DNA Testing for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I didn't think any of the gene mapping done to date was at the level of specificity to identify food intolerances - but I'd have to do some research

I'm thinking that it probably just indicates generalities. For example, something like 75% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant. I'm guessing if the DNA indicated that the person had Native American ancestors, it would say that she may be lactose intolerant.

possibly - but this thread seems that people think it may be more...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of non scientific sources that are nevertheless informative on it:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/09/18/weight.loss.dna.analysis.jampolis/index.html?iref=24hours

http://www.self.com/story/i-tried-dna-testing-for-fitness-and-weight-management

I've had some family members tested for family history things so am interested, but was skeptical about what it would show and it appears that there is reason to be skeptical.
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To each there own. If I do get it done, I'll update on here.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that had her family DNA tested because they are dealing with some chronic illnesses. As a part of that testing, a section on weight loss/gain/obesity was also done. When we went over the entire test what I saw was that the information they gave her (specifically) about gaining/losing weight actually hampered her regarding weight loss. She ended up with the attitude that "her genes were basically dooming her to obesity" so what was the point? Even though she had previously lost weight using CICO. So while genetic testing for illnesses, etc. can be quite helpful, I would stay far away from anything weight related. I think like someone else said, it's going to be pretty generic (and that's how I felt about hers).
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    I'm a genealogy buff, and DNA is revolutionary for learning about your family history.

YES! It's worth it if you're interested in that. I feel like it almost totally changed my life. But weight loss--gee whiz, I'm the type of person who needs to eat less, imagine that! I already know I'm lactose intolerant. No wait, that's allergic? Anyway, do it in conjunction with genealogy, it can help you piece together some of the missing links.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I am furious with my DNA test results. It said my ancestors came from Africa. Elephants. :angry:

hahaha. You'd be surprised how many people will argue that, "No one in my family has ever been to Africa or Asia." :lol:
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just want someone to DNA test me and Gattaca-style tell me what's wrong with me so I can remove the offending body parts before they kill me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nvm
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades what's your point? If I choose to get a DNA test, then what is it to you? Funny you and most of the others who replied are giving advice on something they don't know anything about, and then have the nerve to ask me to educate you when you typed that response on the internet