Had my metabolism tested - interesting results and some questions

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2017
    OP, six weeks is a decent time interval to assess. How are you weighing yourself? Are you using a trending app or rolling average? IMHO, determining my body weight is the least precise part of the equation. Normal fluctuations can mask a slow rate of loss. If you have TOM, a rolling average of the number of days in your cycle would be window through hormone induced fluctuation, but still not perfect.

ETA: all good points from vintagefeline, esp regarding measurements.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Sounds to me like you have been eating more than 1,600 calories. And she tested your RMR (1,800) so the recommendation she gave was based on a calorie deficit of your TDEE (rmr + daily activity and exercise). This is why she said "based on your exercise level".

I am going to say as someone who also has thyroid issues (hypo) that the proof is in the pudding. If you were using less energy as a result of your thyroid hormone levels that would have been reflected in this study.

if you've been staying relatively the same level of activity during this time it would seem the only variable that could be off is your intake. If you haven't lost weight in 6 weeks it seems to me you've been eating around your maintenance calories.

I saw lower your calories by a hundred every week until you start losing weight. You'll probably find that you were overeating and tracking inaccurately. You should have absolutely no issues losing weight at your current body size (even with a thyroid problem).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    MaineMom76 wrote: »
    as to her recommendations - its hard to say because we don't know her qualifications or reasoning. If your TDEE is 1800-2340 depending on exercise then eating below TDEE should result in weight loss.

As to the accuracy of the machine: I have no idea. Will trust you've done your research there. :)

As to eating 1600 without results: how accurate was the 1600, and for how long did you eat at 1600 without weight loss. And was it no loss, or just not as much as you expected?

Over the course of 1 1/2 months, I haven't lost anything.

Her claim was that I'm eating not only below my TDEE but below my RMR, and apparently that's why I wasn't losing, but that also doesn't make sense to me.

Answer above about the accuracy of my calorie intake.

Keep in mind all the numbers are guessimations at best and that CICO is just one factor in weight loss/gains. What is your current Vitamin D level? What is your current CRP (C-Reactive Protein) test results?

Some lose weight quickly and some do not when CICO's are equal. There are reasons for that but the why's are not simple to learn.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    OP, I've been in this situation a few times before, with the exception of having an RMR test. I was losing at a certain calorie level, albeit slowly, and then suddenly stopped losing. I weighed every morsel that could be measured with weight and otherwise measured liquids. I used an activity tracker as well, and yet weight loss just magically and instantly stalled. Everyone on the forums was convinced that I must be eating while I'm sleeping without knowing it or lying about weighing my food.

As it turned out, I was in true plateaus. The worst of which lasted 6 months. After 2 months, I got really frustrated and was about to just plain give up. In compromise rather than give up, I gave up half the time (basically the every other day diet). I still logged everything, but was eating to satisfaction with no restrictions on alternating days. This ended up being about 10K calories on those days. On the diet days, I ate 500 calories per day max. Of course, this was a huge surplus and I should have immediately started gaining weight fast, right?! Nope, because I was in a true plateau. Day-to-day fluctuations became larger, but my weight still hovered around the same base number. After 6 weeks of that, I returned to a normal daily deficit because I figure I had proven I was in a true plateau and if I kept eating at a deficit, maybe there would be a "whoosh" some day. In fact, that is what happened. About 2 months after returning to a normal daily deficit, I finally ended up losing about 9 lbs. in a few days and it stayed off (i.e. not just normal daily fluctuations).

It might be that you are truly in a plateau. If that is the case, then keep eating at a small deficit and trust that you will eventually experience a whoosh. Since you have a pretty good idea of what your RMR is and you track your food in the most accurate method possible, then you should be able to keep at a deficit even if you don't see the loss right away.

10,000 in one day? I'm calling that nonsense. You could literally eat two gallons of ice cream and still not have eaten 10,000 calories. You could eat a restaurant meal six times and not have 10,000 calories. Even Tour de France riders who are on a mountain stage aren't consuming that many calories. It seems to me that you have just demonstrated that your problem was inaccurate calorie counting, not some "true plateau" while waiting for a "swoosh".

