DNA Testing for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    @ninerbuff so as a trainer you would speak against new scientific tools to help one possibly maximize their weight loss?
    Ain't new. It's actually been thought about for over 20 years. And I'm NEVER against new methodology AS LONG AS it's actually legit. This isn't legit. Why can one twin get fat and the other stay lean if they share the same exact genetics?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

magic?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Livescience has an article about it.

The study, not peer reviewed, shows out of 101 only 5 obese women lost weight on the DNA recommended diet. There is no information if they kept it off.

• leanjogreen18
    edited March 2017
    Options
    http://www.livescience.com/15137-genetic-test-lose-weight.html

Seems they are told how much to reduce carbs or fat.

Personally I'd save my 500 and give this testing several more years and some peer reviewed studies, especially since just eating in a deficit is working nicely.
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher actually it is what I wrote. What you or "Joe Schmoe" THINKS isn't insightful, it's strongly subjective. And bc "that's the way things go" doesn't mean that's the way it has to be... Something to ponder on, there was a a lot developed by NASA for astronauts (small percentage compared to us commoners) that we all use daily now. There is much one can learn and lots more to be learned by analyzing DNA
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I didn't think any of the gene mapping done to date was at the level of specificity to identify food intolerances - but I'd have to do some research

I'm thinking that it probably just indicates generalities. For example, something like 75% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant. I'm guessing if the DNA indicated that the person had Native American ancestors, it would say that she may be lactose intolerant.

I have a percentage of native american blood,from 3 different tribes(not sure of percentages as I havent done DNA but my sister did trace our lineage), and Im not lactose intolerant.so that would throw the study off one would think.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I didn't think any of the gene mapping done to date was at the level of specificity to identify food intolerances - but I'd have to do some research

I'm thinking that it probably just indicates generalities. For example, something like 75% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant. I'm guessing if the DNA indicated that the person had Native American ancestors, it would say that she may be lactose intolerant.

I have a percentage of native american blood,from 3 different tribes(not sure of percentages as I havent done DNA but my sister did trace our lineage), and Im not lactose intolerant.so that would throw the study off one would think.

I'm partially of Native American heritage also, and not lactose intolerant in the least. I consume dairy products on a daily basis with no problems.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'm partially of Native American heritage also, and not lactose intolerant in the least. I consume dairy products on a daily basis with no problems.

Interesting. My mother-in-law was full blooded, and my hubby is slightly lactose intolerant. I wonder if it gets diluted enough after a certain percentage that it doesn't matter?
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @Tacklewasher actually it is what I wrote. What you or "Joe Schmoe" THINKS isn't insightful, it's strongly subjective. And bc "that's the way things go" doesn't mean that's the way it has to be... Something to ponder on, there was a a lot developed by NASA for astronauts (small percentage compared to us commoners) that we all use daily now. There is much one can learn and lots more to be learned by analyzing DNA

does not matter...weight loss still comes down to CICO, regardless of DNA..

not sure why that is so hard to understand...

Good point even if the testing is helpful, which apparently their own study only shows 5% success, it seems all it recommends is either lowering carbs or fat by a certain amount. Might be helpful knowing that but useless if it's not sustainable in my opinion.

My luck it would say very low carbs and I wasted 500 bucks because I'm eating plenty of carbs now and losing nicely. I won't restrict again.

But if you've got the money AND you can live with the results why not, I guess. Personally id still wait until more studies are done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Bet you get weird when drinking alcohol though.............. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

If you want to spend your money on genetic testing and see if you have any genetic defects or markers for any genetic issues(that can cause your weight loss to be harder than normal) that is one thing, but to have a DNA test for weight loss? no,save your money. I have a few genetic defects and one of them causes me to have a metabolic disorder, I still lose weight with CICO,although its slower I still lose. I have to also be more active than most people(resulting in a higher deficit).but that is me.
  • kristielove
    Options
    For all, I never said my mind was made up. If that were the case I would have just ordered. I asked to get REAL feedback from REAL tester. I too am skeptical. I was actually considering getting a genetic study for heritage and health and happened to come across it.
  • kristielove
    Options
    If I have the time, I will post credible reviews from medical journals via my college database