When you live with people who never gain weight and eat all the stuff you cannot touch.

Options

Replies

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    rouhnaz wrote: »
    @jen_092 I appreciate your sincerity! Yeah it's tough when you live together. My boyfriend has seen me fit, overweight, and all the in between as well! But he loves me and isn't turned off by the ups and downs.
    I wish you the best of luck when you move in together!

Thank you! :)
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why can't you go for a walk to earn more calories when the boyfriend is cooking and get home and eat some of his cooking? This lifestyle is going be for always and not just while losing weight.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation with my sister, though we don't live together we spend a lot of time together.

She is very skinny and never restricts herself on anything. I think it comes down to her being a naturally active person. When she is home from work, she is often getting started with projects - DIYs around the house, painting a wall. She says she is being "lazy" a lot of the tim,e but my suspicion is that she gets up from the couch more than I do.

I do exercise regularly, and since I don't own a car I walk a lot - and fast. But when I am passive, I am passive. I like to curl up in the sofa with a book, and honestly I can sit there for a while.

She refuses to make "healthy versions" of anything. If I suggest a homemade tortilla pizza with vegetables, it's thumbs down.

I have adjusted by planning my days a little bit, and if I know I'll be eating at her place, I eat very healthy the rest of the day, and maybe throw in some exercise. But yes, it annoys me that she doesn't wiggle the other way around.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My husband can eat 3000 calories a day and lose weight, he has a very active job and naturally high metabolism but he has a completely different view of food than most so fortunately as far as he is concerned eating is an inconvenience only done when hungry. So it doesn't really bother me too much.

The advantage too is that the snacks he loves I can take or leave and therfore choose to leave. Having his and hers snacks helps. Also I tend to have small breakfasts and lunches so I can have more calories for dinner so we generally eat the same thing I just give him a larger portion, I have more veg on my plate and a smaller portion or he will have buttery mash and i have a jacket potato.

It does help that I am the one that cooks so I control what we both eat in the evening. The thing is, not getting too bothered with what others are eating comes overtime you just have to look at the bigger picture for now.
  • burngirl21
    burngirl21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Luckily my man has willingly shifted his intake to eat what I eat at home. And we've agreed that there are no snacks in the house - nothing that might tempt me. If we want ice cream or cake or whatever, we go out to eat it, with the result that it's probably just once per month. But what I have found most helpful to promote weight loss is: eating lower carb (for me at 130lbs and 5'4" I mean eating about 60-80g of carbs per day) and otherwise not worrying too much about how much I eat, but tracking it nonetheless, and incorporating a fast day each week rather than being too restrictive with my calories. On fast days I have bone broth, lots of herbal tea, and maybe miso soup. I feel great after those fast days! But then I'm not a person who gets hangry. My man absolutely can't do a fast day ;)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What many people don't realize about people who are "naturally lean and fit" is they are either eating less at other times or their activity level is higher than most people's.

While this seems to make sense -- I live with someone who defies this logic. My husband can't keep weight on. He is rail thin and looses weight at the drop of a hat. He has seen many doctors and has had numerous tests. He drinks ensure plus between meals just to maintain his weight. He will even wake up at night just to down an ensure and go back to bed!

The doctors have concluded that he just has a naturally crazy high metabolism. Part of me is bitter - I have to fight for every pound i take off. However, i watch him struggle too. It sucks at both ends of the spectrum.

"Naturally high metabolism" is just doctor speak for saying what I said. While some people do have a slightly higher BMR than others, differences in BMR are minor in comparison to the number of calories people burn due to daily activities. Some of those activities may even be things that people don't even realize they are doing and yet they burn calories. Some people hardly ever sit down. Some people tend to fidget or pace the floor. Whatever the case, those calories have to be going somewhere.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @TimothyFish Hate to argue with you here but.... I am training for a marathon. He is training for the PlayStation Fallout 4 video game weekend napping olympics - LOL. I can barely get him to walk the dogs with me. AND he has a desk job.