On true cheat days, I've consumed way more than that even. It isn't as hard for some of us who have an insatiable appetite. Consider that a lot of restaurant pizzas are around 3K, more or less, just by themselves. And that is only 1 pizza. If I'm eating as much as I want, you think I'm only going to eat 1? No, I'll eat some cheese-sticks too and a cinnastix 'pizza' for dessert. There is half of the calories just for dinner.

Actually, its more like 2,400 for a deep dish pizza. I can believe you might eat a whole pizza and some other stuff to go with it. What I don't believe is that you would eat that much more than three times over in one day. There's a limit to how much you can stuff yourself before you make yourself sick. If you aren't doing something to get your blood pumping, that food is just going to sit in your gut or come back out the way it went in.
  • rainbowbow
    OP, I've been in this situation a few times before, with the exception of having an RMR test. I was losing at a certain calorie level, albeit slowly, and then suddenly stopped losing. I weighed every morsel that could be measured with weight and otherwise measured liquids. I used an activity tracker as well, and yet weight loss just magically and instantly stalled. Everyone on the forums was convinced that I must be eating while I'm sleeping without knowing it or lying about weighing my food.

As it turned out, I was in true plateaus. The worst of which lasted 6 months. After 2 months, I got really frustrated and was about to just plain give up. In compromise rather than give up, I gave up half the time (basically the every other day diet). I still logged everything, but was eating to satisfaction with no restrictions on alternating days. This ended up being about 10K calories on those days. On the diet days, I ate 500 calories per day max. Of course, this was a huge surplus and I should have immediately started gaining weight fast, right?! Nope, because I was in a true plateau. Day-to-day fluctuations became larger, but my weight still hovered around the same base number. After 6 weeks of that, I returned to a normal daily deficit because I figure I had proven I was in a true plateau and if I kept eating at a deficit, maybe there would be a "whoosh" some day. In fact, that is what happened. About 2 months after returning to a normal daily deficit, I finally ended up losing about 9 lbs. in a few days and it stayed off (i.e. not just normal daily fluctuations).

It might be that you are truly in a plateau. If that is the case, then keep eating at a small deficit and trust that you will eventually experience a whoosh. Since you have a pretty good idea of what your RMR is and you track your food in the most accurate method possible, then you should be able to keep at a deficit even if you don't see the loss right away.

10,000 in one day? I'm calling that nonsense. You could literally eat two gallons of ice cream and still not have eaten 10,000 calories. You could eat a restaurant meal six times and not have 10,000 calories. Even Tour de France riders who are on a mountain stage aren't consuming that many calories. It seems to me that you have just demonstrated that your problem was inaccurate calorie counting, not some "true plateau" while waiting for a "swoosh".

I'm not saying i believe said poster's account of events as it wasn't monitored... but...

here's some information on overfeeding as well as someone who tests their RMR, body fat %, and more before and after overfeeding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPI5cuq3NPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cIbIvEGJM
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I saw lower your calories by a hundred every week until you start losing weight. You'll probably find that you were overeating and tracking inaccurately. You should have absolutely no issues losing weight at your current body size (even with a thyroid problem).

^^^^

That.
  • GaleHawkins

Hey some of us did not become obese by only over eating by 100 calories a day. :)

It is my view on 10,000 calorie days many of them will just ride out the backdoor.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    OP please open your diary.
  • rainbowbow

Hey some of us did not become obese by only over eating by 100 calories a day. :)

It is my view on 10,000 calorie days many of them will just ride out the backdoor.

Nope. The body requires significantly more energy to digest the volume of food required to reach 10,000 calories. RMR is raised, body temp is raised, heart rate and blood sugar levels are raised, etc.

• GaleHawkins
    edited March 2017

Nope. The body requires significantly more energy to digest the volume of food required to reach 10,000 calories. RMR is raised, body temp is raised, heart rate and blood sugar levels are raised, etc.

Even the potential calories that ride out the back door on said days? Undigested food adds to your calorie burned number? Are you not forgetting CICO?
  • rainbowbow

Even the potential calories that ride out the back door on said days? Undigested food adds to your calorie burned number? Are you not forgetting CICO?

Can you clarify what you mean here?