DNA Testing for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades what's your point? If I choose to get a DNA test, then what is it to you? Funny you and most of the others who replied are giving advice on something they don't know anything about, and then have the nerve to ask me to educate you when you typed that response on the internet

How much do YOU really know about it...other than what a slick website tells you - a website to sell DNA tests.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    From what I read, a lot of athletes and those who participate in the Olympics use it religiously.
    Are you going to compete for the Olympics? These are ELITE athletes and small variances matter for their BEST PERFORMANCE in their chosen sport. So for them it makes sense.
    But the average everyday person? Nah. You want to lose weight, then you eat less than you burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    From what I read, a lot of athletes and those who participate in the Olympics use it religiously.
    Are you going to compete for the Olympics? These are ELITE athletes and small variances matter for their BEST PERFORMANCE in their chosen sport. So for them it makes sense.
    But the average everyday person? Nah. You want to lose weight, then you eat less than you burn.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Reminds me of people so convinced they need N2 in their tires because they use it in Nascar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    This has "scam" written all over it. Mail me $500 and I'll give you your magic DNA fortune to lose weight.

This week only, I'll do it for $489.
    Mail me $500 and I'll write a new program for you every week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher and @ndj1979 I asked for feed back from those who have gotten this done. Do you not understand?
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff so as a trainer you would speak against new scientific tools to help one possibly maximize their weight loss?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff so as a trainer you would speak against new scientific tools to help one possibly maximize their weight loss?

The key being "scientific". That's as opposed to a useless scam like DNA testing. Unless you have some peer-reviewed RCTs showing its effectiveness?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm skeptical that they do, anyway, although I'm interested in sources and would read them.

I'm interested in DNA tests just for research purposes, and have played with them for family history (and deep ancestry). So I am not coming at this from an anti-testing perspective, OP, but everything I've seen so far suggests that they predict whether you are likely to be lactose intolerant (but I know I'm not), celiac (I know I'm not), have issues with caffeine (I don't think so, but I suppose that might be interesting).

It says if you are more likely to be good at endurance or power, but presumably that wouldn't help an Olympic athletic. It says if you are likely to recover quickly or have tendon issues, but again surely they know from experience. It says if you are prone to overweight, but how is that helpful?

Oh, and supposedly the diet advice is in a very narrow range and Olympic athletes are likely to know much more from experimentation in that they aren't that great at really understanding the tests yet.

Here's a comparison of a bunch of companies from someone who did it.

http://www.theblondeethos.com/blog/2015/10/fitness-dna-tests-review
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I did dna testing for fun. I mostly wanted the ethnicity portion. It was only $100, so it wasn't a huge waste of money.

There were some interesting health reports; I'm predisposed to be slightly overweight (I'm not, but have been). I have 1 copy of the "power gene" (I've competed in 2 powerlifting competitions). The test just confirmed things I already knew.

If you are going to get more information than generic advice on how to lose weight, then it might be worth it.