He has gotten all kinds of tests - Thyroid to GI. He really is the exception to the rule. He has to eat over 3000 calories a day or his weight plummets to worrisome levels.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'3 200+; I'm 5'3, 130s. I eat more than he does most days. He has a "desk job" and is mostly sedentary other than 2 hours at the gym. I spend the same amt of time at the gym; we're on the same lifting program.

I'm much more active during the day.. AND I track my food and eat "better" during the day too. We've lived together 15 years; I haven't always been the most active or the leaner one. The difference comes down to behavior.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I don't understand. Why can't you eat those foods?

Really? You can eat "delicious bottomless meals all day"? I think it's pretty clear what the OP is saying. :|
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Let me say, he is the warmest most loving and considerate person I know!
    I'm not saying he does it to torture me. He hates that I always struggle with my diet.

But this doesn't mean he needs to struggle.

"I even drive him to places where he can get food from different restaurants and bring it home to devour while I sit in a corner and play on my phone."

To be fair he could meet you half way and not get you to do this sort of thing which isn't super considerate. :P

I agree with another poster maybe you could ask him to help you out by eating a bigger lunch so you can share a healthier evening meal (he can still have a big portion) No harm in asking, I asked my husband if he's okay with not having junk and snacks at home and he's happy to just have that sort of stuff at work or out of the house, you could ask, if he says no fair enough and you'll just have to work around him. However I certainly wouldn't be driving him round to different restaurants so he can bring it all home and eat a pile of junk in front of you, thats borderline cruel, if you can do this sort of thing for him perhaps he can go out of his way to help you sometimes. :P
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There was one study I was reading that some people, when given a calorie surplus, increase the number of calories they burn through non-exercise movement much more than other people. Fidgeting, pacing while on the phone, leg bouncing, ect. There's just an internal, toddler-like drive to never stop moving.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    There was one study I was reading that some people, when given a calorie surplus, increase the number of calories they burn through non-exercise movement much more than other people. Fidgeting, pacing while on the phone, leg bouncing, ect. There's just an internal, toddler-like drive to never stop moving.

This reminds me of me on a surplus.. I become a jumping bean, full of energy.. my body fights so hard to gain sometimes... it comes to the point where I have to actually stop myself from moving too much.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Let me say, he is the warmest most loving and considerate person I know!
    I'm not saying he does it to torture me. He hates that I always struggle with my diet.

But this doesn't mean he needs to struggle.

"I even drive him to places where he can get food from different restaurants and bring it home to devour while I sit in a corner and play on my phone."

To be fair he could meet you half way and not get you to do this sort of thing which isn't super considerate. :P

I agree with another poster maybe you could ask him to help you out by eating a bigger lunch so you can share a healthier evening meal (he can still have a big portion) No harm in asking, I asked my husband if he's okay with not having junk and snacks at home and he's happy to just have that sort of stuff at work or out of the house, you could ask, if he says no fair enough and you'll just have to work around him. However I certainly wouldn't be driving him round to different restaurants so he can bring it all home and eat a pile of junk in front of you, thats borderline cruel, if you can do this sort of thing for him perhaps he can go out of his way to help you sometimes. :P

I like this suggestion and this is what happens in my house most days... BUT... I am the one meal planning, shopping, cooking. So my fam (DH, 2teens at home) knows about how big dinner generally is and they adjust accordingly (pre-training snack for the athlete or she asks for pasta with dinner, big lunch for DH, etc). There are many ways to make the same basic meal a little higher/lower cal, e.g. serving it on spinach vs. rice or pasta. If OP's BF is cooking, then it's probably more realistic for her to adjust, but agreed no harm in asking & sounds like he's receptive and a great guy. I do have an older petite friend who eats almost all her calories at dinner so she can share a meal with her hubby, almost like OMAD style of eating. Works for her. Snacks can be perilous. My family is finally on the same page with snacks, but for years I bought the kids what they requested which was really tempting to me and difficult for me to fit. Separate cabinets helped some. Best to you, OP!
  • rouhnaz
    rouhnaz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow! MFP community, you guys are great!

