not shout out they are health conditionas opposed to someone perpetually piggin out, the people can look very similar. People who presume to know why a person is the way they are are doing themselves and society a disservice, only the person themselves knows the things they are doing to achieve their own good health. If it were possible to identify all the issues which can cause health problems in each and every person we would live in a very different world we'd need fewer doctors for starters.

Low t3 underpins my, salicylate sensitivity, Histamine intolerance, chemical sensitivity, dairy intolerance not lactose but the common kind, casein and paraben, the preservative in food, medication and cleaning products problems. In many situations Low t3 prevents the body naturally being able to make the enzymes etc it should do. Naturally those giving the scathing glances and hostile comments could see all this going on in me and others like me, NOT.

Just going to say here that with 65% of the population in the US overweight and at least 20% of those categorized as obese, we're likely only talking less than 5% with major health issues that caused the weight gain. The rest is from choice of not addressing it before they got there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^ We have a winner.
  • bdbfangirl20
    bdbfangirl20 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Because God forbid those who are not doctors give advice on self image, self acceptance, and body weight..

In reality at the end of the day someone has to want to lose the weight. It doesn't matter what a doctor, sibling, trainer tells them they mentally have to want it. It has been proven fat shaming and bullying doesn't convince people to lose weight.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Because God forbid those who are not doctors give advice on self image, self acceptance, and body weight..

In reality at the end of the day someone has to want to lose the weight. It doesn't matter what a doctor, sibling, trainer tells them they mentally have to want it. It has been proven fat shaming and bullying doesn't convince people to lose weight.

Fat shaming convinced me to lose weight. r/fatpeoplehate was a great motivator for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how you can tell, by just looking at a person why they are as they are, health conditions do not shout out they are health conditionas opposed to someone perpetually piggin out, the people can look very similar. People who presume to know why a person is the way they are are doing themselves and society a disservice, only the person themselves knows the things they are doing to achieve their own good health. If it were possible to identify all the issues which can cause health problems in each and every person we would live in a very different world we'd need fewer doctors for starters.

Low t3 underpins my, salicylate sensitivity, Histamine intolerance, chemical sensitivity, dairy intolerance not lactose but the common kind, casein and paraben, the preservative in food, medication and cleaning products problems. In many situations Low t3 prevents the body naturally being able to make the enzymes etc it should do. Naturally those giving the scathing glances and hostile comments could see all this going on in me and others like me, NOT.

Just going to say here that with 65% of the population in the US overweight and at least 20% of those categorized as obese, we're likely only talking less than 5% with major health issues that caused the weight gain. The rest is from choice of not addressing it before they got there.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. Most likely it is 95% that have minor physical/mental health issues leading to weight gains. Over time obesity can lead 95% of them to have developed major health issues.

Totally healthy people seldom become obese I expect.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Fat shaming convinced me to lose weight. r/fatpeoplehate was a great motivator for me.

Worked for me too.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Actually when a person is looking to change their health/weight both positive and negative stuff can help.

When a person is not looking for better health the same positive/negative messages can hurt them.

I did have to visualize myself in my coffin to get off of sugar and all grain in my case. When I looked at going for an early death or a longer healthier life I went for the latter which was a positive image.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I still think that doctors should be willing to take complaints from larger patients seriously rather than dismissing everything as weight-related. I've heard of people having undiagnosed tumors, even, because doctors just assumed whatever was wrong had to do with weight/could wait to be dealt with until the person was thinner.

Thankfully this way well become a moot point in the next 10-20 years with the rise of cognitive healthcare computing / IBM Watson Health.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. Most likely it is 95% that have minor physical/mental health issues leading to weight gains. Over time obesity can lead 95% of them to have developed major health issues.

Totally healthy people seldom become obese I expect.

What is this new mental health pandemic sweeping the globe causing billions of people to eat above their maintenance calories?

I do not see it as anything new. The cause of overeating can be many. In my case as my joint and muscle pain levels increased my energy levels seemed to decrease. Then I would grab a Dr. Pepper and and candy bar unaware that in my case the carbs where increasing my inflammation levels leading to higher pain levels leading to increasing my intake of Dr. Pepper and candy bars. CI was increasing and CO was decreasing.

When facing starting Enbrel injections on a hunch I cut out sugar and all forums of all grains Oct 2014 and pain levels dropped like a rock in the first 30 days and have not returned but good physical/mental health is still recovering at age 66.

In my case going off sugar and all grains was just a mental decision to cease consuming them. Two weeks later the physical cravings for them packed up and left so it has been easy since that time. Well the mental cravings lasted more like six month I guess but since my long term subjective pain levels of 7-8 had dropped to more like 2-3 the mental cravings had little impact on my WOE.