Thanks everyone!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello.
    It's so exhausting watching him inhale all the delicious bottomless meals all day, while I am 35lbs overweight and cannot lose for the life of me.
    Life ain't fair, that's for d@!$ sure.
    Sorry it doesn't work that way. Life isn't supposed to be "fair".
    Anyone who implies otherwise is a fool or selling something.

You cannot "lose" because you are not consistently eating less calories than you need to maintain your weight.
    Eat less, use more discipline, track more accurately and get on a weight lifting program to build some muscle.

Venting, wishing and dreaming of it will not fix the problem.
    Do not project this on your significant other lest you start resenting them for it.
    The reality is that they might eat 3000 calories today but only 1500 calories tomorrow.
    That is why almost all "thin" people eat "whatever they want but don't gain weight."
    The thin person probably doesn't realize how inconsistent their "low" eating habits are - just like heavier people don't realize how many extra calories they took in.
    Guys who are thin and trying to put on muscle get in the habit of calling themselves "hardgainers" for just this reason.

At the very least it comes across as you feeling sorry for yourself.
    You are blaming your SO for your poor eating habits and are upset that you cannot eat the same things.

Up your protein intake; you are probably not getting enough.

If you do not lift to at least maintain your muscle mass then it will become harder and harder to keep the weight off and your body fat percentage will be higher every time you put any weight back on.
    If you just "lose weight" you will lose fat and muscle in almost every case.

Heavy (for you) weight training adds attractive muscle all over, helps prevent osteoporosis in women and offsets losses due to sarcopenia.
    Adding muscle also raises your BMR. Jogging / running does not do any of those things.
    Hit the weight room and focus on barbell lifts if you want to keep the weight off.

"Thinner Leaner Stronger" or "StrongLifts5x5" are good choices to start with.
    TLS has a lot of information on proper nutrition in it, while SL5x5 is free.

Do HIIT cardio on off-days or after lifting, instead of Steady State cardio.

40 minutes running or on the treadmill will not take the place of 10 minutes doing sprints. Period.
    Efficiency-wise, the only reason for running or jogging is if you are training for something that requires it like marathons, PT tests, etc.
    HIIT cardio is superior in every other case I can think of offhand.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but it is almost certainly what you need to hear.

vhleet23scgr.jpg

• Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I'm just stressed a tad here. I live with my boyfriend who cooks amazing food, orders fatty deep rich pizza from restaurants, devours as much as he pleases and can never seem to synchronize meal time with me.

It's so exhausting watching him inhale all the delicious bottomless meals all day, while I am 35lbs overweight and cannot lose for the life of me.

He never gains anything. Naturally lean and fit.

Life ain't fair, that's for d@!$ sure.

What do you do when you are trying to stay at your calorie limit every day while the person/people you live with eat everything you can't in front of you?

If nothing else, vent with me! Gah!

I'm having the same problem. I have no willpower so I do the shopping, getting healthy foods. Other people in my house bring in all sorts of snacks. :/ I asked them not to, told them how I felt. Nothing works. I need more willpower but so far it hasn't worked out. :(
  • rouhnaz
    rouhnaz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @Ck103084 I'm sorry to hear it's hard. They say cleaning out the kitchen makes a big difference and I realize that's near impossible to do when you share it with other people.

I wish the weight would just magically melt away! I ain't ashamed to say that either! Lol.

I know the struggle! The struggle is real! Lol.

But it can be defeated. You can do it!!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I feel this so much. My boyfriend never seems to gain any weight and when he does it isn't even noticeable. He eats junk food and I swear he has a bottomless pit for a stomach. He is very supportive of me though with my weight loss and fitness lifestyle and encourages me so much. He makes me feel good about myself and I'm thankful that he enjoys fruit more than sugary food.

I also had so many friends in school that were naturally skinny and I was nearing obese at the time. I felt horrible. They would eat crap and not feel guilty about it while I felt horrible. It doesn't affect me so much now but at the time it did.